Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fridge Repair
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fridge Repair

I have a Samsung Fridge which started making horrific noises earlier today. I turned it off immediately and suspecting the circulation fan of icing up I removed the interior panel and found a block of ice the size of a house brick around the refridgerant (sp?) feed line to the cooling element. The ice block had indeed started to encroach on the air circulation fan causing the noise.

Long story short, i carefully cleared the ice with a hairdryer and everything seems ok now.

Any thoughts on why this has happened? Refridgerant (sp?) leak maybe. Its a frost free model and there is not a bit of frost anywhere else.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeR

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
our Samsung went a bit silly last week. kept beeping and struggled to realise it was maintaining temperature. seems they're not the most reliable things which is disappointing as they're normally a good brand. have you Googled as lots of people have posted their experiences.
red22

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
this is a common problem. had the same problem on mine. i was going to repair it myself til i found out it was still under warrenty. The rememdy is a replacemant fan assembly that has a improved heater in it that stops the ice forming round the fan. off the top of my head they were around £120 for the replacement parts and its an easy fix,plenty of youtube videos cover the process or just keep your eye on it and keep it free of ice. worst case sinareo(?) the fidge stops working and then you'll deffinitely need the parts,
RoadkillUK

posted on 26/7/12 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
If it's the same fridge that I bought cheap on eBay, then it's the 'heating' element that stops the freezing.
Also if it has a water dispenser with the water storage behind the bottom drawer near the elements, then that may split if it's frozen up, I used a soldering iron and carrier bags to 'weld' mine.

OK, just noticed then followed the link you provided and it's similar.

Samsung RS21 American Style Fridge Evaporator Heater | eBay

Samsung RS21 SRS2026 SRS2028 SRS2029 fridge freezer Defrost sensor | eBay

And finally ... Instructions

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 26/7/12 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Dont know the Samsung but in this weather the first port of call would be to clean the condensor (especially if you have a cat) which cools and condenses the gas to liquid . This is the radiator type thing down the back of the fridge by the compressor which is fan assisted.
It gets clogged with dust and/or cat hairs the gas doesnt cool enough and condense properly which has a similar effect to short of gas so the first few turns on the evaporator freeze and the defrost heater wont clear it as it expects a uniform frost covering, this just builds up and up.
The airflow also cools the compressor so if the airflow is impeded your compressor overheats as its getting no cooling and its also running longer because of the condensing problem and then whammo burns out the compressor (el biggo bill).
Good to remove the mat of crap in front of the condensor then blow it out with an airline, good to cover the rear of the condensor with an old blanket as the dust flies everywhere.
Cheers,
bob

[Edited on 26/7/12 by splitrivet]

[Edited on 26/7/12 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.