Board logo

Why compromise??
Mr Whippy - 26/3/07 at 11:49 AM

With all the discussion just now about front engined or rear engined we have missed out one obvious option why not have both!! Like this mad moke Rescued attachment twini.jpg
Rescued attachment twini.jpg

pewe - 26/3/07 at 11:55 AM

Seem to recall that BMC were developing it as a military go anywhere vehicle but it never quite took off (!).
One was used for hillclimbs and sprints in the late 60's/early 70's and went by the name of the Fairley Poke.
Cheers, Pewe

Mr Whippy - 26/3/07 at 12:03 PM

Two gear levers!! that means you could have it in forward and reverse!!

DIY Si - 26/3/07 at 12:10 PM

Didn't Issigonis crash one of those and decide they were a bit tooo mad?

russbost - 26/3/07 at 12:14 PM

When I raced autoX in the early/middle seventies there was a special called the "Buffey Mowog" which had a Cooper S engine & manual box in the front & a Cooper S engine with auto box in the back. It used to go like a rocket & the auto box just shifted gear as conditions demanded.

TGR-ECOSSE - 26/3/07 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Didn't Issigonis crash one of those and decide they were a bit tooo mad?

Thought it was John Cooper that crashed one but according to the wife i am not right very often if at all

02GF74 - 26/3/07 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Seem to recall that BMC were developing it as a military go anywhere vehicle but it never quite took off (!).

The MOD were trialling these as well as Citroen 2CV for a air portable go anywhere vehicle. Niether were up to the job - too little gournd clearence on the moke and 2CV suspension too weak; the result ofthe trials was the 1/2 Ton Land Rover, more commonly know as the Lightweight.

By the time they came in tor production, the lifting capacity of the Westland helicopter had increased which meant that they were somewht superflous but look dead goodthough

MikeRJ - 26/3/07 at 12:24 PM

It was John Cooper, but it was a twin engined Mini Cooper that he crashed, not a Moke. Allegedly one of the tie rods came adrift on the rear end.

Some more details for anyone interested.

iank - 26/3/07 at 12:37 PM

As said ^^^ it was John Cooper who crashed the twini. It was pretty much the last nail in the coffin of Cooper F1 though they were already in decline.

For an off-road mini the ANT prototype was better.

Mr Whippy - 26/3/07 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Two gear levers!! that means you could have it in forward and reverse!!

This could answer the age old question of what’s better…a BEC or a CEC…tug of war!!!

DIY Si - 26/3/07 at 01:24 PM

I knew someone crucial to minis had crashed a twin engined version, just couldn't quite be sure who and which version!

jlparsons - 26/3/07 at 04:48 PM

Mercedes did that with a funky high performance a-class i think. two 1.9 engines. Nippy.

Perhaps the extra weight let them get the better of the elk in the end...!

[Edited on 26/3/07 by jlparsons]

steve m - 26/3/07 at 04:53 PM

Nice Piccy

brings back child hood memories of me dangling my hand over the side, aged about 6 while living in africa, much to my mothers concern,
i remember the speed, it was sooo fast, NOT !!
but to be that open and that close to the ground with no roof, sides, any fomr of protection against anything, and no seatbelts

sheer bliss