Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plumbing problem getting worse
Northy

posted on 4/1/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Plumbing problem getting worse

Well my plumbing problem is getting worse. Here's a link to the old thread:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36452

Now if you turn the hot tap on in the kitchen and turn it off quickly the shower pump "pulses" on and off. It's even started doing it with the bathroom taps!

If you turn the tap off slowly it only does it once.

Is the pump on the way out?

Cheers,

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnemms

posted on 4/1/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
air lock in the system ...

mine was simple.. the kitchen tap washers needed replacing.. 2 nd time since we have lived here.. however.. the noise would come from the bathroom!!

in your case its the hot water mine was cold water job but must be similar effect..

Markp

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
dead leg on the hot water system some where???

Shouldn't the shower be fed from the cylinder via a essex or surrey flange to the pump so it doesn't use the main hot water supply. if the pump comes on with the hot water then I would asume it's piped up wrong

I have attatched a pic, bit rubbish but you should get the jist. Rescued attachment shower.jpg
Rescued attachment shower.jpg

dnmalc

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Markp's diagram should also identify that the feed to the hot tank should also be increased to 28mm as if it is left at 22mm you are likely to cause water hammer effects
Markp

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
sorry
Northy

posted on 5/1/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Er..... you've lost me guys

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 5/1/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
The shower circuit should have a dedicated supply, not because it's a shower, but because it is pumped. Water normally flows out of the hot tank by gravity - the head being the height of the cold tank in the loft. The pump effectively sucks water out of the hot tank and can draw air into the system. It should be fed from a dedicated supply pipe which usually extends someway down into the tank rather than just drawing off the top. The essex flange is as above, the surrey and warix flanges may be more difficult to spot as they are concentric with the normal feed at the top of the tank Flanges

The pump turns itself on when it senses a pressure drop ie letting water out of the shower so if it does it when you play with other taps does that indicate some untoward connection between non-shower pipes and the pump circuit?

PS - I'm not a plumber

Found an old bookmark for THIS

HERE'S another one.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by geoff shep]

[Edited on 5/1/06 by geoff shep]

Ferg

posted on 6/1/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
The pump turns itself on when it senses a pressure drop
No. It senses flow with a simple magnetic shuttle and reed switch. I definately sounds like the hot is teed into the whole house hot supply and you're getting a tremor from a tap setting up water hammer. Try a check valve on the inlet to the pump.

[Edited on 6/1/06 by Ferg]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.