Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top (Tigra woes AGAIN) emissions failure
Mansfield

posted on 13/10/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top (Tigra woes AGAIN) emissions failure

I realise you are probably watching England stuff Estonia but it is Tigra time again.

It failed the MOT today - on emissions.

The MOT testers think it is probably the CAT, but they can't be sure.

Description
Description

CO, HC & Lambda are all high. Car runs OK, EGR blanked off - has been for years, new air filter probably wouldn't hurt though.

The cat is just over a year old as is the rest of the exhaust, but it was quite cheap.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

[Edited on 13/10/07 by Mansfield]

froggy

posted on 13/10/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
why was the speed and temp measurement by passed? if its got a cheap cat on they need a proper thrashing to get through, were you with the car when it was tested?
rusty nuts

posted on 13/10/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
If car had been idling whilst being tested then had a quick run up that is the result I would expect. I always run up to above 3.000 rpm and watch the screen until reading will pass before lowering revs into test limits. As already suggested oil temperature has been bi passed,not always a problem if test has been carried out fairly.
Mansfield

posted on 13/10/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was with the car, he held the revs around 3000 for quite a while. Fan was cutting in and out as he kept trying to pass it, so it was hot.

They are pretty good where I go (Alans Test Centre - Mansfield), they did try to pass it.

Edit - I was watching the screen and although it got a bit better over time it was never going to get down far enough.

[Edited on 13/10/07 by Mansfield]

froggy

posted on 13/10/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
i have had a few vauxhalls which have had cheap(half sized cats) fitted that refuse to go through the emmisions,what i do is send the revs up to 4.5k and watch to see how far the hc go down, if they drop below 100ppm then the co will start to come down but it looks like cat to me too
rusty nuts

posted on 13/10/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Lambda sensor may be at fault? cheaper than a cat and can be tested. Coolant temperature sensor could be at fault? If you can get at it, easy to test
wilkingj

posted on 13/10/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield
I was with the car, he held the revs around 3000 for quite a while. Fan was cutting in and out as he kept trying to pass it, so it was hot.

no No NO!!!..
Service it first... plugs, oil, filter, Air filter etc.

Then just before the MoT take it for a 20 minute THRASH. Give it the works, and then arrive at the MoT centre with it RED HOT. Then do the test.

Mine failed exactly like yours.
You need the service, especially the oil and filters. I didnt believe how much difference it made.

Just going in with the engine warm isnt enough, especially with higer mileage cars.

I think you will notice a big difference in the readings.

My MoT Man is under orders to take my car for a good thrashing before the emissions test. Its worth the effort.

Mind you if the CAT is dead, then that will not help, and you would have needed to do some more work anyway.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mansfield

posted on 13/10/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
New cat is £70, assuming I need one is that too cheap?

Got to go and fix the in-laws Corsa now, does it never end?

Thanks

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.