Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spiders
dave1888

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Spiders

Am i getting smaller or are some Spiders getting BIGGER. One fell out of the fold in my window curtain tonight and it was huge. I cant remember the last time i shouted for my mummy but she heard me tonight and she lives 20 miles away. huge thing it was
zilspeed

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is it because you is a big fearty ?
dave1888

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
judging by their size i was a small fearty
Gav

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its really odd, were getting HUGE spiders as well, like 3inch diameter and really big bodies
donut

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you don't wet the bed tonight and get your mummy to read you a bed time story, one without spiders in!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I took a picture of this one living on our window. It was there for about 6 weeks and grew to 2" long. I missed it when it went, it was like a friend who ate flies. Rescued attachment bigspider2.jpg
Rescued attachment bigspider2.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rick q

posted on 18/10/05 at 03:20 AM Reply With Quote
We get lots of Huntsman spiders here - up to the size of a bread and butter plate - but harmless
James

posted on 18/10/05 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Is it the hunsman that spin round in a circle like mentalists when you prod them? They're my favourite ones!
Find a corner in the garage with loads and (like plates) see how many I can get spinning at once!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 18/10/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have a large spider who lives in the window frame of the workshop. He's been there for a couple of months and takes care of the other bugs quite nicely.

That said I don't go near the window any more

DaveFJ

posted on 18/10/05 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I had a small one living quite happily inside my wing mirror for a while. soon as you started the engine it would scuttle off and hide inside the mirror....

I was in the Belizean jungle, sitting around a camp fire with the lads, (as you do) when a camel spider walked over a lads foot. It even seemed to stop and look at him as if to say "yeah? what you gonna do about it ?"
For those who don't know camel spiders are seriously scary

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

flak monkey

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Camel spiders are huge...heres a pic

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ian Pearson

posted on 18/10/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Got chased by a camel spider in the Empty Quarter once. Kicked sand at it several times, but it kept on coming. Legged it and jumped into the nearest pick up. Nasty things>
MikeRJ

posted on 18/10/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I fookin 'ate spiders. I know it's irrational and I'm a big girls blouse, but they make me feel ill. Was sitting on the crapper last week and a bloody massive spider fell off the ceiling and landed about an inch from my foot. Talk about instant constipation cure...

I do like snakes though, quite happy to hold them (but not too keen on deadly venomous ones!).

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/05 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently that 'Camel Spider' picture is a con - but those little beasties can still reach 6"/150mm long!

It seems that they can run really fast, usually sprinting between shade, which makes people think they're after them - all they want is your shade!

They're not poisonous, either - but they can give one hell of a bite... oh - and they're not spiders, either, but just something that only looks like one.

Ain't Google wonderful?

David

[Edited on 18/10/05 by David Jenkins]

ned

posted on 18/10/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
in the car with the girlfriend driving the other night and she starts shouting and slams on the anchors and jumps out of the car, luckily we weren't quite on the sliproad to the dual carriageway. i couldn't see what she was going on about, then i spotted a spider only about an inch in diameter on her steering wheel. flicked the little fella out onto the floor but she wanted him dead

she held the steering wheel with her finger tips the rest of the way home!

she wanted to know how it'd got into the car, i didn't have the heart to tell her it was probably off her clothes as she'd parked right up to a hedge!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 18/10/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
if you were worried about the curtain, just as well you idnt have a clock - this came up on a huntsman search.

In northamptonshire about this time of year we get spiders about 70mm wide that look a lot like the huntsman....so far i havnt seen one this year.

atb

steve Rescued attachment spider.jpg
Rescued attachment spider.jpg

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

nick205

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
enough is enough guys at this rate I'll have to sellotape the duvet down tonight.
steve_gus

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
this is the big feckers you get in the autumn

nice to know they are even called house spiders!

was it one of these in your curtains?

http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

[Edited on 18/10/05 by steve_gus]

Just knock off the 's'!

steve_gus

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
"It is important at what time in the process of copulation you get eaten," said Ms Bilde.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/05/nspider05.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/05/ixhome.html

Just knock off the 's'!

James

posted on 19/10/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
this is the big feckers you get in the autumn

nice to know they are even called house spiders!

was it one of these in your curtains?

http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

[Edited on 18/10/05 by steve_gus]

Good link Steve- thanks!

http://www.uksafari.com/cross.htm

Compare that baby spider nest picture above with what was on my chassis one morning!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Dscn2122_small.jpg

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 19/10/05 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Is it the hunsman that spin round in a circle like mentalists when you prod them? They're my favourite ones!

Cheers,
James

Turns out the cool spinning ones are called Daddy Long Legs Spiders!

http://www.uksafari.com/daddylonglegs.htm

Cheers,
James

Ian Pearson

posted on 19/10/05 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Apparently that 'Camel Spider' picture is a con - but those little beasties can still reach 6"/150mm long!

It seems that they can run really fast, usually sprinting between shade, which makes people think they're after them - all they want is your shade!

They're not poisonous, either - but they can give one hell of a bite... oh - and they're not spiders, either, but just something that only looks like one.

Ain't Google wonderful?

David

[Edited on 18/10/05 by David Jenkins]

Camel Spiders grow a fair bit bigger than 6". I found a "baby" one that had drowned in the shower that was 5" across. They are aggressive hunters, and the one that chased me was not looking for shade! I met a Bedouin who had a chunk bitten out of his face. We asked one of our truck drivers what had happened to him, and the reply was that he'd had a Camel spider munch on him.

scotty g

posted on 19/10/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of facts about spiders, every spider on the planet is venomous, even the little dinky ones we get here in blighty! The common UK house as pictured erlier (the ones you always find in the bath tub in the morning) is one of the fastest running spiders on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When your cat eats a spider, why must it always leave a leg sticking out the side of its mouth?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.