Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police clock driver at 150mph
Simon

posted on 7/5/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've said it before, so I'll say it again.

It's not the speed, it's hitting things that's the problem.

I would like to see a 20mph ZONE on my estate. I'd also like to see certain stretches of motorway deristricted.

I can take a pushbike/horse and cart/dog for a walk etc on a dual carriageway (which have roundabouts/T-junctions etc etc), yet I can go exactly the same speed on a motorway where you'll get nicked for taking a dump beside the road, no matter how desperate!

I once needed to do 110 miles in a hour. I did it with ten minutes to spare And no, I'm not saying where or when!!

ATB

Simon

Peteff

posted on 7/5/04 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
A few years back

I went straight through a red light on my bike. There was nothing else coming but the light was a suspended one and I hadn't seen one before. I just didn't look up. I don't think at 150mph your reaction time is quick enough to react to a changing situation. O.k. if there's only you on the road but if you have an accident it's going to take someone else out as well. Unfair on others. I'd like to see everyone stick to the limit for a week and see how the police handle the loss of revenue from cameras. Get them off their arses and out to work again.

[Edited on 7/5/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mackie

posted on 8/5/04 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I like to think I practice safe fast road driving, although I would like to go on a proper fast road course (expensive though!)
Main thing is just not to leave anything to chance and drive only at a speed at which you can stop in the distance you can see and that is appropriate to the conditions.
I'm off out in a bit for a blast down the B660 and I expect I won't need to speed to have fun

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/04 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
This wasn't the guy caught doing 150 on the the A9 (a lethal busy main route) while using a hand held mobile phone ?

Nutter of the first order

JoelP

posted on 8/5/04 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I would like to see a 20mph ZONE on my estate.

yep, id like that outside my house. when i have kids it would make me feel much better, though obviously a large gargen gate is a good start. all schools should definately be 20 zones, especially at 3.30 ish.

greggors84

posted on 9/5/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I go to spain every summer to windsurf, and after going there for 18 years we have met alot of french and spanish friends. The french bloke who taught me to windsurf all those years ago, drives down to spain so he normally drives when we go to a different windsurfing location or the local surf shop. I was shocked the first time i went in the car with him, he was a crazy driver by our standards and for a middle aged espace driving family man. I asked him about they way he drives mainly because he was quite open about his mad over taking manouvers and he said in france most people drive like that and u have to get anywhere. He has been over to the UK numerous times and reckoned that our driving standards are much higher, he thinks speed cameras have something to do with it, and because of this they are becoming more popular in france, he blames this on us!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/5/04 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
the nuttyest driver I have been in a car with in the last few years is a relation by marriage.

He is a squadron leader in the RAF who teaches flying of C130 herculese!

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 9/5/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I once got a lift with a Mothers Pride bread van driver. He was radio rental, never again. He was sliding a 3.5 ton Leyland luton sideways like a rally driver but on dry roads.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/5/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I once got a lift with a Mothers Pride bread van driver. He was radio rental, never again. He was sliding a 3.5 ton Leyland luton sideways like a rally driver but on dry roads.

stupid. should have used his loaf.

Perhaps he was paid by the delivery, and needed the dough?

I woulda thought it was easy to roll a bread van.

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 9/5/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I woulda thought it was easy to roll a bread van

Bread, roll, it just gets better Steve , or is it butter.

yours, Pete

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Driving at 150 mph on a public road,motorway or whatever you call it, when there is a chance,even the slightest,of hurting other people is a crime!
To those who are so full of German "autobhan freiheit" remember that when you cause an accident at speeds above the recommended speed,you loose ALL rights instantly(no insurence!) and if you still live,YOU are gonna be the bummer who has to pay, if there is such thing as "paying for a human live".
NOBODY can predict what somebody else is going to do so passing another driver at 150 mph is playing with the live of the driver you are passing.
All the speed freaks should take a simple test.Get yourself in a "ready for the scrapyard car" and drive this car at 20 mph into a concrete wall,a ridicilous speed in a car?
You might be surprised to see the amount of SH#t your body contains if you have the guts to keep your feet on the accelerator and off the brake.
There are lots of chances to go to circuits and drive as fast as you dare.
There's a big difference between fun and adrenaline.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
In the UK you are still insured, regardless of any traffic laws you break that lead to an accident.

anything else would be stupid!

we also have unlimited liability - so you could drink drive, crash a petrol tanker into a public building, and kill 100 people and trash a 20m pound building. Your insurance would have to pay every penny.

In the USA they dont have unlimited insurance - some states have ins as low as 50k min cover. When you hire a car, you can extend the value to 1m dollars if you pay an extra fee. Just about cover you hitting a ferrari.

atb

steve

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by "everything else would be stupid"?
Embrace your UK insurence with both arms Stephen as long as it lasts!
Sure in our country the insurence pays the victim but they have legal rights to recover the money from the one who caused the accident under certain circumstances.Driving under influence or unacceptable speed like 150 mph are legal grounds to recover the money.
And so it should be!
Dont get me wrong here,i dont claim that i'm driving by the road code all the time or keep the speed limit as the bibles word but it's not a black and white world.
Insurence is there to cover accidents within the traffic code and it's no different than in daily live.
Those who take to much advantage of the weak points in a system usually make everybody else pay for it and cause the system to be narrowed and worse to live with.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/5/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
im reasonably sure that insurance companies could sue for the money back, but I have never heard of such a situation.

Even if there was, there is a get out.

If a huge claim is made against you, you declare bankrupcy. You will lose your posessions, but assuming my 1m claim example, they wouldnt get the money back in full from mr average.

In the UK, even if you have NO INSURANCE the UK insurance industry must pay in part the damages caused to a 3rd party, even tho you were not insured at all.

The law is basically trying to protect others. So in the uk, being totally un-insured cos you were speeding, wouldnt happen, as it would affect the rights of the person you had the accident against.

Thats why anything else wouldnt make sense....

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 12/5/04 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
some change to the bankrupcy law recently, or maybe a proposed change, reducing the time to 12 months before you can unregister as bankrupt. thats the gist of it anyway. makes it too easy a way out in my books.

mackie

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Stephen, you seem quite knowledgable about this insurance lark.
Blueshift got hit by a driver being persued by the police and caused minor damage to the rear bumper and a light cluster.
They didn't catch him so there's noone to sue, is there anything he can do?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Im by no means an expert - its just what I have heard (and unhappily thro accidents!) learnt.

The association of british insurers (i think) run an uninsured losses scheme, where an uninsured driver causing harm to others has to be paid for by the insurers. I think it must be part of the deal that basically allows the law to make em a fortune cos insurance is compulsory. What a way to get business - you MUST by law have a product.....

However, as you dont have a driver at all, I dunno how that works out.

thats the beauty of comprehensive insurance - you can get it repaired one way or tother!

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by mackie
Stephen, you seem quite knowledgable about this insurance lark.
Blueshift got hit by a driver being persued by the police and caused minor damage to the rear bumper and a light cluster.
They didn't catch him so there's noone to sue, is there anything he can do?

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,i dont think it matters for the victim who's gonna pay him/her,and the victim certainly wont bother if the insurence company will try to recover the money from the irisponsible driver.
No matter how you look at it,in the end the insurence company is there in the first place to make money so that 1 m has to be recovered by the company,one way or another.
It maby would be interesting to find out how much Lloyds would charge for a car insurence with a driver who's doing 150 mph on public roads or driving under influence.
For the rest....i'm not to keen on insurence company's except.... when i need them

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/5/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
This wasn't the guy caught doing 150 on the the A9 (a lethal busy main route) while using a hand held mobile phone ?

Nutter of the first order

No this was the A92 that runs behind Kirkcaldy in Fife. The road you are thinking about runs from North from Perth. Its a dangerous road in the summer with all the visitors from the continent who look the wrong way!!!!!!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
how would you like foreigners to look

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 12/5/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
In the UK you are still insured

If you are deemed to be speed testing or racing another vehicle your insurance will be invalid. It happened to 2 lads who worked for a friend. They were on a dual carriageway coming back from a job in 2 vans and were charged with these offences and fined heavily for the insurance breach.

yours, Pete

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
agreed

thats specifically mentioned on all policies I have ever had........

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
If you are deemed to be speed testing or racing another vehicle your insurance will be invalid. It happened to 2 lads who worked for a friend. They were on a dual carriageway coming back from a job in 2 vans and were charged with these offences and fined heavily for the insurance breach.

tony9876

posted on 13/5/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you are hit by an uninsured driver you can claim for all of any injuries and any damage over £400 from the motor insurance bureau so the tip would be to get whiplash to cover the access damage. This fund was set up by all the underwriters and is another excuse as to why are premiums are so high.
Basically the only winners are the scumbags who drive pissed and uninsured.

JoelP

posted on 13/5/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
car insurance companies run at a loss apparently, proped up by other insurance lines. that was on telly recently, apparently a 20% annual loss. in other words, they pay out 120% of what they take as premiums.

Peteff

posted on 13/5/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
car insurance companies run at a loss apparently

Yeah,right. No business in its right mind subsidises a loss for more than 3 or 4 years. It would be financial suicide. They would drop the motoring section like a hot coal if on a loser. Don't believe everything you read. 98% of all facts are made up to substantiate an argument, including this one.

yours, Pete

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.