Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bulding a bike
Chris_R

posted on 31/3/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bulding a bike

I quite like the idea of owning a motorbike. I don't have a bike license, but did do a little off-road riding when I was younger. I can't afford direct access so am restricted to a 125 as a learner. I was thinking that it shouldn't be too hard to build a bike and upgrade the engine in due time, ie after two years when restrictions are lifted. What does everyone think?

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Buy one Rescued attachment y627scoot.jpg
Rescued attachment y627scoot.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think you can buy perfectly servicable bikes off ebay etc. for very reasonable sums of money.

I can't imagine you wouls save much money and you would get a whole load of hassle trying to make different engines fit etc.

So get a CG125 for starters for a couple of hundred quid and when you can legally ride a bigger bike, sell the cg to a learner for what you paid for it and buy a bigger one for not a lot more

Danozeman

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Theres planty of 125s about for sod all. I agree cg125's are a good starter. I wouldnt faf about building one. Iv got a puch maxi 50 sitting in a shed at me mums you can have.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mookaloid

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Here's one,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9806&item=4538678939&rd=1

bigbriglasgow

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

how about this 1, its a friend of mine is selling it and i can tell you after seeing it in the flesh its quite nice. Honest guy with my own personal recomendation lives about a mile from me here in cumbernauld.
if yr really looking for a learner legal bike this is a harly style chopper thingy and looks great!!

Worth a look anyway

Cheers

Brian

coz its a bit of an animal

Chris_R

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
It's more a question of what I can afford, which isn't much. I could save and buy one complete, or build a chunky 125 over a period of time splashing out when I could afford it.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigbriglasgow

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9806&item=4539914837&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OOPS!!

coz its a bit of an animal

Simon

posted on 31/3/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with CG125.

We used to have one for a trainees bike when I was instructing.

Very reliable, economical and very cheap to run.

Plus, you're almost guaranteed a resale.

Shouldn't even consider building a bike. Whilst it may appear quite simple, have you seen the amount of ironwork around the headstock. Youl'll need to get rake, trail etc sorted, which will probably need to change if a heavier engine goes in.

Too much aggro. Build a car instead

ATB

Simon

200mph

posted on 1/4/05 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone is interested, I have a 1992 Aprilia AF1 futura 125 for sale. Nice sporty bike to learn on, and reasonably cheap. £600

Mark

ned

posted on 1/4/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
if it wasn't in scotland i'd be very tempted by that

beware, I've got yellow skin

Peteff

posted on 1/4/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Get something a decent size and stick a sidecar on it. If you weren't so far away I'd take the Puch Maxi off your hands Dano. I used to have one for work years ago.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 1/4/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine built a bike. not as easy as you might think iirc. It cost himneck end of 12K as well although it was rather rapid. Probably no match for modern machinery now though.

Why not learn on cheap 125 and re-build something bigger for later? Re-building has got to be easier than building from scratch.

I hate bikes. Cant get away with them. IMHO better to build a car and live longer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.