Board logo

Ideal Donor Car Found!
Mr G - 17/5/04 at 04:13 PM

Just found and ideal donor vehicle for a engine and transmission swap, only problem is that its missing its flux gate capacitor so if anyone has one knocking about let me know.

Just thought I'd park them up next to each other ready for the work to begin

I also found this behind the drivers seat & i'm not sure what it is - but its someones for £130

Cheers

Marty

Mark H - 17/5/04 at 04:17 PM

derf - 17/5/04 at 05:08 PM

You cannot destroy a Delorian to make a locost tha is sacralidge. If you do I will come back from the future (50 years from not) and beat you over the head with MY hover board.

Seriously though, delorians are incredably beautiful cars, and they are rare too, it's more worth it to restore that and find another donor.

Alan B - 17/5/04 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by derf....Seriously though, delorians are incredably beautiful cars,..........

??????

Funny how people have different tastes...to me they have almost zero appeal.....

Cita - 17/5/04 at 05:52 PM

The story behind the Delorean is more appealing than the car itself i guess!
I heard it was'nt that much of a car either would love to find out myself though

paulbeyer - 17/5/04 at 06:17 PM

Marty, is that an aluminium colostomy bag you have on your bonnet.

macspeedy - 17/5/04 at 08:49 PM

monster garage strikes again well in the past and in america Rescued attachment delorean usa monster garage.jpg
Rescued attachment delorean usa monster garage.jpg

ned - 18/5/04 at 09:08 AM

it's pictures like that that need to be banned form this forum.

Ned.

stephen_gusterson - 18/5/04 at 09:38 AM

I like the delorian - it was thinking of making a replica one that started my build.... but I decided it was way too hard as an amateur to get a decent stainless finish, so went retro rather than BTTF.

You can pick up a delorian for about 10k - around 10,000 were made, so they are not as rare as as a lotus esprit for example.

Most went to USA and are LHD so you may need to import to get one easily.

atb

steve

billy - 18/5/04 at 08:50 PM

i had one of them and im dammed if it would go faster than 88 mph

mackie - 19/5/04 at 08:09 AM

That documentary that was on the other week was v interesting.
As cars going they are pretty rubbish apparently, they were meant to have a V8 but ended up with some crappy renault V6 with hardly any power. Not good with something that was meant to compete with the corvette.
I do think they look cool though, esp with full BTTF body kit. Now that would be a fun project
You can buy a turnkey KITT (from Knightrider) from a bloke in the states too. £30k though :/

stephen_gusterson - 19/5/04 at 09:43 AM

They were 130hp I think. Made at the time when the USA was sensitive about fuel and speed - many cars only had 80mph speedos in those days.

I was in the USA and one drew up alongside once. It looked a bit drab, as its quite hard to keep stainless looking good - this looked like it had more of a blasted effect than polished!

atb

steve

greggors84 - 19/5/04 at 12:56 PM

There was about 6 of them at my local car show at the beginning of last summer. I went back past at 9 o clock and they were all still there, pulled up and was chatting to one of the owners. They were waiting for a tow truck as one had broken down, he said something about Mr Fusion, but i didnt quite catch it..... I had a good look round them and it they are pretty plain looking up close except for the aluminium finish. Think most of the appeal for me is the film.

flak monkey - 19/5/04 at 01:07 PM

quote:

except for the aluminium finish

If only they were aluminium...they might actually have been a bit quicker!

ChrisW - 19/5/04 at 02:40 PM

They're crap. Nuff said!

Chris

James - 19/5/04 at 04:13 PM

I think they're great but then I love the films so what do I know?!

I drove past a house that had one parked outside last year. The guy had been exhibiting it that day at a show. Chatted to him for ages about it. Got to sit in it too and I tell you- it's not a car for tall people!

Apparentlky you can still get most of the parts as the owners club managed to buy the entire stock from the factory when it closed. They've even had miles of interior carpet etc. specially dyed to the original colour so you can get that.

IIRC it's a GRP tub with the stainless glues to it!

Maybe with a decent engine (presumably there's room for a V8 if that's what it was designed for originally) and a few upgrades they'd be ok??

James

flak monkey - 19/5/04 at 04:31 PM

Some things you didnt know about the Delorean...

http://www.delorean-owners.org/legend/index.html

such as the chassis was engineered by Lotus and the bodywork was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro who also did the lotus esprit, Alfa Romeo Giulia and the VW Sirrocco!

But then it was still only 130bhp from a 2.8litre V6

Then again you may already know all this ....

The DMC-12 accelerates from 0 to 60 miles per hour in less than eight seconds, evidently it was geared for acceleration....

[Edited on 19/5/04 by flak monkey]

Cita - 20/5/04 at 05:32 AM

zero to 60 in less than 8 seconds,that's VERY impressive for a sportscar.
If it was'nt for the stainless steel hipe the Delorean would'nt even have made the backpages of the free add paper.
The idea was good,the styling was good,the ss was good but ALL the rest.....