Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you think i can build a locost for £1200?
novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think i can build a locost for £1200?

as the title suggests, can i build a locost for £1200? any suggestions on cost saving approaces ?

like the XJ6 rear suspension

good suggestions for donors?

i am open minded as to which rear suspension i use, be it live axle or use the Rorty locost IRS designs.

any suggestions much appreciated

cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

stevec

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
No,
Steve.

BenB

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
It depends upon lots of factors like what engine and suspension you're going to use and how much time you're prepared to spend at autojumbles etc collecting parts or on Ebay waiting for a bargain to come up....

If you're prepared to go scrapheap surfing for the parts, make up your own chassis and glassfibre parts etc, use 2nd hand wheel, tyres etc then maybe... I think it would be a big struggle even then!!

JoelP

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
nah, i think its easily possible - you just have to spend nothing extra. Ie, home made seats, all donor parts, lights from an auto jumble etc. Certainly worth a go! The record is well below that figure
goodall

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
well in the title of the book its only £250
perksy

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Including getting it through SVA aswell ?

Nope

goodall

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
why build it to a budget anyway? its always better to build to a stanard
i'm sure that if you just buy what you need it can't cost too much anyway i.e don't buy stupid recaro or cobra seats that cost the same amout as half of the car

do you already have a the tooling needed to build a car?

[Edited on 29/12/06 by goodall]

novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
i have access to prety much every tool under the sun, so the cost of buying tools can be thrown out of the budget.

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

smart51

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall
well in the title of the book its only £250

That was 10 years ago. Add 35% for inflation thats £337.50 in today's money

£1200? Yes, you could do it. It wouldn't be pretty though. When buying chassies and fibreglass parts you pay very little considering how much labour you'd have to put in to get, lets be honest, not as good results. There's a reason that you only pay £100 for a donor car - that's what it's worth. Most people seem to think that overhauling and refurbishing parts, especially the enigne , is a good ideal if you want your locost to last any length of time. It's perhaps best to save up a bit more cash before starting if you want to do a good job.

shortie

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I guess technically it can be done but I'd suggest you'd be a bit unhappy with it once it's done and want to change loads of bits anyway. I'd say save a bit more and then give it a go spending say 3k.

Rich.

novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
anyone recomend any good autojumbles?

James

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
SVA plus retest: £180
TAX: £170

You including insurance in that £1200?

I reckon you can do it... but it'll be a bit of a dog!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
this is just to get a finished car, i will worry bout the SVA later so the £1200 is just for the car nothing else

cheers

Matt

Jon Ison

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
With time spent finding the bargains, making as much as possible your self yea easy.

Bit too late for you now but I have just given away a complete GRP set that just needed a bit of filler and paint including the rear lights and sold the front lights for £20, look out for people clearing there garage like that and you are well on the way.

Good luck, happy building & welcome.

edit too add, you ask which doner ?

Well they can still be found, Cortina, you will have all the running gear you need, engine box, axle, front uprights, brakes, steering column, (will need a different rack) but with a cortina and a homebuilt chassis you are well on the way.

Cant find one ? Go seek out the local banger lads, they still find them, take one off there hands when its wrecked, or better still pull all the bits off it you want at the side of the track as they load the wrecked car before leaving the circuit. not too many beer tokens need change hands, its just a case of been prepared too get your hands dirty.

[Edited on 29/12/06 by Jon Ison]

[Edited on 29/12/06 by Jon Ison]

Jasper

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pair of perfect front wings in blue for £20
Dazza

posted on 29/12/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
yes/no/maybe

you could prob get a part built on ebay for 600 ish, depending on many factors, will be lots for sale in next couple months as people realise they have no money and no time to finsh the mess in the garage, lol... so ebay like a hawk and see what comes up... and with the guys on here being VERY helpfull, you should source all the other items cheap to... give it a go. not alot to lose!!!!!

good luck.

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Simon

posted on 29/12/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you can do it easily

IF:

You get your steel for next to nothing
You get your donor for nothing
You get your panels for very little - second hand ally for most and s/h f/glass for rest
Can recondition essentials (like brakes) on the cheap
Can use instruments from donor

Therefore costs should be

Chassis steel £0
S/H Panels £50
S/H Lights £50
VW Polo rad (new)£42

All running gear/
instruments/loom
rack/uprights etc
from donor £0

SVA/Ins and 6
months RFL £400

Total £552

Still £500 more than the (rumoured) cheapest build, but leaves plenty of space within your budget

Try. And let us know how you get on

ATB

Simon

akumabito

posted on 29/12/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
You can have it cheap
You can have it perfect
You can have it quickly

Though you can have only 2 out of 3 at the time..

novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the help everyone, i will have a damn good go at making the car and of course i will let you all know how i get on, im going to do an online build diary like so many have done previously and post it on my website

cheers

Matt

novacaine

posted on 29/12/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
You can have it cheap
You can have it perfect
You can have it quickly

Though you can have only 2 out of 3 at the time..

thats too true

t.j.

posted on 29/12/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where the h*ll can you find your steel for free???

And the GRP parts?

And the shock absorbers.....

I think the 250 pounds are to satisfy your beloved wife

It will be much more around 5000-6000 pounds.

......it's time that GB goes euro.........

Simon

posted on 29/12/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine on the road for £3k ish (inc SVA/RFL and Insurance - about £600 total), and I made some dodgy purchases, like a knackered engine; splashed out when I didn't really need to, ie new seats and £400 worth of instruments!

Darren does a nice line in shocks for a reasonable amount. They must also be available s/hand!

ATB

SImon

[Edited on 29/12/06 by Simon]

D Beddows

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
No, simply because most people spend at the very least 3K and if YOU could build it for £1200 you would know enough not to need to have to asked the question in the first place (i seem to have come over all zen.....)

gazza285

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
anyone recomend any good autojumbles?

No, but these are a start. Give the Huddersfield ones a miss though.

Penny Farthing Fairs

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 30/12/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
"like the XJ6 rear suspension "

that would weigh more than my whole car !

Also please take the advice from the above comments, as trying to build a good car for £1200 must be impossable, You may be able to do it on your second, third build, as you would Know were you went wrong the first time
My car cost to get on the road £3000 including insurance, tax, mot, and I was lucky enough not to have to go thru SVA

just getting the right SVA compiant parts must cost £ 500 + , seatbelts, e marked lights etc,
I also have made dodgy purchases, and must have a good few hundred quid
of usless rubbish lurking in my garage

And as already been said, the overal look of a £1200 car would be awfull,
and trust me most of the dreadfull cars that Ive seen at the shows, have been budjet builds, and i wouldnt even park next to them

[Edited on 30/12/06 by steve m]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.