Board logo

Ouch!
Northy - 14/12/03 at 09:08 PM

If you've ever thought about drilling a hole through your thumb nail but never tried it, then I suggest you don't it bloody hurts!

A trip to casualty and being told you can't go back into the garage that night and have to keep it clean and wrapped up for a week, will slow down your build

PS it was an 8mm drill bit

[Edited because I'm shite at typing with that bloody thing on my thumb!]

[Edited on 14/12/03 by Northy] Rescued attachment Hole in thumb.jpg
Rescued attachment Hole in thumb.jpg

Staple balls - 14/12/03 at 09:11 PM

unlucky.

next time, wear gloves and watch where you're drilling

CairB - 14/12/03 at 09:19 PM

Northy,

I can well imagine that having to keep your garage clean and wrapped up for a week, will slow down your build

I reckon that there is a certain ammount of pain that has to be endured when building. My neck suffered big style whilst refiting the sump.

Hope your injury doesn't affect your ability for yuletide slurping, and that your build gets back on track.

Cheers,

Colin

Ben_Copeland - 14/12/03 at 09:19 PM

OUCH OUCH OUCH !!! i done painfull things like that before. Never drilled a hole in my nail before though .. Try that next week

Alan B - 14/12/03 at 10:16 PM

You really should have used a smaller drill first as a pilot....

Stiil, looking on the bright side, you probably won't do it again....

Hugh Paterson - 14/12/03 at 10:45 PM

Almost as good as trying to cut your leg off with a 4 1/2 inch grinder when it bounced off the steel u were cutting and had a go at your leg instead, shame
about the 501's Maybe we should start a fad Thats not a scar har har
Shug.

steve m - 15/12/03 at 02:24 AM

Was It Marcus who made a very close call of trying to cut his willy off with a grinder?

I bet that between us we could start a weekly series of garage accidents

I have had a few

age 13-14 "arc eye" cos I could not see a bloody thing thru that silly green lense

age 15 get pinned to the garage floor, with granada gear box, that really was to heavy for me to put in on my own
had to wait for help to arrive

age 17, to lazy to take the workpiece to the vice, so the vice went to the workpiece, but while in transit is dropped on to toes, doctor in big building with pretty nurses, wants to remove said toes as the are f*****D

age 20, sets fire to renault 5 during welding, in parents garage, that is attached to 4 bedroom expensive property while fathers car is on axle stands next to said french car, and friend who is fire watch has pissed off and is chatting my sister up

and in later years
had car battery explode in face, back down hospital for an eye wash and facial burns

the list goes on and on, but in my defence they were not all my fault

David Jenkins - 15/12/03 at 09:27 AM

FWIW: The pillar drill is regarded by HSE as the machine most likely to cause an accident. Not because it's the most dangerous thing in a workshop, rather it's because people don't think it's dangerous!

Flying swarf, unclamped metal spinning around and broken drill bits are the usual suspects...

David

James - 15/12/03 at 12:26 PM

8mm drill bit? <Shudder>

My £10 worth of goggles, welding gauntlets and ear defenders was well spent then!

A guy my Dad knows took the end off a finger 'stopping' a piece of swarf!
I always do my best to clamp a work piece- if I can't then atleast I have the welding gauntlets on.
A while ago on one of the big drill presses at college the vice etc. span round and drapped my hand between it and the pillar itself!
No injury though fortunately!

James

Ben_Copeland - 15/12/03 at 12:37 PM

ouch.. i was right crushed my finger with a hammer this morning lol

Mark H - 15/12/03 at 01:08 PM

quote:

doctor in big building with pretty nurses, wants to remove said toes as the are f*****D

So, did he then?

steve m - 20/12/03 at 11:56 PM

No he did not, they just pointed in different directions, for a few months untill I had them fixed
this meant breaking them again and resetting and two weeks without being able to walk