Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost trailer project
sdh2903

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Locost trailer project

Having accepted the fact that i'm gonna need a trailer for my car at some point I've been keeping an eye out for one.

Found this beut on ebay only 40 miles away. Anyway after a quick haggle it ended up back on my drive! was a bit of a bargain too!

Just need some lights fitting some steadys and some small ramps and a good tidy up. Come with braked indespension units, new 13" tyres and a heavy duty indespension hitch, rated at a ton too.

One question, the floor is decked out in steel treadplate, which is massively strong but very heavy, just wondered if it was worth putting in a couple of additional cross members and decking out in ally tread plate?

trail 1
trail 1

Description
Description

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
don't wish to worry you, but it looks (in the photo's at least) like the back half if drooping a bit. May be worth a look, and a bit of re-inforcing if that is the case.
As to decking in ally, guess it would save a bit of weight, but hardly locost. Cheaper would be to lose the decking in the middle, especially if you can get the edges bent up an inch or two to give more rigidity....

sdh2903

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Had noticed that about the droop in the photos, its definitly a lot less pronounced with the naked eye. I'm gonna beef up the back end anyhow when i sort out some ramps.

I want to try and keep a full deck so I can use it as a gen purpose trailer as well.

I would like the ally plate but as you say its probably take 3 sheets to deck it out and therefore not cheap!

will121

posted on 9/8/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
changing the deck to ali would save quite a bit, but punched ali sheet from here would cost about £200 but would need some extra support adding some weight

[Edited on 9/8/10 by will121]

SteveWalker

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I want to try and keep a full deck so I can use it as a gen purpose trailer as well.

A couple of pieces of box section welded on each side and the ends as sockets, and you'd be ready for a set of drop in sides. Spring clips through to keep them in place and you'd be set.

[Edited on 9/8/10 by SteveWalker]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/8/10 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just cut the centre section out leaving enough for the car width then you can drop it back in place to use it as a normal flatbed trailer. Then as said, add bracketting for the sides.

Simples (well relatively )

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

sdh2903

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Just cut the centre section out leaving enough for the car width then you can drop it back in place to use it as a normal flatbed trailer. Then as said, add bracketting for the sides.

Mmm that treadplate is at least 3mm thick mild steel, could be fun trying to cut a section out of it!! Unless someone is kind enough to lend me a plasma cutter

adithorp

posted on 10/8/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Mmm that treadplate is at least 3mm thick mild steel, could be fun trying to cut a section out of it!! Unless someone is kind enough to lend me a plasma cutter

Rent one.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.