Board logo

Exhaust manifold heat shield...
scoop - 14/8/08 at 11:30 AM

Is Ali too soft for the job or should i use stainless instead? It will be bolted to the mani' itself.
Steve.

JAG - 14/8/08 at 11:53 AM

I've used Aluminium, it was fine.

engine with exhaust heat shield
engine with exhaust heat shield

[Edited on 14/8/08 by JAG]

pewe - 14/8/08 at 11:59 AM

I've used some soffit board from the local builders merchant - used to be asbestos but is now some fire-resistant stuff and it's cheapish! Secured to two of the manifold pipes using some large diam. spring tool clips.
Seems to work OK on the small amount of running I've done idling on the drive - at least the clutch cable's still unmelted!
Can take a pic or two in interested.
Cheers, Pewe

scoop - 14/8/08 at 12:05 PM

The reason i ask is because i have loads of ali' lying about but no stainless

Humbug - 14/8/08 at 12:21 PM

I've used ali bent to fit, secured at one end with tabs on the manifold bolts and the main part fixed with an exhasut clamp to one of the pipes. Been there for a while with no apparent problems.

[Edited on 14.08.2008 by Humbug]

JAG - 14/8/08 at 12:47 PM

On my car (in the picture I posted) the heat shield has three legs rivetted to it, each leg is about 50mm long. The ends of the legs are 'L' shaped and rest on the manifold pipes.

Then a jubilee clip was passed around the manifold pipe and the end of the leg pushed under it and the clamp tightened up.

The black tube running across it is the wiring loom in black corrugated tubing and this has not melted in the 7000 miles I've covered to date.

Mix - 14/8/08 at 03:40 PM

Hi

Alloy will be fine as long as it can be supported adequately to prevent work hardening and subsequent cracking.

Regards Mick

Shamrock GS - 14/8/08 at 05:15 PM

I stuck heat resistant , reflective blanket to the underside of the bonnet. Never had any problems and my exhaust exits over the top of the chassis rail so is much closer to the bonnet itself.

Gary

scoop - 15/8/08 at 09:31 AM

Many thanks. Ill use the ali' ive got then but go for the thicker stuff.
Ta, Steve.