Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage size for locost?
ned

posted on 27/2/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Garage size for locost?

I'm moving house and will have space to build a garage. I've been doing some rough sketches and have measured the space available.

From my best sketch I recon I'll have about 5m x 3.75m (15'6"x11'7" for the garage. The car should fit in easily (can someone confirm full length of book locost?) and allow space to the side for a workbench + tools etc.

Comments/suggestions anyone?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/2/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Have you got space and funds to go bigger?

If so then do it!

You will more than likely want space to work on stuff when the car is finished and presumably the car will live in there as well as be built in there.

You might also want to think about some running water for tea making facilities as well!

Best of luck.

Nick

ned

posted on 27/2/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,

I am considering (funds permitting) a ground floor extension. The total depth of the property is 6.35m x space available width 3.75m and within that I'd like to try and include a utility room and downstairs toilet (for garage/garden etc) behind the garage. I doubt the other half would allow me to use the entire extension as a garage!

cheers,

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonti

posted on 27/2/04 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mines 18' by 9' 6" and I have a 12' square w/shop on the back. Even then, as you can see you wouldn't want any less room to work easily. You can never have enough room mate......make it as big as you can afford.

[Edited on 27/2/04 by jonti] Rescued attachment lurkin-10-02-04.JPG
Rescued attachment lurkin-10-02-04.JPG

OFROK

Jasper

posted on 27/2/04 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I built mine in a standard size council garage no probs - but I would also say big as you can afford and fit in!

I've just had an offer accepted on a house with both a garage and a workshop behind - HURRAH!!!!!!!! - with plans to build another single garage in line in front so I have enough more space and storage for my shop.

ned

posted on 27/2/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper,

Congrats on the house - you lucky bu**er.

any idea as to the size of the council garage you were/are in?

cheers,

Ned.

Findlay234

posted on 27/2/04 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
you need bugger all space really, may need more when the body's on but.....
Staple balls

posted on 27/2/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
mines

11' x 20'

but, there's a sh1tload of crap in there too, so more like 9'x15' which is enough.

but, bigger is better

[Edited on 27/2/04 by Staple balls]

JoelP

posted on 27/2/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
as hicost says, theres a lot to be said for using head space! lots of stuff gets put on the rafters, and hooks and shelves help no end. lots of tools get stored in the car and moved around as necessary.

lights and a heater make up for space to some extent! but a lot of time can be wasted searching for tape measures, files and pens...!

Mk-Ninja

posted on 27/2/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
From experience build it as big as you can, and also put a door in that will take the tallest 4x4, you never know what you might want to put in it in the future.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

scouseboy

posted on 27/2/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Remember to check out planning regs - I was told by the local planning office that you were able to build a structure(s) up to 70 cubic metres without planning permission, which is about twice what you are planning. This will also include any other building like a conservatory. 5m x 3.5m sounds like a good size though.
(Don't quote me on anything, I could be completely wrong about the rules).

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/2/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
If you are building you garage, make sure you put in a couple of 'I' beams for roof support, they are great for clamping a chain hoist, better than any engine crane, cos the is no crane to get in the way!

Make your garage better than mine! Rescued attachment Garage.jpg
Rescued attachment Garage.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/2/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
PS Thats the only snow we have had in 9 years!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/2/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I know a lad back in SA who built his first one in the lounge!!!!! and had a second chassis in the bedroom to hang his clothes on........mind you Alf did live on his own....Wonder what my wife would say..... doesnt bear thinking about.

Another lad up here by kinross put his tiger together outside his front door and we all know what weather we get up here near KNOCKHILL RACE CIRCUIT! Bravery or what
But on thread a single garage build is possible but get a shed to put all the junk and parts when they are not needed. This improves production no end.

Has anyone ever thought of sticking the car on a trolley on its side!!!!!!!!!!
Keep the kids out it going bruum brum and take up half the space.....mmmmmm

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/2/04 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
most garages are about 18 ft by 7ft 6 - 8ft.

the sizes neds mentioning just look like a chance to boast to me

the length needs to be a bit more than suggested or any future house buyers might not get their jag in

atb

steve

[Edited on 28/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

[Edited on 28/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 28/2/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd build myself a garage something like this for my next build (cashing in on the profit from the first car):

Dave
Image deleted by owner

Northy

posted on 28/2/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building in a single garage. Bodywork and other bits I don't want to get wasted are stored in the spare bedroom! Not much fun when people come to stay

Good job the wife's interested in the build

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Peteff

posted on 29/2/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I built the shed to build the locost in. It took 4 months and cost about £800 in materials. It has better windows than the house (mismeasured stock) and is made of 4" concrete blocks and recycled bricks. It's 21' x 15' and is large enough to do other jobs at the bench without taking the car out.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jonti

posted on 1/3/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's a hell of a "shed" Pete....Does your local planning deparment approve ?

OFROK

craig1410

posted on 2/3/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I bought one of those Metal self-build garages from Hall's Garden Supplies. It is 23'x10' and I think is a very good size for Locost building. Of course you get all the kids bikes and gardening junk as well but that's what's called a compromise...

Anyway, here is a link to one of the UK suppliers as I can't find the Hall's website and here is a photo from the website. You can see what it looks like in practice on my website.

By the way, a 23'x10' shed like this will cost about £1300 plus the foundation but it's guaranteed for 10 years against corrosion and should pass as a "temporary" construction and thus doesn't need planning permission. That's what I was told by my planning dept anyway but it may vary in your area.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.