Board logo

civic drop link
thunderace - 23/2/07 at 12:35 PM

hi im doing a drop link on a civic and i normaly use the jack under the links to stop them moving but this one is side on do i need to buy a special tool to remove it?? and refit the new one?? Rescued attachment Picture civic.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture civic.jpg

macnab - 23/2/07 at 12:38 PM

to take it off, clean that thread real well preferably with a blow torch.

if it's the taper spinning, try cleaning the thread very well and tightning up with a plane nut and then replacing it with a nyloc once the taper bit in. A few scratches on the taper might help.

[Edited on 23/2/07 by macnab]

Mansfield - 23/2/07 at 01:04 PM

If you are replacing the droplink, you could cut the boot off and get some small mole grips to hold the shaft. Make sure you have the room/small enough grips before too much butchering. Works every time for me but you cant reuse the links. You have more room if the joints are really knackered as well. I know this because nearly all the joints on my Peugeot are/were knackered.

Aboardman - 23/2/07 at 02:28 PM

when i had to do the front springs on my focus had to remove the drop links, on a focus you put a allen key into the end of the thread section and undo the nut.

however whos stupid idea this is needs a good kicking, because as as soon as you as you apply pressure to the allen key it splits the threaded section, so i had to force mole grips on behind the boot, guess who know has to replace the drop rods.

gazza285 - 23/2/07 at 03:41 PM

Puegoet and Volvo ones have two flats on the other side from the nut for a spanner. Worth having a look.

Peteff - 23/2/07 at 03:54 PM

Cut it off if you're replacing it. Why bother undoing it?