Board logo

high tensile steel
thunderace - 21/1/07 at 05:01 PM

i have an outboard drive spline stuck in my crank so i cut it off at the crank to drill and tap it (i was going to stick a socket over it and stick a bolt through it to use it as a pully)but have real peoblems drilling it it has distroyed a number of drill bits ( ZIRCONIUM NITRADE COATED DRILL BIT ) i have gas bottles ,would heating it and leting it cool over night make the steel a lot softer or has anyone any advice on how to remove it i have a 6mm drill bit stuck in it now . Rescued attachment DSCF1084.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF1084.JPG

rusty nuts - 21/1/07 at 05:03 PM

Spark erosion. If your lucky possibly a masonry bit might?? work

the_fbi - 21/1/07 at 05:05 PM

Pictures not too clear, is there enough room to get a pair of stilsons on there?

Or a locking wheelnut remover socket?

Ignore that, looking closer, its a splined (yes you did say that too!) issue youve got.

Weld a makeshift slidehammer on there?

[Edited on 21/1/07 by the_fbi]

flak monkey - 21/1/07 at 05:09 PM

Slide hammer it out. Easy enough to make with a heavy lump of steel and a bit of bar.

12a RX-7 - 21/1/07 at 05:10 PM

How about MIG welding a stud into the hole you have now, not only will it give you somthing to pull on it will get the spline nice and hot if you hit it with plenty of heat.

Peteff - 21/1/07 at 05:35 PM

Yes, weld a stud or threaded bar into it then use your original idea of a puller arrangement using a nut on the other end.

ed_crouch - 21/1/07 at 07:53 PM

Yep. Slidehammer it out.

Might want to warm the crank up with a hot air gun as this will tend to release the trapped part. dont use Oxyacetylene or the like, as it might knacker the journal.

Ed.