<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike Helmets
DarrenW

posted on 18/1/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Got it today...

Nice and comfy, well made and has a removeable lining as well.

That'll do me. Will get its first proper try out on Saturday, off out for a blast in our Formula SAE car

David

PS Before anyone says anything, I know tinted visors are illegal for road use, but I couldnt resist

Very interesting comment Flaklad. Are they illegal for use in cars??????? i had this discussion with bike shop. They concluded that although it is a grey area (pardon the pun!) they may be OK for car use. You can wear sunglasses to drive in. You can also wear no eye protection in a car if you want. Law states on bikes that the first defence barrier for eyes has to be certain BS std, apparently most coloured visors dont comply and hence are not legal, im not sure therefore if the tint has anything to do with it.
I have no idea of the correct law in this respect, only going off what i was told but interesting debate nevertheless.

My local shop is selling the NV800 jobby at £90 - 110 depending on colour scheme. Got yourself a bargain there. (They also do some from £40).

flak monkey

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
All the info that I could find was on bike use, and they all say that tinted visors are illegal for use on the road in the UK. The visor I got was a proper Nitro one and complies with all the BS impact testing.

No idea on car use. But as you say, you are allowed to wear sunglasses, so why not tinted visors? There is no requirement for head protection in open-topped cars, so maybe the rule doesnt apply. That would be my argument if stopped for wearing a tinted visor. But obiviously its a bit of a grey area...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RichieC

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
To be compliant with the law, a bike visor has to meet a BS (BS 4110) and also allow a certain amount of light through it (I think its about the 50% mark). Some tinted visors are road legal, mirrored or black are not.
Sunglasses are not illegal when riding a bike if they allow more than about 20% through, same applies to visor inserts. Quite why anyone would want to ride with glasses on out of choice is beyond me, Id rather have nothing in such close proximity to my eyes which could end up right in there in even the smallest of accidents.
Im not entirely sure the legality of wearing a black visor in a car. I certainly intend to, and I suppose if senor plod has a go, you can always take the lid off and continue on your merry little way. The chances of the average bobby knowing the law on this one is slim anyway (not meant as a slur on those who protect and serve).

If your concerned, either get a tinted, road legal one, carry the clear legal one with you to change or use a removable visor tint which sticks on the inside and can be removed in seconds.

As for the debate of good vs cheap. I see both sides of the argument. If its intended as nothing more than to stop debris smacking you in the face at motorway speeds, then any helmet will do. If however you want more and you envisage a time when your heed may contact another part of the car, then a more expensive version would be justified. For me, in the past I have had nothing but Arai on the bike and Peltor/Sparco in the car. I did that as my heads squishy insides are fairly useful from time to time and I couldnt put a price on it.
Another option, if I was intending to spend circa £400 on an Arai, Id rather get one which I can use in motorsport, as the Arai/Shoei bike lids dont comply with new blue book regs. If you have no intention of ever competing, then that option isnt for you.
However, I see nothing wrong with getting a middle of the road (Id personally avoid cheap polycarb lids having seen 2 of them crack clean in half down the seam) helmet for around the £100 mark. There are hundreds of them around which are possibly end of line or last years models. My local bike dealer does Suomy Gunwinds for 99 quid in a variety of colours and sizes, their only crime to mean theyre sold a 1/3 of the RRP is they are out of date models/colours.

Another case of horses for courses, but I think a dash of reality and risk assesment comes into it,

Cheers

Richie

[Edited on 18/1/06 by RichieC]

iank

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just a style thing, or are you after glare reduction?

If just glare why not have a clear visor and wear sunglasses? While I've had some limited success discussing why I hadn't broken the law (with a dog handler FWIW ) I'd persoanally prefer to avoid the hassle in the first place.

RichieC

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its to scare old ladies, nothing I think works better than a simpson bandit and black visor
flak monkey

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW The Nitro helmet I got is Fibreglass, not polycarb. Its covered in stickers around the back, ACU (BMS), ECER etc. Weight its 1540g according to the sticker on the back.

As for the black visor, its more a style thing I guess, but it should be good for glare reduction in the summer as well. I wear glasses anyway, and somewhere I have a pair of prescription sunglasses, though they are a bit out of date now! I have got a clear visor as well, as all helmets are supplied with clear ones in the UK, not with tinted/mirrored etc.

David

Sera

RichieC

posted on 18/1/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate, I was meaning polycarb lids in general, not yours. A mate has a Nitro for arsing about on our mini motos and it seems fine.

Rich

Triton

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree.....
white Simpson bandit with black visor.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ever tried taking sunglasses off while moving?....whooosh gone! Black visor is the best bet unless it's dark that is, then a clear one is a good idea if you like seeing where you are going

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
You could always get a Caberg helmet - most come with a built-in secondary dark visor that's lowered by pulling a lever on the side. Very convenient. You can get a double-glazed clear visor to go with it, as well.

Trouble is - they're just a wee bit more than £50.

David

flak monkey

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets being put to good use. Nice and comfy and doesn't even steam up a bit. (Was a little chilly out on Saturday (see pic)!) Highly recommended by me anyway

David Rescued attachment In car 2sm.JPG
Rescued attachment In car 2sm.JPG

Sera

Alan B

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Only slightly relevant, and probably even less interesting, but..... I had heard that one of the main differences between bike and car helmets was the fact that the car lining/insides had to be more fire retardant than bike one.....makes sense I guess...
dnmalc

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not covered so far in this thread is the noise factor haveing used Bell helmets in the past which were superb for wind noise I bought a AGV helmet last year (they must be good Ago used to wear one) only to find the noise from the visor is appalling. As you don't find this out until its too late to change it. I would urge your to find somebody with the model you like and ask them about wind noise.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.