Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T - What gauge metal for a board rack?
chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
O/T - What gauge metal for a board rack?

Hi all,

Am just about to make a metal board rack for some windsurf boards to go in the back of my van - problem is I know I will massively over engineer it - so I thought I'd ask some advice!

Description
Description

Here's a pretty basic picture of the rack, with dimensions in mm. The black lines I was going to make out of small (?15mm) box section, with the rods for the boards (blue) in round tube (no idea of size for that) and the stiffening pieces (red) in the same round tube.

It will be secured in the back of a vw transporter, and will carry at most 6 boards, each weighing max 10kg (actually more like 7.5kg each)

Any suggestions regarding gauge of steel, or other constructive criticism appreciated - first thing like this I've made - will be mig welding it together...

Thanks!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

blakep82

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
i'd be surprised if 1mm gauge too thin.
if you think abou the original book chassis made of 1.6 mm and all the loads and stresses on a chassis, this rack will take none of that.

i'd say 1mm, but you could probably go to 0.8 or maybe even 0.6mm

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
what have you got available and what can you weld?

0.6mm would probably more than do the job, its just be surprised if you could weld it well enough without TIG (no experience but i keep hearing how hard it is to mig really thin stuff).

I'd prob go 1mm as the thinnest just so i could manufacture it.

How are you going to stop the boards sliding?

How are you going to stop the entire thing sliding? If you're bolting it to the floor with a bolt in each corner you don't need the red floor line - although its prob a nice idea.

chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I can gas weld, but will practice mig on some bits until I'm happy...

Will be buying the steel in, so can choose - obviously the cheaper the better! The boards will be strapped down onto foam wrapped round the bars, and the whole thing will be strapped to the load securing eyes in the floor of the van - so it will be a bit easier to get out if needs be...

Chris

iank

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've no idea if this is a practical idea for surf boards, but wouldn't it be better to rotate your rack by 90 degrees so the boards are on edge? (toast rack stylee)
That way the blue bars won't be under such large loads when you bounce over a bump.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have got them side on at the moment, but we think that flat will give us more free space in the van for other things...

Sounds like 1 mm wall is about right then?

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 27/3/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Why not wood? CLS or fencing rails are cheap enough and probs OK for the job.

chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Got a wooden one at the moment! Fancy trying something in metal as a project for welding, also as the metal can be thinner, should give me a bit more space for boards...

Good idea though!

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.