Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diy seat trimming
mark_mcd

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
diy seat trimming

this sounds a bit of a wierd question but it just crossed my mind scanning ebay.

how hard would it be to re-trim a car seat presuming the person (likely your mum/gran/other half ) is actually any good with a sewing machine?

you see companies that offer to retrim in leather etc but if you bought a nackered set of seats would it be easy enough to get patterns and get you own done 'locost' style?

whats involved - just need pattern for the seats you want?

you get the idea

Mark

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking not really that easy... with my limited knowlege of sewing machines, I don't think home sewing machine stitching would be strong enough

but, hopefully i'm wrong, and you'll be able to do it

[Edited on 14/3/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the material and the machine.

I managed to stitch together carpet, piping and alcantera using my home machine.

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
you see, i was wrong!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Key things I found was:

Use the right thread - domestic cotton won't cut the mustard

Go slowly and pin it together properly before sewing.

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you see, i was wrong!

Not really - the tunnel top was the second attempt and each attempt took pretty much an entire day to do...

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Always worth doing a test piece on the machine you're intending on using.

Picture below was what the nice lady in John Lewis did for me prior to purchasing the machine.. Rescued attachment testpiece.jpg
Rescued attachment testpiece.jpg

mark_mcd

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
was thinking more cloth than leather as didn't think a home machine would do it...

could you get templates anywhere?

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
No reason why a home machine shouldn't be able to cope with leather so long as you use the right thread / needle. I had to use a leather needle to cope with the carpet....and that's a darned bit thicker than your typical cowhide...

As for patterns....not that I know of...

02GF74

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
No reason why a home machine shouldn't be able to cope with leather so long as you use the right thread / needle. I had to use a leather needle to cope with the carpet....and that's a darned bit thicker than your typical cowhide...

depends on the machine and how much oompf it has to get through thick stuff.

go to a shoe repair shop and look at their machines - you ickle girlie blouse making sewing machine will look puny in comparison.

RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Leather really needs an industrial machine but I discovered that Alcantara is quite easy to sew with a domestic machine, but you need to get a strong thread to make the finished job durable.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I got my buggy’s hood altered by a truck cover manufacturer. Wow their machines are tough, even put the needle through the plastic zip without slowing down. Quite scary really, loose your fingers easily.

I have an old singer hand operated one, unfortunately I don't have the instructions and so far have not managed to make the bottom bobbin thing work. I must find someone who knows about these things, as I'm sure it could sew ally plate together it so well built!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I bought my wife the overlocker that Aldi had on offer just after the air tools recently. Nothing to do with the fact that it says it will sew leather

Actually, one of my daughters did say to my wife - "what does Dad want you to make?" And the other said "Is Dad feeling guilty because he bought himself new toys?". They definitely have the wrong impression of me - I will remind them when they want their cars fixed!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Hammerhead

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I run an upholstery business. I have a machine, Alcantara is easy to sew, you could probably do it with a domestic machine, but you should get upholstery thread as its thicker. John Lewis do Guttermans upholstery threads.

Or find a back street upholstery shop to make and recover the seats for you, bet it would only cost you a small amount.

mark_mcd

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
so it seems sewing it would be easy enough but what about getting the seat pattern? for example for mx5 seats...
andyps

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
A pattern is easy - just use the existing cover. Take it off carefully and if necessary separate the various sections and there in front of you is the pattern. Just make the new material sections the same size and sew them together with the same seam width and it should fit!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem is when you are trimming a bare shell and dont have anything to copy. Then you have to risk using your very expensive material and ending up with a second rate job, or handing the whole job to a professional trimmer with a (hopefully) guaranteed good result. This is one area where I know my limits so I put my hand in my overdraft

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Hammerhead

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
use some cheap cloth for the mock up stage if you have a bare shell.

[Edited on 14/3/07 by Hammerhead]

mark_mcd

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
so if you have the existing pattern it should be fairly straightforward?
mark_mcd

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
also apart from leather and alcantara what materials should be used for a clothj trim for example that would wear well. what do car makers use for cloth trim?
RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Usually it is a heavy cloth or vinyl with a thin foam backing. Any vehicle trimmer will sell you the right stuff.

Cheers,
Raz

Hammerhead

posted on 14/3/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the fabric in cloth cars is polyester treated with fire retardent chemicals. Best to use leather, vinyl, or alcantara (faux suede) for cars imho.

iank

posted on 14/3/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't some of the open top smarts come with neoprene seat covers? Waterproof is good

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.