Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: scuttle dimensions
scouse mouse

posted on 3/10/03 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
scuttle dimensions

I am at the stage of constructing my scuttle but the book does not give any measurements for radius of corners for both front and back of the scuttle, height of back and also depth.Has anyone got some simple plans or ideas of how to do it.
Ian Pearson

posted on 3/10/03 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
If you are planning on buying your bodywork, get the scuttle skin, bonnet and nosecone before you construct your scuttle frame. When I made mine, I put the nosecone on the car, and using some tubing, extended the line from the nose cone to where I wanted the scuttle. I then measured the height from the chassis to the tube to get the height for the front and rear of the scuttle frame. I then made templates out of MDF, and bent tubing around the profile.
Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/03 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty much what I did, I only had the nosecone so I extended the shape at the rear to the height and width of the scuttle (made mine 1" highet cos of the Pinto!). Cut MDF and used this as a former for tube bending.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon

posted on 3/10/03 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Scouse,

My chassis +4" so have had to make most on my bodywork.

However, I bought a nose cone and widened it as required.

I then took a sheet of 5mm(ish) MDF and transfered the shape of the back of nosecone onto MDF widening it and increasing its height (but keeping general nosecone profile) according to its position on the chassis. I then cut out the shape and clamped it to the chassis.

Finally, took another sheet of MDF and put it in position (rear of scuttle/instrument side) at the correct angle and clamped it in place. Took a big stick with a pen on it, and with the end without the pen on, on the nosecone and the "middle" of stick on front piece of MDF, scribed the shape on rear of scuttle

2 min doodle attached to try and help explantation.

ATB

Simon Rescued attachment scuttle shape.jpg
Rescued attachment scuttle shape.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures say it all really.............. Rescued attachment ScuttleMap.jpg
Rescued attachment ScuttleMap.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scouse mouse

posted on 5/10/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
nosecone fixing

Im going to fit the nosecone to get right dimensions for when i make the scuttle but the problem i've come across is what is the correct position and how do i go about fixing it.The nosecone i've got is from lolocost and does'nt seem to fit squarely on the top chassis rails,i dont want to trim it until i'm sure .Thanks to mark,simon and Ian for the replies on scuttle dimensions they've put me in the right direction
JoelP

posted on 5/10/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
a part from lolocost that doesnt fit? whoever heard of such a thing!!!!

apparently stuff is often wrong from there. if you know where the radiator is going then just make sure it fits and looks symetrical, then make other stuff to fit. be careful about engine height so the bonnet doesnt look too sloped.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.