Board logo

UPVC Window Advice
Hellfire - 3/7/06 at 02:05 PM

Are there any UPVC window fitters out there that could give me some advice? Having had UPVC windows fitted about 12 years ago, the opening mechanism on a couple of the South facing windows, have gradually become more and more difficult to operate to the point where the handle broke off the other day. I need to replace the handle and lubricate the locking mechanisms (something I should have done ages ago, I know).

What type of handle do I need and where can I get them from? Are they a standard fitting which can be unscrewed and simply replaced with a new one or do they differ between window manufacturers. Any advice appreciated

Phil

David Jenkins - 3/7/06 at 02:07 PM

There are some companies around that will repair uPVC windows - worth a look in Yell.com, or the paper-based equivalent.

David

Hellfire - 3/7/06 at 02:41 PM

Yeah I know but I want to do it myself. It can't be too difficult.

richwill - 3/7/06 at 02:45 PM

Try Toolstation or Screwfix they stock replacement parts.

Hellfire - 3/7/06 at 04:57 PM

Just removed the locking mechanism and its actually the whole espagnolette sliding bar (along with the handle) that needs replacing. I reckon I might be struggling now.

Phil

joneh - 3/7/06 at 05:00 PM

I used to do double glazing. Chances are your manufacturer went bust a long time ago and its a totaly different mechanism now. Your only hope is finding the original company and hoping the have an old mechanism around. Do you know what frame it is?

Paul (Notts) - 3/7/06 at 05:39 PM

Just about to fit a new window to the back of the garage and got a double glazed unit in B&Q sale they also sell handles like these - including bar Rescued attachment feb06 058.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 058.jpg

gingerprince - 3/7/06 at 06:33 PM

I'm about to do the same thing - basically the "square hole cam" thing has snapped.

A guy near me who used to do windows on the side has suggested a couple of places near me to try. I'll let you know if either of them are any use - they're Leeds way but they may be of some use.

Hellfire - 3/7/06 at 08:08 PM

I can get the handles without too much problem, it's the sliding espagnolette lock that I really need. Frames were manufactured and fitted by Coldseal but I think they went to the wall a few years ago.