Board logo

You're all jealous
zilspeed - 22/5/05 at 10:30 AM

At my new bangermobile. I know it, you know it...
You're all thinking, "where can I get one of those fine late eighties Japanese ultrabland cars".
Sorry can't help you
P.S. Passat goes back on Wednesday 1st June. Auf Weidersehen, Herr Volkswagen - it's been nice, but not 400 quid a month total hit nice.

P.P.S. Note the carefully applied bubble wrap that the previous elderly gentleman (9 years according to the V5) owner had applied to the front valance to stop stone chipping.

[Edited on 22/5/05 by zilspeed] Rescued attachment Youllbeamazedatamazda.jpg
Rescued attachment Youllbeamazedatamazda.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/5/05 at 10:36 AM

Nice colour Johno

zilspeed - 22/5/05 at 10:39 AM

I believe it's Bangladeshi Racing Silver...

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/5/05 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
I believe it's Bangladeshi Racing Silver...

VELLY VELLY NICE !

http://www.bhangraknights.com/ for da musik

Ferg - 22/5/05 at 10:57 AM

Nice alloys.

zilspeed - 22/5/05 at 10:59 AM

D'you think they have a 95.25mm PCD ?

(Obscure reference designed to make any GTM owner smirk)

nick205 - 22/5/05 at 05:31 PM

NICE

If you're ever short on cash you could always get in a bit of mini-cabbing of an evening

TTK77 - 22/5/05 at 06:42 PM

is it 8 or 12 valve? 2 litre?

Peteff - 22/5/05 at 06:43 PM

There's only 2 kinds of motorist, those who have a silver F reg Mazda 626, and those who wish they had one eh Zil.

zilspeed - 22/5/05 at 08:34 PM

Pete - face it, you're all miles behind me on this one.

One way or another.

P.S. 2.0 12 valve. Like I care
It's just a means to freeing up more cash for GTM bits, holidays, sprint entries etc....

I've started driving even more like a pensioner since I got it and that's only 24hrs.

nick205 - 22/5/05 at 09:24 PM

quote:

P.P.S. Note the carefully applied bubble wrap that the previous elderly gentleman (9 years according to the V5) owner had applied to the front valance to stop stone chipping.

Did said elderly gentleman leave his tweed cap and leather gloves in the car for you?

Noodle - 22/5/05 at 09:33 PM

I bought a 'G' plate one last year (1.8) for £75 + £30 for 12 months MOT. It had FSH and about 80K on the clock.

Cracking motor, thrashed it - and it loved it.

When I was given the 525 I gave the motor to a mate who was in hard times (5 kids - I ask you!). I said give me some money for it when you've got some (i.e. I'll never see a penny) He loves it, uses it daily.

The tickover was so smooth you had to check the revcounter to see if it was running.

Good choice Zil!

Neil.

zilspeed - 22/5/05 at 09:50 PM

[quote
Did said elderly gentleman leave his tweed cap and leather gloves in the car for you?

No need - got my own
Now installed in the glove compartment - also tartan rug folded and placed on rear parcel shelf.

niceperson709 - 22/5/05 at 11:36 PM

And I bet such a bland car will help preserve your licence to
best wishes
Iain

Phil K - 2/6/05 at 12:06 AM

Without meaning to drag this topic back up, but I was reading a copy of this months Car Mechanics magazine and could swear that that car was featured in one of its articles.

They bought 3 cars at auction for a total of £300 and drove them from Peterborough to Peterhead and back (or at least planned to - the rest is in the next months issue).

No real reason to this post, I was just intruiged.

Hellfire - 2/6/05 at 01:39 AM

As it superceeded the Mazda6 (which I have) I can vouch for it's integrity. The engine is great - the hadling is alright - reliability - well, it is japanese!

Great car - very under-rated!!!

zilspeed - 2/6/05 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil K
Without meaning to drag this topic back up, but I was reading a copy of this months Car Mechanics magazine and could swear that that car was featured in one of its articles.

They bought 3 cars at auction for a total of £300 and drove them from Peterborough to Peterhead and back (or at least planned to - the rest is in the next months issue).

No real reason to this post, I was just intruiged.

Well spotted.

I bought the car off Peter Simpson - the editor. I'll spoil next months issue for you by saying that the car made it back to Peterborough unscathed and has since found a home with me in Cumbernauld where it has since been doing sterling service.

P.S. I paid peter slightly more than the total cost of all three cars for this one.
Still perfectly happy with the deal though

DarrenW - 2/6/05 at 09:15 AM

Zil,
That is a thoroughly sound purchase. yes its bland but from experience of a freind of the family - you have your head screwed on. Bullet proof, reliable, cheap ish to run. Even if you scrap it in a years time youve lost nowt compared to the Passat. A years motoring for one months lease... mmmmmmmmmm it makes too much sense. Well done.

As an aside to back you up in your theory - I have been looking at new Diesel. Fancied the Mk5 Golf GT TDi. Balloon payment finance deal was only 200/month if i put 5 grand down. When i did the maths tho i would be stung on going over the mileage, would not own the car and just written off 5 grand deposit. Lke you i have therefore opted out of co. car scheme and kept my 4 yr old Mondeo that owes me nothing.

(VW finance would have written off 13K in 3 years, plus if i wanted deposit back i would have had to save up 150/month - total cost = £350/month excluding the £1,800 mileage sting (6p a mile for anything i do over 10K / year) for a Golf!!!! - no thanks).