Board logo

roll bar
milson - 17/2/08 at 07:47 PM

need to make my roll bar 2" taller is it better to get a new one made or to cut and weld in a new piece

twybrow - 17/2/08 at 07:55 PM

I have to do something similar. I was thinking of buying/having made a couple of cobra style hoops. I was planning to chop them down to mini hoops to add the required height...

indykid - 17/2/08 at 08:05 PM

start again.

it's your head on the line!

and get some proper back braces in (to the chassis, not to the back rail)!!
tom

twybrow - 17/2/08 at 08:16 PM

Mine is already properly braced. I if were to add 2-3" using this method, I cant see they would need any additional bracing. The bending moment would be miniscule compared to a standard cobra hoop.

Like this....?

Roll hoops?
Roll hoops?

[Edited on 17/2/08 by twybrow]

blakep82 - 17/2/08 at 08:16 PM

start again!

milson - 17/2/08 at 08:29 PM

ok new one it is what thickness of metal do i need

Liam - 17/2/08 at 08:35 PM

Twybrow - i've seen a few racers adding a few extra inches headroom to a roll cage in the way you suggest. You've got a properly braced bar to start with so i don't see any problems with your approach. My 2p

liam

twybrow - 17/2/08 at 08:38 PM

Phew - I'm glad at least someone else would support the idea! Anyone got a picture of something similar?

indykid - 17/2/08 at 11:16 PM

sorry twybrow, my comment wasn't aimed at you.

i know some of the experienced racers will disagree, but i'd be reasonably happy with the extensions you propose.

i don't think i'd ever be fully happy with less than full cage again, but it's a somewhat larger proposition on a built car.
tom

[Edited on 17/2/08 by indykid]

twybrow - 17/2/08 at 11:22 PM

no problem indykid! It is far from a finished car, but too far to think about making a new roll bar. I am hoping i wont need it, but I am a lanky bastard, so I will have to see how it all sits when complete. Thanks for the feedback (and sorry for the post hijack milson!)