Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I hate 4x4s!!
C10CoryM

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
If you guys think those little trucks are bad try having some knob driving a raised 7400lb F350 4x4 diesel around. They go pretty good for a large truck (14.0et in the 1/4 with a tune) and people drive them like maniacs because of that. Doesn't mean they can stop/steer though.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
From whay t I remember of Canada, you have prety wide straight roads. Some of out country lanes are less than 2.0 metres from hedge to hedge.
mcerd1

posted on 16/10/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
David, you know she will need the 4 wheel drive when we get the next 1/4" of snow

LOL

I like it when it snows and lots of those people get there shinny 4x4's stuck - some are very red faced when I've cused past them in my old pug 106!

I currently live down a very narrow single track road, with a very deep ditch on one side and quite a wide grass bank on the other - plenty of times I've met a big shinny 4x4 that was driving up the midle of the road at 60+ mph - and then, having narrowly avoided hitting me, won't put a wheel on the grass to get past - and I can't do the same as my car would disapear into a 5' deep ditch this has ended up with me driving down the verge on the right-hand side of the road in my 106 to pass them

David Jenkins

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly got knocked off the road by one in my village last winter - he/she had swerved across the road to avoid a 4" deep puddle!

David

BTW: I have no problem with 4x4 owners who need them and know how to drive them. It's the "Mum & kids" and/or "I've got a great big status symbol" brigades that scare me.

stevebubs

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Enough of this poo about who should drive what. I'm with 907, let's start a section about pies!

If you're in Reading and want a decent pie, go to Sweeney & Todd's on Castle St near the police station.

Home made pies and decent beer....heaven....

ayoungman

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I don't remember this country being over thrown and turned into a dictatorship !

I'll damn well drive what I like. It is still a free country isn't it ?

Yes, I do drive a Landrover (25 year old)
Yes, I do need it
Yes, I do drive slowly
Yes, I do pay extra road tax
Yes, I do drive up to London....just to wee off Ken Livinston.

I would have thought that Locost builders might be a little more tolerant. Or should we all drive around in disposible tin boxes ?

Rant over.

[Edited on 17/10/06 by ayoungman]

"just like that !"

mcerd1

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think my rant was more about the drivers than the cars

some of the people round me could be lethal in a smart or even on a bycicle !

[Edited on 17/10/06 by mcerd1]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 17/10/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
They can be quite good fun you know, I was stuck in traffic with my two workmates on a dual carriageway with a wide grass verge between us and the other side which was also stopped due to heavy traffic, The 4x4 owner in front of us was having non of this waiting around so decided to cross over and return from where he'd come, when he got stuck before reaching the other side he provided amusement for us all for quite some time while he tried all sorts to get out of that one.
I dont know how he went on as when we were long gone he was still spinning his wheels trying to get out
If anyone from bolton reads this it was between the roundabouts at chequerbent and the M61.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Standard old-fashioned landies tend not to be a problem - I suspect it's because they're rarely driven by Mums and yuppies... not up-market enough!

DJ

mcerd1

posted on 17/10/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like landrovers (I live on a farm at the moment, and used to work on them in holidays when I was at shcool/ uni)

I'd have a defender 90, with a 200 tdi (early 1990's), in blue or black
It would have to be good mechanicaly and structuraly - but (here is the important bit) it has to have a good collection of 'wounds' & 'scars' (dents & scrapes) and always be slightly (or very) dirty

we had one a bit like this (wrong engine and chassis was starting to rot) and its amazing how quick the yuppie types (in the polished machines) get back onto there side of the road when they saw it coming - there was something about it that said: 'I've hit bigger things than you before'
(in reality it had come from a big estate in the highlands and most of the woulds/ scars were cow, sheep and fence post inflicted)

C10CoryM

posted on 17/10/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
From whay t I remember of Canada, you have prety wide straight roads. Some of out country lanes are less than 2.0 metres from hedge to hedge.

Yes but wide roads don't help when a 7400lbs truck being driven by some dolt on a cellphone at 80mph is supposed to stop behind you . Naw, there is nothing wrong with larger vehicles at all. I have a beater 81 k2500 (here) and a 70 C10 (my baby) . The 81 is pretty big, but its small compared to some of the new trucks here. Large trucks make people feel invincible so they drive stupid.

I don't drive like a dink though just because I'm in a large vehicle. I drive like a dink because I am good at it (kidding, kidding)

Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.