Board logo

look what we uncovered this morning!
locoboy - 8/7/09 at 10:49 AM

We break 4x4's at work and upon lifting the cab on this L200 we were greeted with this!

It had had a frontal impact that must have shoved the front diff/prop back so far that that it had than pushed the transfer case back and totally snapped the transfer box off the gearbox!

With the gearbox being slewed sideways a bit it has totally shattered the bellhousing too.

We have had some cars in that looked far worse than that in terms of accident damage but not one as badly damaged in mechanical terms before.

The engine still fired up first crack and ran well too

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

theconrodkid - 8/7/09 at 10:51 AM

ive taxed worse

Mr Whippy - 8/7/09 at 10:58 AM

02GF74 - 8/7/09 at 11:03 AM

.. and there I was thinkng it was a post about

oh well, the search continues ...

Guinness - 8/7/09 at 11:28 AM

I'd change the story, to something like:-

"We work in a small independant garage, repairs, servicing, MOT etc. Anyway this customer brought their 4x4 in this morning, and aksed if we could have a look at the gearbox as "it was becoming a bit stiff" "

Tis the stuff internet legends are made off!

Mind you, I wouldn't like to have been holding the gearstick at the moment of impact!

Mike

iscmatt - 8/7/09 at 12:14 PM

blakep82 - 8/7/09 at 12:29 PM

i'm surprised that kind of thing doesn't happen more often you know. i've never really thought about that kind of damage to a car before, but i didn't think bellhousings were really all that strong

Mr Whippy - 8/7/09 at 02:07 PM

amazing how brittle all those cracks look, no deformation in the metal. I’ve broken up alloy gearboxes in the past and the metal always bent before braking