Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small generator making no spark
mojoTrev

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Small generator making no spark

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with this - its driving me MAD!!!

I have a small 2 stroke generator (Exactly the same as the one recently in makro for £39, wolf power do the same one in yellow), but for no reason, yesterday while using it - it stopped. Enough fuel in it, air filter is bone dry (normal cause of failures). Fuel is getting all the way into the carb so I took off the spark plug and tested it on the mojo's engine - nice big spark, but I have no spark at all on the generator. Having stripped the genny apart I have found what looks like a small coil pack (centre of photo) with a long thick black lead that goes off to the spark plug. I am getting a resistance of 0 ohms through it - a dead short across it, but is this normal????
I must stress that all basic electrical fault finding has been eliminated - switches, cut off switches, continuity of every wire etc...., just not too sure about this coil type thing!

Failing any good advice on fixing mine - as makro now charge £65+VAT for the same genny, anyone know of a cheap supplier of these?

Many thanks in advance,

Mojo Trev.

EDIT - adding photos has not worked, they are in my photo archive - mojotrev, any help gratefully received

http://www.sylvamojo.blogspot.com/

[Edited on 22/9/07 by mojoTrev]

[Edited on 22/9/07 by mojoTrev]

Fatgadget

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Your mojos ignition system is not the same as your gennys. Best way to test for spark is to stick a screwdriver into the plug cap,then hold it close to a bolt and then pull start the engine.
mojoTrev

posted on 22/9/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oh right, I was holding the spark plug against an earthed part of the chassis on the mojo with the ignition lead on it, it was sparking, then did the same on the genny and no spark. I will try the trick with the screwdriver, out of interest what are principals behind the genny that make it different?

Many thanks,

MojoTrev.

Chippy

posted on 22/9/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, silly question maybe, but you havn't got a low oil level cut out on the unit? If not I would say that the coil pack has given up the ghost. Cheers Ray
PS. have attached your picture for you.
Description
Description

dave r

posted on 23/9/07 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Hi, silly question maybe, but you havn't got a low oil level cut out on the unit?

2 stroke, so it will be a first if it has

Chippy

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ermmmm! I claim brain fade as an excuse! Never noticed it was 2 stroke. Ray
Macbeast

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've got what looks like the same model and it doesn't start either. I thought I had checked for spark but will again.

Looking forward to reading your solution

RickRick

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
looks like i might well have the same one from the pics, and had the no spark problem also. mine was cured by chopping the nasty plug cap off and fitting a new one, ngk i think. the HT lead joined the spark plub using some dodgy spring stabbed into the lead inside the cap and it'd come loose
mojoTrev

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE!

I will chop the end off the ht lead and attached something else to eliminate it.
Prob wont have results till Thu eve but will post back as soon as I find out.

Many thanks so far,

Trevor.

Macbeast

posted on 2/10/07 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yes mine is the same. I found HT lead. like yours in pic, was not clipped into plastic clip just to the left of silvery bracket. Possibly your spark is shorting to the metalwork.

However I do have spark (fairly weak looking ) but it still doesn't start. Plug is wet . Even from new, this genny was a pig to start and VERY noisy. Would a 4-stroke be quieter ?

Macbeast

posted on 30/12/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
So. OK what happened ?

Did you ever get it started ? I didn't

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.