Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GPS speed limiters..???
thekafer

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
GPS speed limiters..???

Tell me things I'm reading on some web sites about GPS devices used to govern a cars speed are not true!!(And for those who would answer with a whiny "but it's a good idea.." speech, spare me, because it is'nt.) Are they really talking about mandating this on cars in the U.K.?

Please speak comforts, Fletch

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Deckman001

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's true !! but thankfully tho it is only a trial with one manufactrer, Skoda i think but am not sure. The government say it will be an option not a law, i read in a paper !!!!!

Jason

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
It's true !! but thankfully tho it is only a trial with one manufactrer, Skoda i think but am not sure. The government say it will be an option not a law, i read in a paper !!!!!

Jason

who needs a gps in a skoda....they all got sold to old grannys and sunday drivers. They do a grand job of playing at rolling roadblocks. Get a white van!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPAFKAMH

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I drive one.

Damn non-turbo thing.

The Gutless Wonder I call it...

thekafer

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just a trial run.....Right....
"I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help"....kinda thing,I get it.

Imagine the havoc this would play on the entire auto industry. No more performance anything, no more 5 series,no after market anything (except jamming devices)no more sports cars of any kind. What would be the point of owning one?

Rant over Fletch,

theconrodkid

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
we have that with speed scameras now,i recon there are 3 for every person in the country

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeP

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thekafer
Just a trial run.....Right....
"I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help"....kinda thing,I get it.

Imagine the havoc this would play on the entire auto industry. No more performance anything, no more 5 series,no after market anything (except jamming devices)no more sports cars of any kind. What would be the point of owning one?

Rant over Fletch,

Hehehe, true about the government. Personally I've got no issues with doing this or speed traps or cameras in residential areas - speed where my kids are and no punishment is severe enough... I hate the thought on the highway though.

This might not hurt the auto industry - maybe nimbler cars with quicker acceleration but lower top ends would be more popular? 'Cause there's a speed limit but nothing on rate of acceleration or even cornering speed (yet). It'd make our little cars and classics more valuable, what with no big brother parts installed as standard, and might promote a bigger, more accessable motor sports community .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 8/7/04 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
You have got to be joking.......

If speed was restricted the huge revenue generated from cameras would cease. No way will the government allow that to happen.
And anyway it would be a logical and cost effective way of reducing accidents, saving lives, lowering insurance costs, taking some strain off the NHS, so I say again, no way will the government do it!!!
Far too simple for them.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

DaveFJ

posted on 8/7/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote

Hehehe, true about the government. Personally I've got no issues with doing this or speed traps or cameras in residential areas - speed where my kids are and no punishment is severe enough... I hate the thought on the highway though.

This might not hurt the auto industry - maybe nimbler cars with quicker acceleration but lower top ends would be more popular? 'Cause there's a speed limit but nothing on rate of acceleration or even cornering speed (yet). It'd make our little cars and classics more valuable, what with no big brother parts installed as standard, and might promote a bigger, more accessable motor sports community .

You're from Canada right.... nuff said

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

ned

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
ITS ALL A BOLLOX IDEA

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
You're from Canada right.... nuff said

Uh, yeah. Oh no, now what's wrong with us?

timf

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
HMG please fit this box to your car

ME bleep right off

andyps

posted on 8/7/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
More likely we will get "big brother" devices which will monitor our every move and report that back with gps data so fines can be automatically sent out on the basis of "at 3.42pm on July 8th your car was travelling at 36mph in a Northbound direction on road B6264 which has a 30mph speed limit, that will be £60 and three points please". The government have already given big hints about this being introduced.

A bit of tinfoil over the aerial should sort that one out!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

DaveFJ

posted on 8/7/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

spunky

posted on 8/7/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
They already have speed monitering cameras in Nottingham that work out your speed between the cameras and average it out. Average more than speed limit and the fine is in the post.

Was talk about a country wide network of these, and I noticed the same type of posts they use in nottingham are now along the A46 at Notts end and at Newark end. Thats a 15 mile stretch between on a straight, fast A road.

John

drmike54

posted on 8/7/04 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
GPS

Hey if they can regulate the car speed with GPS. Then we can design a device to send a short range fake GPS signal that would allow us to turn the knob and the speed up.
JoelP

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
i think that cars should have a black box equivalent, to record speed, cornering forces, braking and accelerating. This would be useful to catch people out who mess up and crash, without penalising other more competent drivers. might encourage more responsible driving if a record is being kept of what you are driving like...

Noodle

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i think that cars should have a black box equivalent, to record speed, cornering forces, braking and accelerating. This would be useful to catch people out who mess up and crash, without penalising other more competent drivers. might encourage more responsible driving if a record is being kept of what you are driving like...

I rambled on in a thread many moons ago about just such a system that's coming into force around 2010.

That thread's here ... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=7523

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

spunky

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The diagnostic system in Triumph bikes logs what the motor is doing when the fault occurs. RPM, which gear and what speed...
Always worried me that.

John

JoelP

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
ah, i remember that old china teapot... an excellent thread

thekafer

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
AAHHHRRRGGG!!!

It's always cloked in veil of "good intentions". When I have a chip placed in my forehead so that if I ever get Kidnapped they can drive straight to the seen of the "body dump" I'll become an anarchist. Having anyone know my every move is not freedom (even if I never do anything bad) it's oppression! Houston removed all of their stop light cameras not because accidents went up 37% but because people sued the city costing them more than they were making from them. "but it will save lives..." yeah, so would making everyone walk to work with a dog leash on!!!

Bomb the whales with S.U.V.'s!!

evil conservitave rant mode off...

Thanks, I feel better now, Fletch

andyps

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Many new cars apparently already have a black box type device. I think the new Aston Martin DB9 is one of them, along with many American cars.

There was an article about it in Autocar magazine recently - the Focus RS they have had on long term loan from Ford has had a data logger fitted which reports back to Ford every few seconds or something!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.