Board logo

new to the forum !!
molo - 30/3/06 at 01:08 PM

I am new to the forum, so if I'v posted this in the wrong please please feel free to offer advice.

Just a hello, to say I'v joined the forum after just over 12 months of lone head scratching and tool kicking, (eventually gathered together enough sense to join !)

I have (enforced I hasten to add) the smallest budget known to man, having spent about £600 all-together in the last twelve months. Most of that was for the springs and the wheels, with most of the parts I have used coming from either breakers, ebay or for the majority, from friends who have built cars already, modified as they go along, and given me the hand-me-downs!

Now I'm at the electrics stage, which I have been dreading from day one, but I still have one full side of head that hasn't been scratched at all yet, so here goes !!

Obviously any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll try and read through all of the topics on the forum, so I end up knowing more than I do now!! (which is not hard, as after 5 minutes of reading about 6 months of scratching was rendered null and void !! if only I'd joined sooner !)

Anyways, I tried to insert a picture, but after being asked for urls and the like my eyes glazed over and my brain switched off !!, but if anyone would like to give me an 'idiots guide' on how to I'd be more than happy to oblige (bearing in mind the photos are on my hard drive).

As said, my budget is quite small, so I'm quite happy to plod along with the standard pinto, sierra dif (not lsd or anything posh) and type 9 gearbox I have at present, but who knows what I'll do once I get to the modification stage (once I'v passed sva?)

Many thanks

Mick

[Edited on 30/3/06 by molo]

ayoungman - 30/3/06 at 01:15 PM

Welcome aboard Mick. There's nothing wrong with Pinto power and type nine box. It used to push Capris' along at a fair rate didn't it ! Your car will be significantly lighter than a Capri. Also, it will give you the opportunity to upgrade the specification once its on the road. There's plenty of fellas on here with the same spec as you.

mookaloid - 30/3/06 at 01:16 PM

Welcome to the forum Mick.

Sounds like you are a locost builder in the true spirit of locosting

Posting photos: use the 'browse' button to find (on your hard drive) the picture you want to post.

JPG's seem to work ok - try not to make them too big though we don't all have 21" monitors!

Cheers

Mark

mookaloid - 30/3/06 at 01:17 PM

ps Pinto's are great - don't let any of the BEC boys tell you otherwise.

Cheers

Mark

nick205 - 30/3/06 at 01:22 PM

Glad to have you aboard Mick!

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with the build, remember £250 is the target

Nothing wrong with good ole Pinto Beans, there's plenty of superb cars on here being hauled along by the same engine.

On the wiring front, I tried to use the donor Sierra loom, but very quickly gave up and bought a purpose made Vicki Green loom from lolocost for ~£75. Whilst this may not be the cheapest route it does make for a far easier and better quality wiring set-up IMO.

Good luck
Nick

zilspeed - 30/3/06 at 01:23 PM

If you want to add pics, use the attachment box as illustrated below and take the file directly off your own computer.

Hopefully this will show you how Rescued attachment Posting pics.JPG
Rescued attachment Posting pics.JPG

donut - 30/3/06 at 01:39 PM

Welcome

Don't be afraid to post even the daftest of questions...i do all the time

mookaloid - 30/3/06 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut

Don't be afraid to post even the daftest of questions...i do all the time

We know.......but we like you for it

molo - 30/3/06 at 02:05 PM

Rescued attachment DSCF0150.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0150.JPG

02GF74 - 30/3/06 at 02:16 PM

welcome; looks like you ahve made good progress.

nice wheels - what are they?

also like the battery position low down.

zilspeed - 30/3/06 at 02:17 PM

One last tip

Open a picture file in windows paint by right clicking on it then clicking edit.
Then click on the image menu followed by the stretch/skew option.
This allows you to 'stretch' the image to a percentage of it's original size. This works downwards as well. So you can actually shrink pics as well.
Much more browser friendly

zilspeed - 30/3/06 at 02:19 PM

Like this Rescued attachment locost.JPG
Rescued attachment locost.JPG

Hellfire - 30/3/06 at 02:23 PM

Welcome to the forum m8 and take no notice of Mark's (Mookaloid's) comments re Bike Engined Cars it's a common misconception that popular car engines (ie standard Pinto's) are comparable - they're not. Bike Engines or BEC's as they are commonly known are raw, very, very fast, light; make an agile light car and is easier to work on generally due to it's inherant reliability and compact hi-tec design.

They are however not used to pulling a car therefore gearbox's and clutch's can take a bit of a hammering.... IMO a BEC is better to build because... it just is!

Obviously this is to be read with your tongue lodged into your cheek but please feel free to go on our website (link below) and have a look at how easy it is to build and how they perform (and sound) around various race tracks and stuff. If you have broadband you will have fun

Welcome again and asking any questions will automatically start a healthy reply of varied opinions all to be taken with a pinch of salt and ultimately decided by you! Have fun!!

mookaloid - 30/3/06 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Welcome to the forum m8 and take no notice of Mark's (Mookaloid's) comments re Bike Engined Cars

Got a good bite there

Guinness - 30/3/06 at 02:50 PM

Hello there Mick, welcome to the madhouse. If you need any inspiration you are more than welcome to contact me. I have completed an MK Indy with a ZZR1100 engine.

I called round and took Jambojeef out for a blast last night ad I think he's gone back to his build with renewed enthusiasm!

You've just missed a trackday down at 'Boro and the monthly meeting at the pub of the NE7ER's. Always next month.

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Personally I'd move the battery, cause once you get the side panel on and the exhaust headers on, getting it out if it ever goes wrong is going to be a pain. Or does the pinto exit on the other side? Even so removing the carbs would still be a chew on.

Hellfire - 30/3/06 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

P.S. Personally I'd move the battery, cause once you get the side panel on and the exhaust headers on, getting it out if it ever goes wrong is going to be a pain. Or does the pinto exit on the other side? Even so removing the carbs would still be a chew on.

Or when he's tried a BEC - though the exit is normally out the top and into the sea to anchor a large ship!

Danozeman - 30/3/06 at 04:34 PM

Welcome mate. Looks like youv made good progress there. Nowt wrong with pinto. I nearly binned my zetec for one. Much easier.

P.s are u building on a public toilet??

That sink and the tiles on the floor make it look like one.

ReMan - 30/3/06 at 06:17 PM

Welcome

Good here init!

wilkingj - 30/3/06 at 07:42 PM

Welcome... Looks like the build is going just fine..

Mine was supposed to be finished this time last year

Still.. Its kept me out the pub except for Fridays!

AlexS - 30/3/06 at 08:57 PM

quote:
feel free to go on our website (link below) and have a look at how easy it is to build and how they perform (and sound) around various race tracks and stuff. If you have broadband you will have fun

never saw the videos before, now i really really really want a MK...trouble is i couldnt justify having two kits and i love mine too much