Board logo

OT drilling large hole in bathroom tile
ned - 30/1/07 at 12:24 PM

Been doing the tiling and nearly the last one is where the outlet from the shower (recessed into the wall) comes out. It is a 10mm plastic pipe sticking square out of the wall. I am using large tiles (this one is about half a tile) so about 7-8"x12" high (full tiles are 18x12"!) Tiles are also 8-10mm thick. I recon i need 1/2-3/4" clearance hole to get the grout lines round the tile correct etc. I tried once with the tile drills I had (6m dia) and drilled 8 holes about 2-3mm apart, blunted the drills (pack of 2 -only size b&q warehouse had) and when I tried to carefull knock the centre out you guessed it the tile broke into 3 pieces.

Any advice/suggestions/special tools for this type of thing. It must be a pretty normal thing to have to do, so how do i do it?

cheers,

Ned.

RazMan - 30/1/07 at 12:26 PM

I bought a tile saw for this type of job - a bit like a fret saw which is designed for ceramics.

BenB - 30/1/07 at 12:27 PM

I got a good result using tile cutting hacksaw blades... You still have to very careful not to apply too much pressure and depending on the type of tile it may take a couple of goes due to cracking... Start off with a drilled hole then jigsaw it out, finish with a file...
Good luck!

Pants On Fire - 30/1/07 at 12:28 PM

Split the tile in half, dont cut it with a tile cutter, you'll lose 1-2 mm which will make a big difference and use a tile nibbler to nibble out 2 1/2 circles big enough to take the pipe.

Offer the 2 pieces back together and you'll hardly see the join if you split it as suggested.

Aboardman - 30/1/07 at 12:31 PM

i always tend to use small drill bits and keep moving up a size, just have to watch starting the new size as it can grab on the hole, then if need to make hole larger use a tile file and file the hole larger, and just go a bit above the pipe the size as the fitting what goes over the pipe covers the hole anyhow.

steve m - 30/1/07 at 01:09 PM

I do the same, small masonry drill bits at a very slow speed, takes frigging ages, but is worth the wait if done properly
I bought a tile file , rhymm? from Bodget & question for about a fiver, and once the whole is big enough it cuts it like butter

Goggles and mask essentional !!!!!!!!!!!1

daviep - 30/1/07 at 01:15 PM

I've bored a hole and then used a die grinder with a burr to open out with great success.

PeterW - 30/1/07 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
Been doing the tiling and nearly the last one is where the outlet from the shower (recessed into the wall) comes out. It is a 10mm plastic pipe sticking square out of the wall. I am using large tiles (this one is about half a tile) so about 7-8"x12" high (full tiles are 18x12"!) Tiles are also 8-10mm thick. I recon i need 1/2-3/4" clearance hole to get the grout lines round the tile correct etc. I tried once with the tile drills I had (6m dia) and drilled 8 holes about 2-3mm apart, blunted the drills (pack of 2 -only size b&q warehouse had) and when I tried to carefull knock the centre out you guessed it the tile broke into 3 pieces.

Any advice/suggestions/special tools for this type of thing. It must be a pretty normal thing to have to do, so how do i do it?

cheers,

Ned.

Are you saying you need a 20mm hole in the middle of a tile...?

If so, use one of these - Tile Holesaw and an arbor.

I've got various sizes and they work fine. Drill from the front first to break the glaze and make a pilot hole, then come through from the back.

Cheers

Peter

DaveFJ - 30/1/07 at 01:28 PM

I noticed yesterday that B&Q do a set of hole cutters specifically for ceramic tiles.....

andyps - 30/1/07 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
I noticed yesterday that B&Q do a set of hole cutters specifically for ceramic tiles.....

I used one with perfect results for the shower outlet when I did my bathroom last year - it was blue in colour and basically an abrasive with a drill in the middle. At £10 I did realise it cost me £5 per hole I used it for, and it may be some time before I use it again, but it was a job which had to be done.

ned - 30/1/07 at 02:15 PM

Been to the big B&Q warehouse in Sutton at lunchtime and got another couple of drills and a tile saw and a spare blade. I did look at the arbour holesaws but they only had a 35mm one which is a bit on teh large side so I shall see how I get on this evening. I think keeping the speed down and keep cooling/lubicating with water is the trick as I have done it before but it was late last night and I was getting tired/impatient so probably gave the drill too many beans

cheers for the advice I shall see how I get on and maybe post a piccie later if successful

Ned.

BenB - 30/1/07 at 02:39 PM

The old trick is to make up a damn of bluetack or similar around the place to be drilled then fill the damn with water.... The drill away..... Keeps everything cool and lubricated....

ned - 30/1/07 at 03:05 PM

sounds like a top tip, apart form getting water everywhere as it runs off the tile any fresh cold water I put on also just ran through the holes I'd already drilled so prob best to block them up aswell in future!

cheers,

Ned.

whitestu - 30/1/07 at 04:17 PM

Hi

I've just done what you need to do.

I drilled a single hole with a tile bit and used a hacksaw with a tile blade to cut round.

It was dead easy and the result was pretty neat.

I didn't need to use anything to lubricate it - the drill went through dead easy and the saw blade didn't get hot at all.

Stu

[Edited on 30/1/07 by whitestu]

Angel Acevedo - 30/1/07 at 04:40 PM

Seen somewhere make a drill bit out of copper pipe, make slits longitudinally, twist a little bit, put into drill, use as a hole saw, but add valve lapping compound as cutting media...
I guess they use to cut blanks for telescope eyepiece lenses....
Pipe size to suit..

Surrey Dave - 30/1/07 at 06:37 PM

Have you got the drill bits that just look like an arrow head?

I have some and they are fab , much safer than a masonry bit no hammering !

They go through like a knife through butter, you may be a ble to drill a series of holes and chip it out and grind it? Rescued attachment 509004_s.jpg
Rescued attachment 509004_s.jpg

chockymonster - 30/1/07 at 07:19 PM

I've got a tile cutting bit for my dremel.
Best attachment I've bought, I can cut all sorts of shapes into the tile without breaking it!

JoelP - 30/1/07 at 08:14 PM

i thought you could get abrasive blades for jigsaws? Best would be a hole cutter though.

ned - 31/1/07 at 08:01 AM

Yes Dave those are the bits that I've been using. The bosch ones seem to be £6-8 each which I thought a bit pricey but they havea pack of 2 for £6 by the tiling tools in b&q. Keeping the speed down I did all the work with just one of them. Obviously rushing things the other night to blunt 2 of them!

Ended up drilling a couple of holes to get the blade through then cutting about half the hole with the saw then two more holes to break the centre out then used the saw blade lightly as a file to tidy up the sharp edges. Worked a treat. Yet to stick it to the wall (didn't mix enough adhesive up - better than too much which I normally do and end up throwing loads away!) Hopefully I can cut and fit the last few fiddly edges tonight then get on with the grouting woohoo.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Ned.