Board logo

Broadband Speeds
jeffw - 30/11/12 at 04:37 PM

So....I've gone from

2400/9600 modems on BBS
then 19200/38k4 56K then
ISDN2 & Pri at the begining of the net to
ADSL 512 then 2Mb then ADSL Max at 7Mb
Last year ADSL2 arrived and I had two of those at 18Mb up 2 Mbs down....

And now...FTTC has arrived in Paddock Wood

Which is pretty good on a 80/20 circuit.

Very pleased.

mookaloid - 30/11/12 at 04:55 PM

show off - where's the jealous smiley when you need one?

Slimy38 - 30/11/12 at 04:57 PM

BT was kind enough to install fibre on our estate less than a year ago, but imposed download limits. Of course, they then leased it to Sky who don't have download limits....

I get about half your speed though, it would have been another tenner to get to 80 meg. Still, 40 meg is faster than my wireless network so I'm happy!

Xtreme Kermit - 30/11/12 at 05:32 PM

19,200 modems! They were the nuts

morcus - 30/11/12 at 05:39 PM

Am I the only one who just sees a string of numbers? Someone at work keeps asking me questions about this stuff but it's all just random letters and numbers to me.

steve m - 30/11/12 at 06:48 PM

Im with morcus, on this one,

i dont give a flying tos.. about how fast i can download, as, as long as i can type, and hit return, and whatever appears in front of me on the screen does so.

im happy, with whtaever Virgin have given me,

steve

jossey - 30/11/12 at 07:37 PM

I get almost 4mb download here...

Haha.

Country side is fun.

But I only download mobile norp n kit car pics.

JC - 30/11/12 at 07:43 PM

4??!!! You were lucky! Here in rural Lincolnshire I struggle to get 1! Makes me laugh when there are all these pieces on TV about the slowest,broadband in the UK and the speeds they quote always seem to be faster than here!

Roll on countrywide 4g!!!!!!

I am soooooooo envious of you jeff!

pmc_3 - 30/11/12 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
4??!!! You were lucky! Here in rural Lincolnshire I struggle to get 1! Makes me laugh when there are all these pieces on TV about the slowest,broadband in the UK and the speeds they quote always seem to be faster than here!

4? you're lucky, most of the lincolnshire primary schools I deal with had 2mb sdsl up until recently!

Me, i've got cable 30mb for £12.50 a month with no line rental to pay

jossey - 30/11/12 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC

I'm in rural Lincolnshire too I feel lucky now :-)

I got 9mb at my old house just 3 miles away. What a difference a few miles makes....

snippy - 30/11/12 at 08:13 PM

Rural South Leicestershire I only get 1.2 MB at very best. Upload speed is a whopping 0.3!
No Fibre optics out here, no cable either. Guess I have to live with it. 2 miles down the road and they are getting almost 10MB!

big_wasa - 30/11/12 at 08:44 PM

also in linc's and tonight we are getting 26 down load and 9.3 up

Daddylonglegs - 30/11/12 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
show off - where's the jealous smiley when you need one?

Here you go Description
Description

Confused but excited. - 30/11/12 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
So....I've gone from

2400/9600 modems on BBS
then 19200/38k4 56K then
ISDN2 & Pri at the begining of the net to
ADSL 512 then 2Mb then ADSL Max at 7Mb
Last year ADSL2 arrived and I had two of those at 18Mb up 2 Mbs down....

And now...FTTC has arrived in Paddock Wood

Which is pretty good on a 80/20 circuit.

Very pleased.

Before you brag too much, Speedtest.Net only test with a spike.
If you want a true download speed, download a program from Microsoft and time it. Only something small about 30Mb and time it. They have something like a 25Gb pipe and upload without any issues.

I had a reasonable download of about 4-5Mb (pretty good for rural Wales) until BT informed me that they had done an up-grade. I did Bt's speedtest, as it's the only one they acceot and guess what? 5.7Mb to my hub but only 1.49 from my hub to my PC!
This of course prompted a call to downtown Mumbai as I was guaranteed a minimum od 4.5Mb and the guy said my hub was faulty and I would get a new one within two working days.
A week later I rang to ask where my hub was, only to be told it had been cancelled because my contract had run out. When I pointed out that they were still taking my monthly payments, the response was basically, tough! So, arm up my back, I commited to a new 12 month contract. They new Mk3 hub duly arrived, a week late!
Chuffed iwth my new up-graded hub I attempted a speed test on BT's web site, only to be told that I couldn't do a test as I did not have a BT line. *@$! WTF?
After trying for several days (now that I no longer get told I don't have a BT line) the BT test constantly fails at 96% and tells me to contact my ISP!
Another call to Mumbai and I am instructed to connect to a BT site, to re-set my hub password. After doing this I was asked if I could now connect to the internet?
I pointed out that I was already connected to the internet as we had just re-set my bloody hub! The problem was, that I couldn't check my download speed. After a coversation like a bloody Brian Rix farce, I said either do a speed test from your end, as I have repeatedly asked or connect me to your manager. "The manager is busy on another call, he will ring you back". that was at 9pm. At 11pm I went to bed.
I'm still waiting for the call, six days later. He must have some bloody phone bill!
BT Complaints hear we come! Again!

jeffw - 1/12/12 at 06:48 AM

Microsoft seem to have a hard cap of around 2MB/s per download. I ran out of things to download.

JoelP - 1/12/12 at 08:11 AM

bizarrely, this is a rubbish result but the connection is perfectly fast enough for me. Videos work fine.