Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UPVC Window Advice
Hellfire

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
UPVC Window Advice

Are there any UPVC window fitters out there that could give me some advice? Having had UPVC windows fitted about 12 years ago, the opening mechanism on a couple of the South facing windows, have gradually become more and more difficult to operate to the point where the handle broke off the other day. I need to replace the handle and lubricate the locking mechanisms (something I should have done ages ago, I know).

What type of handle do I need and where can I get them from? Are they a standard fitting which can be unscrewed and simply replaced with a new one or do they differ between window manufacturers. Any advice appreciated

Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
There are some companies around that will repair uPVC windows - worth a look in Yell.com, or the paper-based equivalent.

David

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know but I want to do it myself. It can't be too difficult.

richwill

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Try Toolstation or Screwfix they stock replacement parts.
Hellfire

posted on 3/7/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just removed the locking mechanism and its actually the whole espagnolette sliding bar (along with the handle) that needs replacing. I reckon I might be struggling now.

Phil

joneh

posted on 3/7/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used to do double glazing. Chances are your manufacturer went bust a long time ago and its a totaly different mechanism now. Your only hope is finding the original company and hoping the have an old mechanism around. Do you know what frame it is?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 3/7/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just about to fit a new window to the back of the garage and got a double glazed unit in B&Q sale they also sell handles like these - including bar Rescued attachment feb06 058.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 058.jpg

gingerprince

posted on 3/7/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about to do the same thing - basically the "square hole cam" thing has snapped.

A guy near me who used to do windows on the side has suggested a couple of places near me to try. I'll let you know if either of them are any use - they're Leeds way but they may be of some use.

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can get the handles without too much problem, it's the sliding espagnolette lock that I really need. Frames were manufactured and fitted by Coldseal but I think they went to the wall a few years ago.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.