Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: eBay 'listening in' to emails ?
RazMan

posted on 5/7/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
eBay 'listening in' to emails ?

....... or am I just paranoid?

I have noticed that when I reply to eBay user emails there is a kind of delay when typing - the letters come up on the screen a fraction of a second behind the keystrokes. It is almost like they are being routed through a 'proof reader' before being allowed, possibly being monitored to prevent any outside deals.
Also eBay seems to be censoring each ad before submission, weeding out 'hints' of separate deals outside the auctions, exchanges, offers etc.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
theyve been listening in for ages now mate thats why they put that code up and all etc

try replying to the person direct

also ebay will slowly try and take over the internet sales world I said this quite a while back

any other company with there customer service would have been investigated by trading standard by now

everything is cheesy auto replies

so by the time you get your proper reply 5 days have gone by

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RazMan

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I can appreciate that they need to keep an eye on their internal stuff, but it just seems a bit 'big brother' to vet the emails between auction users that choose not to use the eBay messages system.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I can appreciate that they need to keep an eye on their internal stuff, but it just seems a bit 'big brother' to vet the emails between auction users that choose not to use the eBay messages system.

They watch to see if your making an outside deal through them. I had a couple of warnings from them because a buyer had contacted me about purchasing an item and i sold another one i had and left the original on. One of the sales was conducted via private email not through them and they still knew.

Its just so they dont lose out on 20p fee.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

zxrlocost

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
your quite right

afterall if google earth can show sat images of the top of my house for general internet users

imagine the quality of there video output
straight to base etc

afterall how the bleep can ebay stop me from selling items elsewhere

unless there trying to rule

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

martyn_16v

posted on 5/7/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You're just being paranoid about the character delay. If anyone wanted to vet an email being passed through their system they would intercept it in transit, it's so much easier and more transparent than intercepting every character as it is typed into a dialog.
RazMan

posted on 5/7/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
You're just being paranoid about the character delay. If anyone wanted to vet an email being passed through their system they would intercept it in transit, it's so much easier and more transparent than intercepting every character as it is typed into a dialog.

So what causes the delay then? I'm not particularly worried by it - just interested as to how eBay can seemingly control or influence certain things.

In the past I have had one or two sale auctions refused until I edit the text to their liking. Things like 'other items for sale' and please 'email me' have been targeted - they must have some sophisticated text reading software to pick these up. I notice that some people have been entering stuff like ' no swaps (nudge nudge)' or 'no other parts available (wink wink)' to try and get around it.

Cheers,
Raz

chockymonster

posted on 5/7/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
So what causes the delay then? I'm not particularly worried by it - just interested as to how eBay can seemingly control or influence certain things.

Poorly executed code.
I don't notice any delay when responding to messages.

JoelP

posted on 5/7/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
on a similar but different note, it seems phone companies can meddle with messages in your inbox, either edit or delete them. When you receive a text informing you of a missed call, any subsequent missed calls are edited onto the same message, so you dont end up with two messages. Not sure how they do it but that seems sneaky.
02GF74

posted on 5/7/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
just to add to your paranoia .... I am sure I read somewhere the the secutiry service/police/MFI/aliens are able to monitor and access or internet traffic and telephone conversation, the latter being record, must be a blood big tape machine
RazMan

posted on 5/7/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard about these 'facilities' that some governments use (although it might just be urban myth) - they are apparently a very sophisticated word recognition doo dahs which monitor thousands of lines and flag up any conversations with certain 'alert' words like 'bomb, terrorist, explosive' etc.

Ooooooohh, I've probably just triggered one of them .......... they're probably coming to get me now AS WE SPEAK!!

..... or maybe its just me being paranoid again

Cheers,
Raz

scottc

posted on 5/7/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
and its called echelon.

The US have a huge base in harrogate called Menwith hill were they monitor all electronic communication.

Menwith

Peteff

posted on 5/7/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Menwith Hill and Fylingdales are both surveillance stations monitoring your internet activity. Osama bin Laden.....Al Quaeda ..... plutonium .... North Korea.. That's just so they pick this one up

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 5/7/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
This isn't doing my paranoia any good you know

Cheers,
Raz

martyn_16v

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be fine as long as no one says 'dirty bomb'.

Oh shi...

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Talking of which, what the hell is this? Rescued attachment Secret.JPG
Rescued attachment Secret.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps Arthur C Clarkes obelisk was just drifting past the M4 the day the image was taken

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Stu16v

posted on 5/7/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Talking of which, what the hell is this?

It's a building with a big, black roof!

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.