Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car mounted cameras
Avoneer

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Car mounted cameras

I know quite a lot of you have them so what are the options?

Last time I recorded anything was with my old big thing on the roll bar of my Avon.

Came out ok, but was big, heavy and clumbersome and used a tape.

Trying to do it cheap as well.

I know you can get ebay digital 'corders - any recommendations?

Bullet cam would be nice so what are the options there.

Not really after a dedicated black box in the car as can't use if for other things if I go that route.

A neat roll bar mount would be nice as well.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grub

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
make some films

i am using a hq1 camera from dogcamsport.co.uk fantastic quality just like watching telly the best way to copy is through your av in socket on ya camera onto a tape, not a digital one.
Hellfire

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Using this

and this

from

this will let you mount it basically on tube or flat bench etc.

Get a Video Camera with AV Input - then bullet cam - aint gonna be cheap though Pat... prolly £150-£200.

Steve

EDIT: You can use Digital Video tape, but steer clear of Digital Disc Recorders.

[Edited on 9-10-07 by Hellfire]

Pants On Fire

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine from DogCamSport, good range from beginner to broadcast quality. The supplied suction cups work really well, I never needed to adjust mine even after 11 laps of the Ring a few weeks ago. Having said that I did try a few laps with the camera cable tied to the centre mirror as well.

I bought the Sony Pro 550 with zoom function and have paired it with an Archos 504 Juke Box. I tried it with video camera with an AV in but it was just soooooo fiddly to set up & bulky. The Archos is velro'd to the tunnel up against the rear panel and I can quickly glance at the view the camera has and hit record very easily. The Archos records straight into .avi format so easy to manipulate on PC and upload to YouTube.

Mine's now hard wired in, just unplug the AV in plug from the Archos and walk away.

You'll need to try different microphone positions, I found up inside the dash to be the best, no wind but you get engine note & exhaust note with a hint of screaming in the background.

[Edited on 9/10/07 by Pants On Fire]

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Hellfire

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants On Fire
Got mine from DogCamSport, good range from beginner to broadcast quality. The supplied suction cups work really well, I never needed to adjust mine even after 11 laps of the Ring a few weeks ago. Having said that I did try a few laps with the camera cable tied to the centre mirror as well.

I bought the Sony Pro 550 with zoom function and have paired it with an Archos 504 Juke Box. I tried it with video camera with an AV in but it was just soooooo fiddly to set up & bulky. The Archos is velro'd to the tunnel up against the rear panel and I can quickly glance at the view the camera has and hit record very easily. The Archos records straight into .avi format so easy to manipulate on PC and upload to YouTube.

Mine's now hard wired in, just unplug the AV in plug from the Archos and walk away.

You'll need to try different microphone positions, I found up inside the dash to be the best, no wind but you get engine note & exhaust note with a hint of screaming in the background.

£500

with due respect I'd rather spend that on something else....

Steve

Ivan

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants On Fire

£500

with due respect I'd rather spend that on something else....

Steve

£500 - thats two Locosts

Bitten hero

posted on 9/10/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
have noticed that screwfix are selling a bullet cam for somthing like £49 not sure what its like

gingerprince

posted on 9/10/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bitten hero
Hi
have noticed that screwfix are selling a bullet cam for somthing like £49 not sure what its like

http://www.screwfix.com/searc h.do;jsessionid=LLRQGOZURDJTGCSTHZOCFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bullet+camera#

400 lines, so not the highest quality.

Avoneer

posted on 9/10/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've not got a camera with av in though either.

Just my old thing.

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 9/10/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've not got a camera with av in though either.

Just my old thing.

Pat...

hobbsy

posted on 9/10/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend the Mobibox MP410 (now MP415 - not nec. the camera that comes with the MP415 though).

2.5" screen, records MPEG4 at 640x480 30fps, AV in and out (for playing back on big screen). Also plays mp3s, photos, records sound only, built in radio, small fold out speakers.

Does about 1hr to a 1gig SD card (£5) or 2hrs on a 2gig (£10).

Problem with tape or hard disk based ones in vibration (well depending where mounted and being a BEC doesn't help).

This basically:

Have a look on www.fastfilms.co.uk they sell it but you can get it cheaper elsewhere

[Edited on 9/10/07 by hobbsy]

procomp

posted on 9/10/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all the locost race vids on you tube are done with a MUSTEK cammera. Theres different models but all have simalar results and quality ect. Admittedly not the ultimate in quality of picture but good enough.

They can be brought on the bay for as little as £28 + posting from various suppliers.

cheers Matt

stevec

posted on 9/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if you could mod one of these.
link

Hellfire

posted on 9/10/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Wonder if you could mod one of these.
link

That's a cracking description - especially the part where is says "made from proper metal" LMAO!!!

Steve

jos

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
www.4kam.co.uk

i organised a bulk buy not long ago and am very happy with the footage i got from the setup

roll bar mount
Buy an exhaust clamp and short length of angle ali (iron would do)
drill holes in the angle iron to suit the exhaust clamp - through these holes you secure the bullet cam mount to the car
through the other face of the angle iron drill 2 hols at each end - through these hole syou zip tie the bullet cam to the mount
hey presto - job done

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

bimbleuk

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I use a bullet camera on our Radical Clubsport as it doesn't suffer from the vibrations. On my kit car the Sony DV camcorder works fine.

My mounts come from either Fast Films or B-Hague. The bullet camera, Li Ion battery pack and Zorst mic were from Dogcamsport. The Zorst mic only records above a certain level and is the only mic I've found to work on the race car.

Bullet camera mounts
Bullet camera mounts

JoelP

posted on 9/10/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
i used a canon camcorder and a bullet cam from dogcamsport, came to about £400ish all in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.