Board logo

Frog and Toad
Mansfield - 16/8/08 at 09:31 PM

At least that is what assume they are. The one on the right is an ugly bugger. Not seen one of those before.

Frog and Toad
Frog and Toad

mookaloid - 16/8/08 at 09:34 PM

I would tend to agree. The frog seems to have some duckweed stuck to it

DarrenW - 16/8/08 at 09:48 PM

Both are gods own critters and therefore gorgeous. Nice pic. Assume its your garden and they are enjoying the ambience after you have had BBQ and are now enjoying some chimnea woodsmoke and real ale?

BenB - 16/8/08 at 10:12 PM

Correctly identified. Our garden is full of toads but not frogs.

Interestingly toads secrete an enzyme from the blisters on their back that is quite effective at breaking down tissues (ie its designed as a crude form of biological warfare).
Hence rubbing a toad against a wart (old remedy) actually works and if you have loads of mucus in your throat dangling a toad into it (hence frog in the throat) works. Unfortunately if you use a frog not a toad it doesn't as they have smooth skin and other than the poison-dart frog tend not to produce nasty chemicals...

Mansfield - 16/8/08 at 10:41 PM

I have heard of toad licking but never rubbing, SWMBO wanted to kiss the frog but I told her that her prince is already here. She chased them until they got close together and I got the picture just as the frog turned to see the toad. I tried to feed the toad a snail but it did not look very impressed.

No BBQ in this weather, chicken jalfrezi and veg rice from the takeaway and a load of Strongbow instead.

We get a load of frogs from next door's pond and they all have the bright green leaves on them, I thought I had discovered a new variant of frog until put my glasses on.

NigeEss - 16/8/08 at 11:15 PM

Here's some food for your amphibians that I found in the garden today.....
Mutant mega slug

mediabloke - 17/8/08 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield
At least that is what assume they are. The one on the right is an ugly bugger. Not seen one of those before.

Frog and Toad
Frog and Toad

That's the ones on the left and right sorted out, but what about the camouflaged black one at the back? An interesting brake-pedal-rubber habitat you have there...