Board logo

Heavenly Bodies
907 - 6/4/08 at 06:52 PM

Well, it all started with a lecture given by Prof Colin Pillinger at the local Astronomical Society.
Now I am the owner of a "Locost" telescope, but I'm not sure where to point it.

Anyone know of any good websites that would give me an idea of planet positions, star constellations, etc?
A sort of Locostbuilders of the night skies.

I just know you won't let me down.

Many thanks

Paul G

JoelP - 6/4/08 at 07:01 PM

start with the moon, its the easiest to find! What telescope did you get? We used to have a 4" reflector. Planets are best to start with, looking at real small stuff takes practice.

joneh - 6/4/08 at 07:09 PM

Absolute awsome site for following satellites www.n2yo.com. Saw the space station go over the other night. Very bright. Its going over again at about 9.43 tonight.

meany - 6/4/08 at 07:19 PM

speak to my ex-boss.
this is his hobby/second proffesion.

http://www.theplanetearthcentre.btinternet.co.uk/

Dusty - 6/4/08 at 07:25 PM

I quite like the your sky feature at fourmil lab. You can put in your position and edit most parameters for what the sky maps show.

[Edited on 6/4/08 by Dusty]

Simon - 6/4/08 at 07:37 PM

I use this for space station and shuttle viewings:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

Click on sighting opportunities - click country and nearest town.

A few years back, it was announced that we should be able to see the shuttle booster rockets re-enter the atmosphere. I was a little sceptical, but thought I'd stay out and see. Over came the shuttle, bang on time, then the two of the shortest "shooting stars" I've ever seen.

Wife keeps pestering me to buy a telescope (for me)

ATB

Simon

jollygreengiant - 6/4/08 at 07:45 PM

Red shift 3 (I think its now 4 or 5) used to be a good 'puter program.

NeilP - 6/4/08 at 07:50 PM

www.heavens-above.com

Brilliant site - Use it all the time when visiting the folks in the deep dark countryside and want to watch the ISS go over - Bloody impressive...

907 - 6/4/08 at 08:08 PM

Many thanks for that info chaps.

Thankfully I don't know how to put a pic in this section, which saves embarrisment.
Well I did say it was Locost.

It's a 6" refractor. (that's the good bit)

It's made from a WW11 reconnaissance camera, (convex lens, concave lens, and an iris)
A bit of plastic water pipe, and a bomb sight focus slide, with a 25mm Plossl eye piece.
The maker was a bit of a woodworker.

Pic in my archive. ( I advise you don't look )

Cheers

Paul G

[Edited on 6/4/08 by 907]

DIY Si - 6/4/08 at 08:20 PM

Image deleted by owner

What this old thing? Looks like it could be perfectly Locost. Besides, I'm sure you could knock up some shiny ally case for it!

Trev D - 6/4/08 at 08:23 PM

Hi Paul an absolute excellent programme for the computer is stary night back yard once loaded you put in your postcode and it will give you real time positions from your house stars,planets and satelites. I do have it here if you would like it you are more than welcome. ATB Trev

907 - 6/4/08 at 10:57 PM

Thanks Si for the pic. I'll get my head round image tags one day.

Thanks Trev. I'll take you up on that if I may.

Thanks everyone for the websites. I have a minor op on Thursday and will be off
work for a week or so. I will use this time to look through them.

I did set the scope up on a wobbly camera tripod today and scanned the horizon.
The Sudbury TV mast has interesting triangulation.
I could almost see the nuts & bolts that hold it together.

ATB

Paul G

iank - 7/4/08 at 07:38 AM

Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/ is free and pretty good.

Mr Whippy - 7/4/08 at 08:06 AM

Google sky, load it up. VERY impressive.

I have a large telescope, just cleaned the mirror last week, working very well. I can easily see the polar ice caps on Mars. The planets are very easy to spot in the sky, they don't flicker unfortunately Saturn has its rings at a shallow angle right now and they're about to disappear soon.

That telescope you have is best for observing the moon and planets as they have the best contrast. Don't make the mistake of thinking that telescope is naff just cos it's make of wood etc, most are made from very simple materials, what matters is the lens or mirror and I'd imagine the ones you have are actually made quite well, so enjoy it.

Another thing you can do is get a solar filter made from Mylar that goes over the front of the telescope (not the eyepiece, never get one that goes on the eye piece) this dims the sun so much you can clearly see the surface, no I’m serious, you can make out the cells and flares plus sunspots are very large (none showing right now, but that’s soon to change) Very little magnification is required as it’s the same as the moon and obviously there’s plenty of light

David Jenkins - 7/4/08 at 08:13 AM

I would never look directly at the sun - it's just too dangerous. I wouldn't like to trust the filter to block the heat energy.

It's also unnecessary, as rigging up a white card 12" behind the telescope is so easy, and projecting the image is 100% safe.

First image that came to mind was:

laser
laser

[Edited on 7/4/08 by David Jenkins]