Board logo

Converting race car for road use
tegwin - 2/2/08 at 04:29 PM

How hard would it be to take a supersport hillclimb ish type car and stick it on the road..

The main things that come to mind;
low ground clearance,
No handbrake
Non legal tyres,
No lights,
Suspension hard enough to loose a mans manliness!

All of them seem relativley straight forwards to fix, but how hard would it be to raise a car like that up by say 3" whilst keeping good geometery and then get it though SVA?

I know someone on here has already done this, so how did you do it?

Is it worth the effort? Will the chassis handle being on the road etc?

Im specifically thinking of something a bit like this:

[Edited on 2/2/08 by tegwin]

[Edited on 2/2/08 by tegwin]

nitram38 - 2/2/08 at 04:44 PM

Raising the car and moving all of the suspension is your biggest problem.
That is why I didn't buy a single seater and just convert it, I built the F1-2 from scratch.
Ask Russ Bost, his Furore was once a Formula 2000.

My panels will be back from the painters on Mon/Tue and it will be up for sale this year, but I will want a lot more than £1800 for it!

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/2/2008 by nitram38]

zilspeed - 2/2/08 at 05:18 PM

Pedant Alert.

I believe Russ based his car on a Formula Ford 2000, not a Formula 2000 which is a different thing altogether.

Mr Whippy - 2/2/08 at 06:21 PM

ground clearance is easy, get bigger wheels.

zilspeed - 2/2/08 at 07:40 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that.

1) It's on 13" wheels
2) They're Barnby magnesium jobs.

Carlsberg don't make wheels, but if they did etc............

(IMHO it just doesn't get any better than the above).

russbost - 2/2/08 at 07:51 PM

Ground clearance is the single biggest problem. Even having modified all the suspension to get from about 25mm clearance up to about 60/65mm I finished up having to go for 18" wheels with a relatively high sidewall (45 profile front, 40 rear) to get the ground clearance needed. The wheels/tyres at this size weigh about as much as a small bungalow each!
You have to bear in mind that changing wheel /tyre diameter affects all sorts of suspension angles such as scrub radius etc. On mine it works brilliantly, but I would be the first to admit that is more due to luck than judgement & big wheels & tyres will increase your unsprung weight.

This is the reason that the car for production has had the suspension designed from scratch using the Toyota MR2 bits rathet than modifying a single seater setup.

As long as you're capable of modifying the suspension yourself & have the time available it's a cheap way of getting fantastic performance.

You will always finish up with a "Q" plate this way as the age of parts is unproveable - this didn't matter to me as I wasn't trying to convince anyone the car was anything other than what it is. HTH