Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which to build....
Naccers

posted on 20/6/06 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
Which to build....

Hello all, my first post on here.

I am seriously contemplating building a kit car. Currently i race a Ford XR2 in the PPC sprint and hillclimb championships, and i basically want something a lot faster Lots of the other guys run kit cars of one sort or another so i figure thats the best way to go rather than trying to modify another saloon car.

I am currently thinking of either a Tiger Avon, a MK indy or a Fisher Fury.

The chap over the road from me has a MK indy, but the factory is miles up north, where as Tiger and Fisher arent so far away (max and hour in the car).

What are peoples view on these kits? I've heard the Avon can be a fiddly affair to put together, and i'd readly perfer something straight forward to start out with. I really love the looks of the fisher fury so im rather swayed towards this at the mo, but is a closed wheel car going to be more difficult to build???

I'd really like to go with a bike engine as the squencial shift would be heaven and the sound is amazing!

Anyways, be interested to hear your views on the above.

Cheers

Sponsered by the LEA

Humbug

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Search around for more opinions on the sevens, but from what I have read the Tiger Avon has problems with fit and finish of the bodywork (e.g. different width rear wings, panel gaps). Of the other sevens, the MK Indy is very popular, the Mac#1 has a good reputation (and, from personal experience, very good customer service), MNR have their followers, etc. No doubt other people will post some more opinions.

On the Fury - I too like the looks and did consider getting one. In the end it looked like it was going to cost a bit more. btw they do a version with no screen and no doors, so that would obviously be easier to build (and a bit cheaper) than the full screen+doors version.

Good luck, whatever you choose

[Edited on 20.06.2006 by Humbug]

donut

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'm saying nothing!!

Me bias..naaaahh!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Choose the path of least resistance if you want to make it easier on yourself.

BEC's are great... so they say! But then there are detracters that say CEC are better. (You know who you are! )

Either way - the choice is yours!

Steve

donut

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

BEC's are great... so they say!

So you say...often!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
the fury or the indy would be a good choice, they arent in the same league pricewise as you would have to work quite hard to get a bike engine fury for under £10k and a fully kitted out one could be up to £15k, but they do hold their value fairly well if its built with some attention to detail. i wouldnt get the one with doors as they are supposed to be a pita to get the gaps right and its easy enough just to step over them. the screen is up to you but being curved it is alot more useful than most locost screens.

go and have a look at the factories (even if its a long trip) itll be worth it.

lsdweb

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Naccers - welcome to the forum!

I built a Fury a few years ago - a bit more tricky than the 7 as fitting the bodywork is quite tricky and it's a real pain if you need to take it off again! There's also a lot more work to carry out repairs if you do happen to hit the scenerey. Also, you must ensure you have good cooling around the exhaust in the sill as there has been at least one car burnt out because of this!

That said, they are a gorgeous car and the support from the factory (at the time) was great.

Check your regs if you're going to compete in speed events - some road going classes insist on a full windscreen not just the deflector fitted to the Spyder version.

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment fury.jpg
Rescued attachment fury.jpg

DaveFJ

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Given your stated purpose and desire for a 'simple' build I would say that a bike engine was your way forward. As for the kit... I would go along with what has been said above.. MK,MNR,MAC#1

there is also the Stuart Taylor which i beleive is highly thought of but I don't know how easy they are to build. The Pheonix might appeal to you

link

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

bimbleuk

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'm bias of course towards the Striker but really you should check out the latest revision for the Striker chassis.

More specifically the lowered race chassis which would suit your application even better. So far its been very succesful including setting a couple of lap records in the 750mc championship. This was against fully bodied cars usually have an aerodynamic advantage.

CLICKY

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 20/6/06 by bimbleuk]

joneh

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Kits are for pansies! Build one yourself!

At least that way when you roll it down the hill you wont smash up 2K's worth of chassis and fibreglass.

Mad Dave

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to build a Striker. They are very small compared to the Indy, Mac#1, MNR etc
bimbleuk

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
yep small but still able to fit my long legs and size 11 feet. I did struggle a little with a GRP seat and went back to the factory bench seats.
pathfinder

posted on 20/6/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
How about a Luago Velocity or Locost! Being close to the factory was one of the main factors for me when choosing a kit, think they are now in Stamford so not to far up the A1!
donut

posted on 20/6/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

yep small but still able to fit my long legs and size 11 feet

They should have called it the Raw Tardis!!

Andy

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 20/6/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
all the ex sylva cars were designed to race so most of the manufacturers are setup for race cars as well which will make it alot easier as they already have tyre/suspension setups that work. both the fury and the st phoenix/phasar have had success in the rgb series so they are competitive cars.
chockymonster

posted on 20/6/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building an MNR Vortx, I live 5 hours from MNR and don't really find it a problem. Chris and Marc are so helpful that problems are easily resolved. They return phonecalls and do keep promises!
chrsgrain

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think I've got to mention the guys at Dax - who in Harlow are not that far from you...

Always have been very helpful - building a CEC but their BEC round chassis option is great! They are probably more expensive than some of the competition initially but have a proven track record and some clever suspension ideas if you feel like it...

certainly worth a drive down and look, but don't eat a big lunch before going for a test drive with Gary!

Chris

tiffshaw

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I had a Fury a few years back. It was a fantastic car to drive.

Personally I would buy a second hand car and modify it for race use as you do with the saloon cars. You get a lot better value for money buying complete kits, normally you can pick up great second hand cars cheaper than you could build them.

We bought a pinto engined fury in immaculate condition for 4k. Bike engined ones can be had for well under 10k.

And that way you'll be out on the hills with it quicker too.

Naccers

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Aye but i would like to build it myself, still got the fessy for the rest of this season.

I'd say the MK is the way to go at the minute, although im going to pay fisher and tiger a visit to see what they can offer.

I think the stuart taylor jobby and the fisher fury will be out of my budget, and i think the 7 reps would be a easier going build.

Sponsered by the LEA

DaveFJ

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
don't discount the Tiger B6, it's a little expensive but is a damn fine car with none of the Avons foibles....

link

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

jimgiblett

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the car is mainly for sprints the lighter the better. A Striker is one of the lightest out there.

As for complexity of build, I personally dont think there is much in it in the bid scheme of things between a 7esq car and a full bodied version. You can fit the body in a day on either a fury or a phoenix. The full bodied cars do come at a cost premium but they also hold their value better. For out and out performance there is little in it until you get to 100mph where the aeros come in.

Biased me

Naccers

posted on 20/6/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I would really like o get the price at a minium, i figure its prob best to build something cheap, then i can always sell up and build something better later. This way i can have a bit of a intro to building cars without selling a kidney

Sponsered by the LEA

matt.c

posted on 20/6/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome

I had the same problem as you with choosing whick kit to build and which engine to use. But this weekend i went to newark to have a good look around at alot of kits and owners clubs.
I found that the mk indy was the best one for me and after a little blat round a roundabout in OX;s busa powered car i am going for the bike engine route beacuse i will only use it for sunday drives and track days.
My opinion is for you to look very carefully at the body work and the build quality of other owners cars.

hope this helps

Matt

Naccers

posted on 20/6/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Im only hearing good things about the MK Indy, and matey's car across the road does look very well made. Guess i'll be making a trip up north when im next free to have a look at what they have up there.

Another quick question, how much is a SVA test?

Sponsered by the LEA

chriscook

posted on 20/6/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
There are often xflow engined strikers/furys/phoenixs for sale quite cheap and plenty of people have changed engines or put bike engines in them. For competiton use they are a proven chassis and there is a busy email forum too.

Chris
(Phoenix Owner)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.