Board logo

OMG!
coozer - 24/8/10 at 06:32 PM

What the hell is happening to me??

I'm surging to buy a caravan!

You know them bloody things that blog the A + B roads up!

Crazy, but after seeing hundreds of them on the M1 Sunday I really do want one now.

Thank god I've got no where to keep one when its not being used

PHEW!

PSpirine - 24/8/10 at 06:33 PM

Get a campervan instead ya nancy! If it's a VW, then everybody treats you lovingly when you clog up the roads in the exact same way

lotusmadandy - 24/8/10 at 06:36 PM

Dont do it,you will only strip it down and build another trailer

Andy

RichardK - 24/8/10 at 06:37 PM

Buy that tig instead!

bob tatt - 24/8/10 at 06:39 PM

continue with this crazy ness and there will be no other option but death by some horible means.
there is no such thing as a good caravan or bloody vw campervan hate the things with a passion.
as my dad used to say never sleep in the same room you sh@t in wise words.

balidey - 24/8/10 at 06:46 PM

Earlier this year we bought a folding camper. Half way between a trailer tent and a caravan. Folds down small, easy to tow, no need to buy a bigger car. Our family love it, we've been away in in every other week over the summer. We are getting more use out of it than either a tent or caravan would have done.
And best of all, its a stroke of engineering genius. It still amazes me everytime we open it up.

Mark Allanson - 24/8/10 at 06:56 PM

I have a lightweight 2 berth caravan, it goes to Silverstone every year for the classic, costs £50 at Whittlebury golf club foe the 4 nights, a saving of £750 on the local hotels! (the whole box on wheels only cost £600)

It is good accommodation for any guests as our cottage only has 2 bedrooms.

It is an absolute trial to pull with my 1.4 Golf, but worth it in the end - but beware fuel consumption - the Golf normally does 45mpg, but only 28 with the tupperware tent on the back!

balidey - 24/8/10 at 07:04 PM

Or a tear drop trailer ?
If my family wasn't so big then I would get one.

norfolkluego - 24/8/10 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Buy that tig instead!

Buy anything instead -----please

mookaloid - 24/8/10 at 07:29 PM

caravans are great - go for it Steve

RichardK - 24/8/10 at 07:30 PM

^^^^^^ Ignore him he's a lost cause

dan8400 - 24/8/10 at 07:33 PM

Dont want to hijack this thread but i just gotta say......

I hate VW campers!!!! Dont get why they are cool.... hate hate hate when people go on about how retro and this that and the other nonsense. Drive on any road in the summer and the hard shoulder is lined with them!! aarrggh

*rant over.

(ps dont buy a caravan, you can stay in alot of b&b's before you'll pay for a caravan)

Dan

Mark Allanson - 24/8/10 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
Dont want to hijack this thread but i just gotta say......

I hate VW campers!!!! Dont get why they are cool.... hate hate hate when people go on about how retro and this that and the other nonsense. Drive on any road in the summer and the hard shoulder is lined with them!! aarrggh

*rant over.

(ps dont buy a caravan, you can stay in alot of b&b's before you'll pay for a caravan)

Dan

I own a VW but it is cooled by water - if you buy one cooled by air you will have nothing but trouble, you will spend twice as long under it than in it, half of that welding it hopefully faster than it corrodes, the other half trying to make all the rotating parts rotate - nasty, spiteful things, best left to the hippies and surfers

dan8400 - 24/8/10 at 07:48 PM

Dont want to offend/p155 anyone off, just my opinion.

I dont get it.....

There are people out there who dont get kit cars................

........I know i struggle to belive it too

Dan

Mark Allanson - 24/8/10 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
Dont want to offend/p155 anyone off, just my opinion.

I dont get it.....

There are people out there who dont get kit cars................

........I know i struggle to belive it too

Dan

I was agreeing with you!

dan8400 - 24/8/10 at 08:08 PM

I know mark just didn't want to upset anyone else reading that's all.

Each to their own and so on.

mookaloid - 24/8/10 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
^^^^^^ Ignore him he's a lost cause

Says the man who borrows a caravan to go on holiday

RichardK - 24/8/10 at 09:16 PM

Big Gob

coozer - 24/8/10 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I have a lightweight 2 berth caravan, it goes to Silverstone every year for the classic, costs £50 at Whittlebury golf club foe the 4 nights, a saving of £750 on the local hotels! (the whole box on wheels only cost £600)

It is good accommodation for any guests as our cottage only has 2 bedrooms.

I

See, thats just what I imagine.. not bothered about towing, my Shogun does 28mpg with or without a trailer...

scoop - 24/8/10 at 10:20 PM

After the weekend i've just had in a tent in the weather at Shelsley Walsh hell even i'm thinking of getting one and im well known for my dislike of shed dragging

Nash - 24/8/10 at 11:12 PM

Went to the GP this year and its the first time I've camped there. Some spectacular set ups

I took the Trooper, and tents (two of us). Lived out of the 4x4 for 3 days and as much as I loved some of the Caravans and set up people had I would rather buy a modern Tent and utilise the 4x4 more then have to put up with towing a van.

Going again next year and already on the look out for a "proper" tent.

...Neil

Canada EH! - 25/8/10 at 01:02 AM

Just bought a little Boler Egg, 13 feet long 6'6" wide, I can tow it with the Locost. Optional brakes too.

RK - 25/8/10 at 02:28 AM

I am having the exact same thoughts.

Let us know how the Boler works out. Sounds perfect behind the Audi...

steve m - 25/8/10 at 07:24 AM

Buy a caravan, its the way to go
dont join the caravan club as there sites are run by gestapo wanabees, (arseholes)

apart from that its good outdoors fun
We own a Lunar 2000, 2 berth

Steve

Ninehigh - 25/8/10 at 07:27 AM

The difference is we can drive properly therefore won't clog up the roads as we're all capable of driving at 60mph...

Vindi_andy - 25/8/10 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Buy a caravan, its the way to go
dont join the caravan club as there sites are run by gestapo wanabees, (arseholes)

apart from that its good outdoors fun
We own a Lunar 2000, 2 berth

Steve

From my experiences with caravan club I would say join but dont use the bigger sites use CL sites.

Usually run by farmers with or old retired couple with a field and a maximum of 5 vans and very friendly, but thats just my experiences.

You could always do what Im doing and combine caravan with part of the appeal of kitcars and build you own. Buy an old rotten one (mine cost £100 quid) then you get all the bits you want like fridge cooker hob and grill, then build a teardrop on the chassis.

There are already a few robin hoods towing them and my target weight is 600 KG as the car is about 800KG and we will then take the tent for the kids.

That way you can have the same philosophy as the car i.e. locost

[Edited on 25/8/10 by Vindi_andy]

steve m - 25/8/10 at 08:04 AM

I will remain with my view of the Caravan
what ever other's doo, is up to them

just dont drive on the grass
dont take children
dont have any fun
dont go out of your caravan after 1600

You must say good morning etc to evryone, but dont expect to make friends for a week

They are the basic, but not written down rules

but from my experaince 3 CC clubs in 3 months and i will NEVER go to one again

Yet all the other sites we frequent, are good fun, with fairly normal neighbours, not stuck up old farts with there Bescarra van and a small dog !!

Just mine and my wifes views,
i also have had a nasty accident resulting in hospital stays, caused by a gestapo CC warden

Steve

Peteff - 25/8/10 at 09:02 AM

We have a Combicamp trailer tent now, our Silverline Nova caravan is now an allotment shed after 17 years of holiday use. It was 6'6" wide and about 11' long and could easily tow at the legal limit. We are back in the Caravan and Camping Club (not the caravan club though) after being out out of it for a number of years because camping on commercial sites became a nightmare with people up till 3.00am drinking and shouting then deciding it's a good idea to do laps of the field in their car and other such behaviour. Don't knock the rules they are there for a reason.

Bluemoon - 25/8/10 at 09:05 AM

quote:

You could always do what Im doing and combine caravan with part of the appeal of kitcars and build you own. Buy an old rotten one (mine cost £100 quid) then you get all the bits you want like fridge cooker hob and grill, then build a teardrop on the chassis. There are already a few robin hoods towing them and my target weight is 600 KG as the car is about 800KG and we will then take the tent for the kids. That way you can have the same philosophy as the car i.e. locost

Or you could get a puck (our 81 fully laden is 650kg, older ones are a lot less)..

puckcaravan
puckcaravan

Yet to tow it behind the MK but it is possible (and legal!). Tows great with the fiesta (1.3 endura E, i.e. not the zetec, much to my surprise keeps up with traffic no problem)..

Dan

[Edited on 25/8/10 by Bluemoon]

balidey - 25/8/10 at 09:18 AM

Another vote for the Caravan and Camping Club here. My sister is in the CC and they only go on Rallys which are just meet ups in an empty field and then they make their own entertainment. The C&CC sites we have been on have been brilliant. The only rules we have noticed are no dog fouling (which for those of us with dogs is a god send) and no noise after 10pm. Again, us with kids appreciate this. Other than that its a good holiday back to the old values we had when we were kids. And now we have our camper purchased we can go away for a few quic each night. Thats why we got one and thats why we are away in it so often.

Triton - 25/8/10 at 09:26 AM

Noooooo caravans are for camp sites and old blokes who like towing mobile shitehouses around....get yourself a Vw T25 camper and be done with it.

And for those that don't "get it ", how many kit cars can you kip in and make brekkie in the morning, oh and I can use my bus without having to wear waterproofs to keep dry...

Vindi_andy - 25/8/10 at 10:27 AM

seeing the comments and thinking back Im sure it was the C&CC sites mt parents used

Never came across any gestapo and everyone was always very friendly

Jasper - 25/8/10 at 11:53 AM

Well we have our first weekend in a caravan at Goodwood the other week and absolutely LOVED it. My sister and brother-in-law hung out in our 'van as well as they were camping and loved it so much they're now gonna buy their own!!

But, the idea of caravan sites doesn't appeal hugely from what other people have said about them, so we're taking it to Amsterdam (we're seeing a band play there we love) in October for 5 days as I should think the Dutch sites are a little more laid back