Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tell us of your funny crashes
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Tell us of your funny crashes

Ok as a bit of fun I thought it would be a laugh for us to share our brushes with the grim reaper and to help I had the idea of using Google maps to do a little accident diagram like we do when trying to make sure we don't get the blame

So here's one of my classics when I was run off the road one night by an artic in my wee Fiesta approaching a humpback bridge. You'll notice I nearly ended up on the rail track to boot. To be honest I panicked at the sight of the monster, locked the wheels up and flew right of the road, opps (I was young then..)

So have a go

[Edited on 26/2/08 by Mr Whippy]Image deleted by owner

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 26/2/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ok so I'd better own up to spinning my Lancia Delta HF Turbo a number of years ago.

The brake bias was off on the car as I braked hard as flossy the sheep had a suicidal tendancy on that cold wet dark night.

The nearside rear locked first and I spun into a ditch, right round flossy so she was unharmed.

The front of the car was bent, but if you ever saw a Lancia at Glenshee Ski Centre being straigtened between 2 JCBs, that was mine!

Cheers

Ian

thunderace

posted on 26/2/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
teaching my brother in the woods how to go a motorbike kx125 ,on a narrow path evrything was going great i was on the back giving him advice then we came to a corner with a 15 foot drop (felt like 100ft)into a river he didnt turn and we went flying hit the water on full revs and ended up up to my neck still on the bike in the middle of a river felt like et .still make us laught there was around 30-50 people at the other side of the river in shock .was the talk of the town for weeks they all thought we were trying to jump the river.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
oh come on there must be more than that or are you all toooooo proud

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 26/2/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
not particularly funny but was in a 4 car shunt on a duel carriageway. i wis on the inside lan, there was a lorry a few cars infront that wasnt sure what lane he wanted to be in, he randomly kept changing lanes, hey was in between the two moving from inside to outside when he notice there was someone in the outside lane, so instead of moving back to the inside he slams his brakes on.

few cars in front of me stop, i stop with a gap between me and the car in front of me, look in my rear view mirror: some chav in a saxo gaining on me very quickly, brace myself ready for the worst but he stops just in time, relax thinking everything's okay *BANG* some woman went into the back of the saxo so hard that he went into me and pushed me into the car infront of me.

she was in an old megane convertible which was pretty much non existent from the steering windscreen onwards, the saxo was about 5 ft shorter and was a write off too.

no visual damage (crash bar under bumper bent though) to the rear of mine apart from crashed number plate which made me laugh as the engine bay of the saxo was half the size

my bonnet was pushed up and front lights smashed, crashbar and slam panel bent etc.

and the car infront of me was teh same as my rear. funniest thing was we all got out, the chav in the car behind me used to go to the same school as me so we knew who each others names, he came up to me and goes why the fu*k did you slam your brakes on!

erm.... to stop me going into the back of someone, exactly the same reason you did it too.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Tralfaz

posted on 26/2/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
20 Years ago while traveling on a dirt road in my MGB....

Description
Description

Blue Line- is me travelling perhaps a 'bit' too fast for the road...though not particularly so while whistling a happy tune.

Yellow Line - is where I round a blind corner and see a pair of Racoons having sex in the middle of the roadway.

Green Line - This is the ditch I end up in.

T

saigonij

posted on 26/2/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
mine was about 2 months after getting my drivers licence....

I had a Ford Capri ( wicked car ) and i was dropping a friend off once night. after dropping him off, i went past my ex-girlfriends house and decided to show off!!!

i booted it as i went round the left hand corner outside her house.....

good plan i thought. thats sure to show how manly i am...

what i did not expect was that

1) it was raining and the road was slippery
2) the corner had an adverse camber
3) there was grit on the road

in any other car you would expect to understeer.... but not a capri. tale out wide and i started to veer to the left ( massive oversteer )

So i slammed on the brakes.
I locked the front wheels and started to slide!
then i hit a parked car!

i felt a right pratt!!!

not only that, but it turns out she was looking out the window at the time too, and saw everything...

oh and the poor guy who i smacked in to - he knew it was a bad corner and it was a bad weather night, so to save his car from all the understeering cars, he moved it to the opposite side of the road - to where i smacked in to it!!!!!

very embarressing!!!!

[Edited on 26/2/08 by saigonij]

bonzoronnie

posted on 26/2/08 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cow!!??

My number one sons first car was a Triumph Acclaim.

It was his pride & Joy

I borrowed it to take the wife shopping.

I was driving down one of our narrow country lanes. Out of the blue, a cow came hurtling from a field gateway

I braked hard, the cow just bounced off the front of the car and ran off.

Wing, headlamp, bonnet & bumper trashed

I was very lucky. The farmer accepted liability and paid for the repairs.

My son was devistated.

Looking back at it now.

A scared father telling his son that he had banged the car up.

Ronnie

[Edited on 26/2/08 by bonzoronnie]

Delinquent

posted on 26/2/08 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
17 yrs old, just passed test, driving a pristine modded VW Beetle I'd built from a scrapper over 8 months.

Leaving college, the way to the main road was via the college bus stop - which had upwards of 400 students standing at it. Slowly travelling through a very pretty young lady I was hoping to "further my knowledge of" waved at me with a big smile. Completely ignoring the road, I waved heartily back. I saw the brake light in front out the corner of my eye. I tried to stamp on the brake, only the floor mounted pedal had broken it's spring earlier in the day - as I clipped it off centre it pinged and fell flat on the floor, leaving my foot with plenty of momentum to skid off and stamp on the accelerator.

The bang was really quite monumental. The chap in front was not at all happy, but 400+ students had a great deal to laugh at - all apart from the attractive young lady who went very red and disappeared rather rapidly.

MikeCapon

posted on 26/2/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
OK Here's one from France for you. In a small, isolated village not far from where I live there lived a succesful businessman and his family. One day, to treat himself, this guy bought a brand new Mercedes. On arriving home all the family came out to admire the new car. Eldest son, who was 18 asked his dad if he could have a go. Off he went for a careful drive round the village with his mate.
Rounding a blind corner he ran into a wild boar ( there's loads of them round here, called "sanglier" can weigh over 150 kilos).
Not much damage, just a broken headlight. Son and mate decide however to put the wild boar, who seems to be dead, in the boot to prove to Papa how the headlight of his new car got broken.
On arriving back in the village they hear a very loud, very angry wild boar going beserk in the boot! These are some scary animals when they are cross and the two lads stopped the car and got out, fast. At this moment the boar burst through the rear seat squab into the passenger compartment and started destroying the interior!!!
Cue the local gendarme. Now these blokes are armed and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The gendarme pulls out his revolver and shoots the boar. Only problem is that the shell goes through the petrol tank and the car catches fire!!

Errrr Dad

www.shock-factory.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest one i have had isnt very funny. Actually its very boring.
I was parking at macdonalds and tapped the concrete pole behind me but it was right in the middle. Just shows how good my parking is
Told you it wasnt funny

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
The biggest one i have had isnt very funny. Actually its very boring.
I was parking at macdonalds and tapped the concrete pole behind me but it was right in the middle. Just shows how good my parking is
Told you it wasnt funny

I'm sorry but you don't meet the require 'Evil Knievel' crash grade for this topic

MikeRJ

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I rolled a brand new tractor that belonged to my grandfathers business. I was driving it back from a local agricultural show, turned into a junction and the steering suddenly went so heavy I could hardly turn the wheel. By the time I'd got my foot on the clutch it had climbed up a hedge and toppled over at about 5 mph!

It was a 4WD Belarus (very similar to this one) and built like a brick outhouse, the only damage was a bent rear wing and a broken spotlight on the cab. Oddly enough what scared me more was having to go and explain what happened to my granddad!

andybod

posted on 27/2/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
sorry if this goes on a bit

when i was 20 i brought a renault 11 turbo my dad was almost ok with this just threatened to burn it out or trash it if he ever heard stories of me racing in it, after about 12 months of carefully thrashing the crap out of it i got up late for work when i should have been opening up i thought i could make up some time by going through the lanes and a nice set of twisty bends i hit the first bend at about 65-70 fine in dry weather but not when wet and started to feel it loose traction so i lifted off the throttle BIG NO NO lift off oversteer spun a couple of times hit grass bank which then spun me in the opposite direction and backwards into the ditch facing where i had just come from and just missing a large tree 2 wheels in a ditch stuck i decide to walk about half mile up farmers driive and ask to be towed out at this stage i'm cra**ing myself at the thought of telling my dad i'de trashed my car ,farmer agreed to tow me out and started chatting unfortunitley he new my dad from years before and asked to be remembered to him which i seemed to forget to do i managed to drive to work and got a right bo**ocking for being about an hour late managed to get a couple of hours off sorted out the car no noticeable panel damage so decided best policy was to not tell me dad ,15years later i still ain't told him but he regularly complains at the number of cars that end up in the ditch through the lanes i kept the car about 3 months hen p/x'd it

davie h

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
when i was 19 i got a peugot 205 1.9 gti and thought i was the dogs bo**ocks one night i was heading to my mates and was going along Hamilton Road in Glasgow doing the speed limit (honest guv) when a car approached a side road as i was approaching the car started to pull out onto the main road and i moved over trying to miss him but no he caught my back end and it sent me in to a spin i ended up hitting a sand stone wall and it ripped the front n/s wheel and shocker from the car. the force of the accident also demolished the whole n/s of the car so much so that the dashboard exploded and showered me with plastic resulting in load of small cuts over my face and arms. when i finally got out of my car the other car was gone as he thought he would be in the crap
(during the spinning i just about sh*t myself and clearly remember missing a lamp post on the drivers side by about 2 inches)

this experience made me change my driving habits if i had hit that lamppost i prob wouldnt be here. a few months after my accident i drove past the same place after another accident where a car had hit a lamppost at almost the same spot and later found out that the driver died as a result

MK Charlie

posted on 28/2/08 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
My crash history is fairly boring. Only ever been a passenger. Most stupid 'crash' though.....
My best mate has a mk3 fiesta RS turbo with a massively modified 2.0 zetec turbo lump. Spent all day saturday fitting a huge ally front mount intercooler and rad (which required cutting the bonnet catch off) Then took it to get mapped running 28psi!
Decided best place to go that night was to south end, so a few heavy duty cable ties to hold bonnet down and off we go. Got to south end fine and embarrased lots of "better" cars on the way. Coming home in the Hatfield tunnel doing a very sensible speed, the cable tie decided it had enough and instantly the bonnet was up, smashed windscreen, caved in roof and smashed sunroof. Both our faces were covered with broken glass. Sat in the Hatfied tunnel for 2hrs waiting for our friend to bring his recovery truck.
Lesson learnt and bigger cable ties ordered! haha (Bonnet pins)

C10CoryM

posted on 2/3/08 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'm bored at home on a Saturday night with a cold ( ) so I'll play.
Damp road, the apex of the corner is also the peak of a hill, and I might have been drifting

Blue arrow is direction of travel
Green line is about where I lost control
Red arrow is where I snap rolled and stopped suddenly.

50-0mph in about 2ft backwards and upside down is not recommended.

Pics of the crash at: http://www3.telus.net/public/corym/crash/

Funny note is you can still see the divots in the grass from my tires in the 06 and 07 aerial photos Rescued attachment crash.JPG
Rescued attachment crash.JPG

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.