Board logo

Front engined rear wheel drive mini
goodall - 1/4/07 at 06:47 PM

pros; dont lose the back seat so it stays a 4 seater, can fit a nice twin over head cam engine

cons; isnt as interesting, might not be enough weight at the rear, not as good of weight distribution as mid engined

why does everyone seem to go down the road of mid engined ones?

[Edited on 1/4/07 by goodall]

Hammerhead - 1/4/07 at 06:50 PM

don't think you would be able to fit the engine longitudinally. unless you use a bike engine maybe?
more details needed.

speedyxjs - 1/4/07 at 06:50 PM

I think most people prefer driving sideways

ecosse - 1/4/07 at 07:07 PM

A pal of mine did exactly that years ago (like 25yrs ago!), ford 1300ohv in the front of a mini, had to use clubman front to get it in and make a new bulkhead and tunnel around the gearbox, also ended up sitting so far back because of the tunnel that he had to cut out the back seat base to get a seat in with pedals that were usable, and dont even ask about the rear axle suspension setup
And while he got it all working and driving it never made the road, reckoned it was easier and better to just build a fast mini!

Although using a modern small capacity twink might make things easier, the gearbox would still be an issue though.

Better idea would be a bike engine in the front driving a rear sierra style diff unit with IRS, that would be workable, it would allow a small tunnel too so bulkhead and pedals could stay standard.

Cheers

Alex

goodall - 1/4/07 at 07:27 PM

i was thinking rover k-series mated to a triumph gearbox with an overdrive with the double wish bone rear suspension useing mini front hubs.

the idea of useing triumph/rover group parts is to keep it kinda the one make, just a nice idea also have the parts needed

im sure there would be about the same leg space as founded in a locost would there not be

oadamo - 1/4/07 at 08:08 PM

thats what iam doing with my saxo.engine in the front rwd. i didnt want to rear mount it because of the noise and smells being 2 foot away from your head taking all the fun out of it.i no i guy with a rear engine car with a supercharger on it and he takes it on a trailer everywhere because it cant stand the noise.he said its ok on the track cus he has the helmet on. not my cup of tea.dont see the point of it i want to be able to drive it anywhere.way dont you look at putting a daihatsu charade engine in there 1L turbo 3 cylinder i had one a few years back had it dyno at 130bhp on 10psi but i dont no about rwd gearbox that would fit it.
adam

goodall - 1/4/07 at 09:24 PM

yea its just such a better idea for comfort to keep the engine in the engine bay even if that car is a mini which isnt comfortable at the bes of times but a set of coil overs and some modified suspension should sort that out and sound proofing... i hope

[Edited on 1/4/07 by goodall]

iank - 1/4/07 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
don't think you would be able to fit the engine longitudinally. unless you use a bike engine maybe?
more details needed.

Amazing what can be made to fit if you chop out enough metal.

Longitudinal Cologne V6 with a 4x4 transmission anyone
http://www.v6mini.co.uk/

SixedUp - 1/4/07 at 11:14 PM

That is just utterly mental ... and I want one!
Cheers
Richard

ecosse - 2/4/07 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
more details needed.

Amazing what can be made to fit if you chop out enough metal.

Longitudinal Cologne V6 with a 4x4 transmission anyone
http://www.v6mini.co.uk/

That is very similar to what I remember of the 1300ohv install, big tunnel with seats in the rear, properly finished though, and looks like fun

Cheers
Alex

andyps - 2/4/07 at 11:26 AM

The only thing is - why bother using the Mini bodyshell? By the time you have a new rear end, revised front suspension and a different engine all the character of a Mini is gone. And if you want sideways action there is not much wrong with a fwd Mini as long as you know how to drive them! Rescued attachment 060619_austin-mini_curva.jpg
Rescued attachment 060619_austin-mini_curva.jpg

goodall - 2/4/07 at 11:27 AM

but the seats dont need to be that far back and they also have used a ford 4x4 gearbox which needs more space, i think i will do some measureing of all this on tonight are someday soon

soggy 3 - 3/4/07 at 03:30 PM

Try www.16vmini.co.uk or www.theminiforum.co.uk great info and on one of them there is a guy who has built a frwd mini with an xe.

DIY Si - 3/4/07 at 03:38 PM

Why did you have to post that 4x4 mini link? I'd managed to lose it and had forgotten how tempting the idea is! Damn you, there's enough ideas in my head already!
Only thing is, it doesn't appear that hard to do either, new subframe in the boot, and jobs a good 'un. Well, nearly.....

goodall - 3/4/07 at 05:19 PM

yea iv been looking at the idea for a while and it looks simple in comparison to welding up a space frame for a seven, iv seen that 4x4 mini site before and dam that looks nice but the transmission tunnel is just a shade on the big side when you think about how little space youre left with, i think simple rwd would give a better balance

Volvorsport - 3/4/07 at 05:22 PM

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.slater133/555_interieur_groot.jpg

something like this doesnt appeal to you?

try lookinng up daf and volvo 66 if you want a mini sized front engine rear drive

goodall - 6/4/07 at 07:55 PM

sounds from what i read that puting a 16V engine in is simple if u stay fwd

hum so if i do, do this it will be the k-series and box transverse fwd, 100bhp will be a lot nicer than 35bhp from the a-series

akumabito - 7/4/07 at 06:19 AM

Keep it front engined, front wheel drive, just add a ridiculous engine... http://www.v8mini.co.uk