Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prejudice
chrisg

posted on 29/6/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Prejudice

We're talking automotive prejudice - which cars do you hate and why?

I'll start us off

Anything "max power"
Why? It's the emperors new clothes thing, you know.

Lad in car thinks"wow, how cool do I look"
Everyone else thinks" what a twat". no, really, they do.

Ford Ka
Why? just look at the thing. Is it a novelty teapot or a partially inflated beach ball?

Trying to be "cute" for the sake of it. ought to come with a balaclava.

Every new car

Bit of a sweeping statement that one, but really, did I miss a meeting, who sacked all the car stylists?

For Example, gentlemen I give you the New Megane. I'm sure they were after "head turning" but they ended up with "stomach Turning"

I can just imagine the "Ad"men going
" well ,lets draw attention to the back end with the ads, then it'll look like we meant it"

What are yours, the more irrational the better?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Metal Hippy

posted on 29/6/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Caterhams.

Seriously though...

The new Mini.

Should be called the Fatty.

Blatently misses the point of the original.

I'm all for German over-engineering, but not when it totally changes an icon....

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

andyps

posted on 29/6/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Currently - all Ferraris, because if the only way they can win on the race track is to cheat, how can we be sure the raod cars are any good? (be nice to have the ability to try one though!)

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/6/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
hey chris!

I hired a Ka once on hol and it was quite fun. But then most cars are on hol.

Except the vitara I had 2 years back. Worst POC I ever drove.

The Megane, well, my wife has a 3 month old one on the drive.

Once you get used to the 'my bum DOES look big in this looks, it goes and handles quite well. 115hp from a 1.6, and 205 wide 16 ins tyres.

Its half the price of my 318 beemer and just about as good on the road.

Now the beetle - what kinda car has a vase for flowers in!

As for useless accessories - coloured tyre valve caps and aero fuel caps - on a peugeot 106?

for me, gold plated fuses and megawat car stereos are right at the top of the total wally list.

atb

steve

Jon Ison

posted on 29/6/03 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
any car with a caravan attached.......been here B4 aint we ?

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/6/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the wally box menace would be fairly tame in Chesterfield, you want to try living down here!

The cars I hate is anything pretending to be what it isn't..
.. japanese shite pretending to be BMW's, the copying is good but they never quite cut it
.. replica kit cars such as the Ferrari copies, again they look OK from 30 yards away, but up close they are usually badly finished and crude
.. Lotus 7 copies........oops!

paulbeyer

posted on 29/6/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
any car with a caravan attached.......been here B4 aint we ?

I have a long memory Mr Ison, my time will come.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Alan B

posted on 29/6/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
For me it not so much particular cars, more the so called fashionable trends I see round here (maybe UK too?)

SUVs and pickups fitted with ultra-low profile tyres and the lowered to F1 type ground clearance......why?...if you wanted a track car why buy a f*****g truck?

Clear lights.....again why?...IMO they look awful...

Neon lights on the side lighting the road, lit washer jets, ..why?, why?. why?

Huge chromed wheels....really tacky....

and last but not least.....a 1.5" exhaust system that ends up with 4" tailpipe....

I guess nobody ever went out of business underestimating the amout of knobs there are out there who will buy this kind of shite...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/6/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
.. replica kit cars such as the Ferrari copies, again they look OK from 30 yards away, but up close they are usually badly finished and crude
.. Lotus 7 copies........oops!

Ferrari reps looking crude!

You should have seen the replicas at Newark. Im not a Ferrari expert, but those, the GT40 and the lambos were bloody excellent!

The ferraris even had (in one case) numberplates issued by a ferrari dealer - lots of attention to detail. Rescued attachment ferraris.jpg
Rescued attachment ferraris.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/6/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
and the gt40....

Rescued attachment gt40.jpg
Rescued attachment gt40.jpg

chrisg

posted on 29/6/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
No thread hyjack Mr Gusterson!

And as for the Megane......

It is a new bench mark for very ugly indeed........

Saw the new Scenic in France. Oh my god.

It's always been a pointless car, I mean a massive body and no more seats than a micra, but now it's hideous, pointless car.

Who buys a people carrier that DOSEN'T CARRY ANYMORE PEOPLE?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Wadders

posted on 29/6/03 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Pleece cars, specially them with no markings, underhand, sneaky and downright not fair
bob

posted on 29/6/03 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
BMW's well maybe not the cars but the drivers,they seem to have this thing about being at the front whereever the front is.

Lotus elize/MX5's/MGF's are ok new as the hairdresser that owns it is normally a sort,but when they get older they are more affordable to the uglier fatter peroxide hairdresser.
I know i'm being critical here but hey its the truth,i've wasted a lot of time turning my head only to be eyeball to eyeball with a very insecure bloke or avery ugly hairdresser.

All MPV's and 4x4's doing the school run which is obviously what they were designed for,well the 4x4's anyhow.

[Edited on 29/6/03 by bob]

Noodle

posted on 30/6/03 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Using the word 'sports' in advertisements. What the hell does that mean? Croquet?

Anything front wheel drive. It's that simple. Wrap these motors up and sell 'em any way you like, spend billions on R&D, marketing and the BTCC, but they still won't powerslide.

Just to prove I'm not that prejudiced, the Subaru Justy is a God-awful POS.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/03 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
Anything front wheel drive. It's that simple. Wrap these motors up and sell 'em any way you like, spend billions on R&D, marketing and the BTCC, but they still won't powerslide.

And very few FWD cars have gearchanges that get anywhere near those found on RWD cars, even the cheaper ones. For example, in my early driving days I drove a Ford Anglia (just like in Harry Potter!) which had a delightful gearchange... even if the ratios were useless...

You really can't beat having a gearstick straight off the box.

DJ

andyps

posted on 30/6/03 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
The BMW X5 has to be top of my list - ugly as hell in my view, not really any good off road (buy a Disco if thats what you want) and not good enough on road (buy a 5 series estate for that) - totally pointless car. Lots of people with more money than taste seem to disagree with me though!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
No thread hyjacking mr gibbs.

Just a chance to show some nice piccies!

When I first saw the megane I thought what a stupid looking car with all the luggage space chopped off by the stylists.

The 3 door - which we have - looks a bit better - and I have come to quite like the styling - however the load space is still shagged due to the 'bum' styling chopping about a foot out of the boot, unless you want to put things 300mm high in there.

The old megane was great for space - even crammed 2 8x4 sheets of steel in there once. Id get shot for doing than now

atb

steve

kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
What was the name of the club with all the GT40s and Ferraris? The "If I was a lot richer I'd have a small penis" club? Not the most amusing club though - that's taken by the locust enthusiasts club, as if it's not bad enough owning one, you have to be enthusiastic about it too!!!

I can't think of a single SUV that doesn't annoy me, and they seem to get bigger and bigger all the time. It seems a very selfish attitude, "I want me and my children to be safe, how can I do this, well, either I can drive a car that's well designed and has plenty of crumple zones, air bags etc, or I can just get the heaviest car on earth, use more petrol than a cross channel ferry, and totally maim anything else that I drive into, oh, and I think I'll get it with bull bars too, that way I'll be able to drive like a totally moron with little risk to myself or my children."

I feel better now. Who else can I offend?

Kingr

[Edited on 30/6/03 by kingr]

Peteff

posted on 30/6/03 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I don't like cars any more, I only like vans, and I pull a caravan with my Nissan Vanette. It'll only do 50 with or without the trailer. I do my best to let anyone go if they look like they are in a hurry. I hate Honda cars cos they are always driven by old farts in trilbys doing 37mph. That's why they never break down.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I think all the honda old folks round here must be more insane than the ones round your way, they always do 40 here.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The club with the ferraris and stuff was called summat like :

"The italian sportscar replica' club.

I wonder. How many people build a locost due to its simpicity of build - and how many would build a ferrari instead if it was as easy and only '250 quid'.

Id be a ferrari man, and there isnt anything wrong with my knob, and I dont like schumacher.

atb

steve

ned

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
the new porsche suv/4x4 why? it's horrible and looks wrong.

anyone travelling slower than I want to be going....

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
The club with the ferraris and stuff was called summat like :

"The italian sportscar replica' club.

The GT40 being a fine example of Italian Engineering.

I think it's hilarious how Ford decides to build a car to show how much further on they are now in the new millenium and how all American they are, and what do they choose, an old car, based on a British design, due to be built by, it would seem, everyone except Ford (I think 6 sub contracts was the last count), ah well, maybe they get the joke too, and the last laugh will be on them when they sell shed loads of them at £100,000 a pop to over rich grey heads.

Kingr

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I think all the honda old folks round here must be more insane than the ones round your way, they always do 40 here.

Kingr

It's Nissan Micras round East Anglia - the modern pensioner's substitute for the Metro.

The majority of Micras here are occupied by 'flat hats' and 'cauliflower heads'.

DJ

kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Citroen C3s seem an up and coming trend among the blue rinse brigade round here, either them or Corsa 1.1s. While we're on the subject of hideous small cars, the micra was never famed for it's good looks, but they seem to have borrowed Subaru's ugly stick during the design phase of the new one, and frankly, if any car of mine said "Hello Happy" to me when I started it up, it wouldn't last very long. I wonder whether you can hack it to say what you like, how about "I suck" or "Get a better car", you could have some real fun during the test drive with one, hehehe!

Kingr

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.