Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why compromise??
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Why compromise??

With all the discussion just now about front engined or rear engined we have missed out one obvious option why not have both!! Like this mad moke Rescued attachment twini.jpg
Rescued attachment twini.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Seem to recall that BMC were developing it as a military go anywhere vehicle but it never quite took off (!).
One was used for hillclimbs and sprints in the late 60's/early 70's and went by the name of the Fairley Poke.
Cheers, Pewe

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Two gear levers!! that means you could have it in forward and reverse!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Issigonis crash one of those and decide they were a bit tooo mad?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

russbost

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
When I raced autoX in the early/middle seventies there was a special called the "Buffey Mowog" which had a Cooper S engine & manual box in the front & a Cooper S engine with auto box in the back. It used to go like a rocket & the auto box just shifted gear as conditions demanded.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Didn't Issigonis crash one of those and decide they were a bit tooo mad?

Thought it was John Cooper that crashed one but according to the wife i am not right very often if at all

02GF74

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Seem to recall that BMC were developing it as a military go anywhere vehicle but it never quite took off (!).

The MOD were trialling these as well as Citroen 2CV for a air portable go anywhere vehicle. Niether were up to the job - too little gournd clearence on the moke and 2CV suspension too weak; the result ofthe trials was the 1/2 Ton Land Rover, more commonly know as the Lightweight.

By the time they came in tor production, the lifting capacity of the Westland helicopter had increased which meant that they were somewht superflous but look dead goodthough

MikeRJ

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
It was John Cooper, but it was a twin engined Mini Cooper that he crashed, not a Moke. Allegedly one of the tie rods came adrift on the rear end.

Some more details for anyone interested.

iank

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
As said ^^^ it was John Cooper who crashed the twini. It was pretty much the last nail in the coffin of Cooper F1 though they were already in decline.

For an off-road mini the ANT prototype was better.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Two gear levers!! that means you could have it in forward and reverse!!

This could answer the age old question of what’s better…a BEC or a CEC…tug of war!!!

DIY Si

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I knew someone crucial to minis had crashed a twin engined version, just couldn't quite be sure who and which version!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jlparsons

posted on 26/3/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes did that with a funky high performance a-class i think. two 1.9 engines. Nippy.

Perhaps the extra weight let them get the better of the elk in the end...!

[Edited on 26/3/07 by jlparsons]

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

steve m

posted on 26/3/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nice Piccy

brings back child hood memories of me dangling my hand over the side, aged about 6 while living in africa, much to my mothers concern,
i remember the speed, it was sooo fast, NOT !!
but to be that open and that close to the ground with no roof, sides, any fomr of protection against anything, and no seatbelts

sheer bliss

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.