Board logo

House alarms
matt.c - 10/1/07 at 07:44 PM

Im thinking of installing an alarm to my house? Anyone else got one? Which one's are good and are there any bad ones?
Also have anyone got alarms in there garages/build sheds? If so which are good? how are they fitted?

Cheers

matt

macnab - 10/1/07 at 07:46 PM

what you need mate is a big batsard dog...

Paul (Notts) - 10/1/07 at 07:54 PM

Just fitted a wireless respone alarm - 6 zone so I have a motion sensor in the garage . 3 motion sensors in the house and two door sensors. - outside siren works off a rechargable battery and solar cell so not power supplie or wires required.

cost a lot more than the wired type but the last house we had I fitted a wired type and it took ages to fit and hide the wires - this one was up in a few hours and only required a socket for the main pannel.

Paul

graememk - 10/1/07 at 08:37 PM

get yourself a dummy box from screw fix and i'll post you a ADT logo sticker

hector - 10/1/07 at 09:02 PM

I have got an alarm system(wired) but if you go wireless then be prepared to change PIR batteries fairly regular. Also got a dialler (£80) installed so if alarm goes off when in work it rings my mobile and 3 other numbers if required!!
cheers colin

thunderace - 10/1/07 at 10:10 PM

i dont ever lock my door as im hoping for free dog meat,
who ever gives a s...t when someones alarm goes off ? Rescued attachment Copy of KILLER SNOW WOLF.jpg
Rescued attachment Copy of KILLER SNOW WOLF.jpg

zetec - 10/1/07 at 10:57 PM

You can get a wired panel with keypad for about £40, PIRs are about £10 and a drum of cable and bell box all adds up to about £100. A guy I work with who fits loads of alarms won't use wireless, and I think very few are used by the pros.

Get two bell boxes if poss and a "sound bomb" internal siren which hurts your ears!

My neighbours are over the fence as soon as it goes off, just depends on your local area.

I fitted a Accenta G3 and has been 100% fault and false alarm free.

macnab - 11/1/07 at 12:05 AM

Get a dog!

A big dog wandering around the yard will prevent any burglar going near your house. Just the sight off huge beyond reason dog chews lying on the lawn will make most go and burgle your neighbours house.

Other things you can do is put 'I love my Doberman' signs in your car window. Put a dummy (or real one if you like) dog flap in the garage door. Even a doghouse with a fake tail sticking out. Have fun be creative.

Then again if you have a real one they leave all that kind of stuff out anyway...

My dog Alice (a Vizsla with a pink collar & pink house) is the biggest girly softy in the world but hear a strange noise and off she goes barking like a loony, it’s a blood curdling bark as well.

Far better than any alarm…

[Edited on 11/1/07 by macnab]

trogdor - 11/1/07 at 09:13 AM

our dog is like that, the biggest softy in the world, but when she hears anyone coming close she certainly makes aware of the fact!

She is a labrador cross and can sound pretty dangerous if you don't know her!

The only person i worry about is the postman, she REALLY doesn't like him and we have no idea why, she has been fine with other posties.

[Edited on 11/1/07 by trogdor]

macnab - 11/1/07 at 12:01 PM

Our posty loves Alice and she him.

I introduced them to each other when we first got her. He'd let her into the van to sniff about. I also gave him a packet of biscuits to give her something each time.

Now as soon as she hears the van she's at the door wanting to see him! Though now she's a bit big to climb about

flak monkey - 11/1/07 at 12:05 PM

Matt, have a word with CTS in lynn, near the southgate roundabout. We know the guy who founded the company, its now been taken over by his partners since he died a few year back

Their stuff is top quality and they will recommend what you need. They know what they are talking about.

David

trogdor - 11/1/07 at 01:11 PM

our labrador katie is fine with everyone, even the old posties, it just the most recent guy, she would always bark no matter who it was but she would proper growl and make horrible noises with him, we had to put a cage over the postbox! is really strange that she was like that with the guy, wonder what it was about him

[Edited on 11/1/07 by trogdor]

geoff shep - 11/1/07 at 09:51 PM

I've fitted both - a wired system to my place, as said above around £100 for the bits but then the house was wired when built so I just had to connect it up. You can put the wires in if you fancy it but it will involve a fair bit of mess and patching up and repainting. I've also fitted a wireless response system, probably same as mentioned above. That was pretty easy really. We got the one with additional internal alarm - some just have the outside bellbox - it has 3 PIRs a door contact and a couple of window contacts. Its easy to set up various zones. We've changed the batteries once a year - so far so good.

matt.c - 12/1/07 at 09:12 PM

Flak, i will give them a call.

Mabye i will have the wireless system.

Cheers for the replies.

Jon Ison - 12/1/07 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
Just fitted a wireless respone alarm - 6 zone so I have a motion sensor in the garage . 3 motion sensors in the house and two door sensors. - outside siren works off a rechargable battery and solar cell so not power supplie or wires required.

cost a lot more than the wired type but the last house we had I fitted a wired type and it took ages to fit and hide the wires - this one was up in a few hours and only required a socket for the main pannel.

Paul

ditto, 3 years ago, still happy with it, outside battery still going strong too.