macspeedy - 28/11/04 at 10:33 PM

what is this anybody?? Rescued attachment 6463.jpg
Rescued attachment 6463.jpg

stephen_gusterson - 28/11/04 at 10:34 PM

a death trap?

Metal Hippy - 28/11/04 at 10:35 PM

Wasn't he in the Village People?

stephen_gusterson - 28/11/04 at 10:49 PM

could be my car with 2 wheels removed.....

ReMan - 28/11/04 at 11:03 PM

Having seen it in bike mags before, I believe it was hailed as the first V8 motorcycle, its a very old picture

Mark Allanson - 28/11/04 at 11:05 PM

Its actually the prototype for the BSA Bantan before the new taxation reclassification cause a last minute reduction in capacity.

Peteff - 28/11/04 at 11:15 PM

Who the hell would be seen sat behind him? . I can see it now. "Right, now for the next part of the test I want you to ride up there and do a turn in the road."

stephen_gusterson - 28/11/04 at 11:24 PM

i had a bsa bantam d14 once..... until the publicity director of lords cricket ground decided to pull out in front of me....

atb

steve

Avoneer - 28/11/04 at 11:47 PM

How do you lift that thing back up if it falls over?
Pat...

Simon - 29/11/04 at 12:25 AM

Reminds me of a thing called the Wolesley Gyrocar.

IIRC it seat 6 people - Two in front (as usual) 4 more seats in rear, two forward and two rear facing. Between the rear pairs of seats was a huge gyro.

And yes, it only had two wheels too!

ATB

Simon

mangogrooveworkshop - 29/11/04 at 01:49 AM

Good one mac.

derf - 29/11/04 at 03:06 PM

That thing is called "road dogg" The guy was an out of work mechanic and built it. It's based off a Chevy v8, but the builder (and guy shown in the photo) decided that it was heavy and needed hydralic kickstands. Over the course of his build he kept adding things on to it. The total weight of it is just over 4000 lbs. It has stabilizing wheels on each side so it doesnt tip, they are hydralic too, and lift up at speed. The owner actually built 2 of them, and drove the first one for amy miles (I believe over 100,000 miles). Then he built the 2nd one. The 2nd one had been driven for 40,000 miles when he tipped it on a highway and was killed. There have been rumors about a 3rd one, but nobody has been able to locate it.

The 1st one still survives in a private bikle collection of some guy who lives in South Carolina. The last time it was driven was back in the 70's as nobody could figure out how to drive it, until 2001, when a TV show on the US Speed channel did a special on it (which is how I know what it is). The guys in the show tried to drive it, but the driver tipped it artound the 1st corner at 10 mph, he didn't put the training wheels down so he could turn. He walked away alright, and the rather large bike was fine. The owner quickly decided that they would not be test riding it out anymore, and it was quickly loaded up on it's trailer and driven back to the garage where it lives, and the rest of the show was filmed from.

They did highlight some of the important design aspects of the Road Dogg, such as how the builder capped off the main chassis tubes with old cans the large number of hydralic control switches, the large seat etc...

Pretty entertaining show. Do a google search for road dogg to find out more, and also check my facts. I'm not sure about the exact weight and miles each of them were driven.