Board logo

Is this recession lowering the price of cars for sale?
donut - 29/4/09 at 09:10 PM

Having secured a job for the foreseeable future I'm kinda thinking of possibly building another kit or restoring a classic and was wondering if this recession has meant more people are selling up their part built projects. I have had a quick look round the net but there seems to be a healthy number of people still building.

As i have not been arround much i'm a bit out of touch!

Howlor - 29/4/09 at 09:13 PM

From what I see and hear it is the opposite to some extent.

Steve

McLannahan - 29/4/09 at 09:15 PM

Congrats on the job front - good news!

I don't think cars became as cheap as many hoped. I do think things have picked up in the last month or so though - perhaps if's the hope of a half decent summer here?

I keep looking for bargains on EBay but things seem to be selling for good money!

Dangle_kt - 29/4/09 at 09:30 PM

as someone who needs money at the moment, I need to finish the car, selling without SVA I would loose a lot of cash.

Maybe that is the logic, people can;t afford to loose lots of money on their part built cars?

Just a thought?

blakep82 - 29/4/09 at 09:37 PM

yeah, i have wondered why people have said (and it has been said on here, i'm sure) they're selling coz they've lost their job. sure its some quick cash back, but its a huge loss in the long run, especially if you consider building again once you have a job

JoelP - 29/4/09 at 09:40 PM

prices will be pressured to fall, because as a certain percentage of the population runs out of money, they have to sell to a smaller portion of people who have money to 'waste'.

donut - 29/4/09 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
prices will be pressured to fall, because as a certain percentage of the population runs out of money, they have to sell to a smaller portion of people who have money to 'waste'.

Waste

tegwin - 29/4/09 at 09:50 PM

The price of "interesting" tax exempt cars seems to be doing some interesting things.... not good if you want to buy one though!

The fact that my TVR is tax exempt is one of the main reaons why I am reluctant to sell it...

James - 29/4/09 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
I'm kinda thinking of possibly building another kit

What was it the bowl of petunias said?

Cheers,
James

Fozzie - 29/4/09 at 11:02 PM

quote:
... I'm kinda thinking of possibly building another kit .....As i have not been arround much i'm a bit out of touch!

Oh nooooooooooo Ground Hog Day!

Andy-mate...step a way......

Fozzie

donut - 30/4/09 at 05:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
I'm kinda thinking of possibly building another kit

What was it the bowl of petunias said?

Cheers,
James
Eh??????

quote:

Oh nooooooooooo Ground Hog Day!

Andy-mate...step a way......

Now c'mon, i have been without a car for months and months. During this time i have got rid of the buy, sell bad attitude and yes i was a very silly boy in the past but that is all behind me now.

I'm not sure whether to build, save up and buy or go the classic car route but have plenty of time to consider my options. Thumbs Up
Thumbs Up

02GF74 - 30/4/09 at 07:16 AM

there has been a mad rush to get many cars tested prior to SVA.

now the window is closed, I would expect a fair number of part built kits start appearing now that they need to go through SVA, moslty BECs.

bearing in mind we have had over a month of brill weather and summer is coming up, there will be fewer for sale, and those that are, will be at a slightly inflated price.

Come autumn, bad weather, the recession really starting to bite and half of humanity wiped out by swine flu , I predict there will be bargains to be had.

donut - 30/4/09 at 07:20 AM

quote:

Come autumn, bad weather, the recession really starting to bite and half of humanity wiped out by swine flu , I predict there will be bargains to be had.

speedyxjs - 30/4/09 at 07:35 AM

quote:
quote:

You wont be laughing if that is true

nick205 - 30/4/09 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
quote:

You wont be laughing if that is true

No, but he will be biuying up a bargain though

graememk - 30/4/09 at 08:22 AM

i think you should buy one finished, then you cant sell it after sva.

donut - 30/4/09 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i think you should buy one finished, then you cant sell it after sva.
I know mud sticks but let me get this straight- That was a long time ago and i'm not like that any more. I have no intention to sell as soon as it's on the road so please quit it!

As said i may buy something OTR or a classic, i have not made up my mind as will not do so for many months to come. if i just get abuse [read-piss taking] then I'll just bugger of and do it on my own which i am more than capable of.

Fozzie - 30/4/09 at 10:49 AM

Awwwww carm down Andy-mate, carm down...

We are only having a lend of ya.....
we loves ya really!

Seriously, it depends what you mean by 'classic'.....if it needs a 'ground up' resto, you do need to know how to 'do' a lot yourself .....have deep pockets...and resign yourself to the fact that the car will never be worth what you have spent out on it.......

HTH Fozzie

donut - 30/4/09 at 11:47 AM

Ok...i'm calm!!

Sorry but that joke is just getting a bit to thin! And i wasn't getting at graememk in particular but i just thought after a year that line of fun poking would have abated by now.

As for the 'classic' i am limited for space and it would probably be another Mini. As you say the cost of the restoration would be way more than the return but that should not be an issue, it would just be nice to have a mint car in the garage especially if it were a little rare.

Oh and Fozzie, I'm sorry but that Easter bunny does look like a turd!

[Edited on 30/4/09 by donut]

Hellfire - 30/4/09 at 12:05 PM

Is this a bad time to ask.............. Ever considered a bike engine?

Phil

[Edited on 30-4-09 by Hellfire]

donut - 30/4/09 at 12:11 PM

YES! i have considered a bike engine and NO! i don't want one of them in me car!

Fozzie - 30/4/09 at 12:35 PM

quote:
.........Oh and Fozzie, I'm sorry but that Easter bunny does look like a turd!

[Edited on 30/4/09 by donut]

...yeah it does a bit.....
but at least it kept you lot away from my Easter Choccie

Fozzie

Edit to add :- I have changed it now.......my easter Choc is nearly gone..

[Edited on 30-4-09 by Fozzie]