Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New tin top
Dale

posted on 22/7/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
New tin top

Just started a new job which is going to put me on the road a fair bit so it was time to look for a newer car. Promptly blew the motor in my current van after one week on the job so at age 41 I have my first new car.
Figured I would get something a bit out of the ordinary--I had to have a wagon of some kind anyway.
No roof rack or running boards on mine but otherwise the same. Its the type you either really like or cant stand.
Dale

[Edited on 22/7/06 by Dale] Rescued attachment hhr-sunburst-orange_33.jpg
Rescued attachment hhr-sunburst-orange_33.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

stevec

posted on 22/7/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
You could always moonlight as an undertaker.
nick205

posted on 22/7/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
what is it?
Humbug

posted on 22/7/06 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
what is it?

Chevrolet HHR... the only reason I know is that I'm on holiday in Florida and this is our rental car. Even from a European point of view it's not a bad car - a modern take on a fifties (?) wagon, but the looks are much more successful than say a PT Cruiser. Fairly spacious inside, though not a huge boot

Dale

posted on 23/7/06 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yes its the HHR. Basicly its a tall wagon but its clasified as a truck or sport utility. I needed something for service calls and that the occational large printer ect would fit in the back, along with my tools ect. ITs suposed to be styled after the 49 suburban. Price is pretty good- equivilant of under 11 british pounds new.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Wadders

posted on 23/7/06 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you meant to type £11,000 Dale, cos if they're only a tenner i'm booking a flight today. Seriously though, if that appeared on the UK market i'm sure it would be at least 20k.
Bloomin scandalous how we get ripped off for everything compared to the US. Nice motor BTW.
Al.

[Edited on 23/7/06 by Wadders]

Kissy

posted on 23/7/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Car prices are down to scale of economy and demand. I get ticked off with people in the UK rattling on about how RHDs are more than LHDs in Europe. If you're a manufacturer and make a RHD car you have to invest in tooling to make all the drive-specific components, such as cross-car beams & topper pads to name a few; you also then have to test to the market specifications (homologation), such as crash and pedestrian protection. Trouble is, after all that you have a market that is typically 19-20% of your total build, on which you have to recover your investments (19-20% includes Japan, Australia and S.Africa; I'm talking BMW Mini here). I'm pretty sure the Germans would be miffed at subbing the cost of our cars; especially as we're on an island and the logistics are naturally higher.

Sorry for the rant.

ruskino80

posted on 23/7/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
seems fair enough when you read that but 20%? we still pay over the odds even if you chuck on another 5% for shipping etc,that chevy is base astra money-astra plus 25% =nice mondeo
nowhere near the same class of vehicle .

Dale

posted on 23/7/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
With multiple cars being built on the same platform or chassis it really cuts down on the design build cost. The hhr is obviously designed so it could be either left or right hand drive (same platform as the cobolt and saturn ion /vue. Most controls instrumentation is center mounted. The 2.4 ecotec sure would make a nice donor engine though. Fly by wire as well.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

Simon

posted on 23/7/06 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dale,

Has it got a proper engine in it?

Are you being fobbed off by Chevy in the states with cars made in Korea, formerly known as Daewoo.

Since the former bought t'other Chevy are trying to make an impression on UK market. I'm finding it rather amusing, knowing what Chevrolet has produced in the past!!!

Enjoy the new Van with Windows I quite like it, but you really have got to do something about the bumpers!!

ATB

Simon

PS From that pic, looks like you're having an even worse drought than we are

[Edited on 23/7/06 by Simon]

ned

posted on 24/7/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
the new range (all aly)ecotecs ( as a world wide engine) are tall engines. i'm assuming the 2.4 is a stroked version of the 2.2 we get in the uk.
Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.