Board logo

Why, oh why?
C10CoryM - 26/7/07 at 02:44 AM

Do you guys always stick the battery so high up in the car?

I am partially joking, but also wondering why on such a light car you put what is probaby the 6th heaviest component so high up. It looks like there is usually room lower in front of the passenger footbox.
Maybe left over from the days of old lucas wiring so you can disconnect the battery in a hurry?
Cheers.

James - 26/7/07 at 02:51 AM

Mine's in the passenger footwell!

And I'm planning to move it out as it's a pain in the arse losing the storage space!

designer - 26/7/07 at 06:19 AM

The basic principle of the battery is that it should be mounted as near to the starter motor as possible due to the voltage drop in the wire.

Avoneer - 26/7/07 at 06:23 AM

Mines' on the floor behind the steering rack.

Pat...

worX - 26/7/07 at 06:56 AM

my battery is mounted in front of the passenger footwell, and still utilises the leads from the bike...

Steve
Description
Description

Agriv8 - 26/7/07 at 07:04 AM

Mine in the passenger footwell !.

Under the scuttle ( so cant see that the wireing is that much longer than having it sat on the scuttle )

Oh it also helps to keep the battery cool !

regards

Agriv8

mark chandler - 26/7/07 at 08:11 AM

Mines right by the engine also, but I dragged everything I could inside the wheel base of the car so the Rad moved back also.

Advantage of both weight, standard battery leads from bike and regulator sits by battery so gets lots of passing air. Rescued attachment battery.JPG
Rescued attachment battery.JPG

nick205 - 26/7/07 at 08:31 AM

Mine's on above the passenger footwell in the engine bay. The battery to starter lead is now thicker and shorter than in the donor car.

I'd like to have put it in front of the footwell in the engine bay, but with a car engine and battery there wasn't enough room.

I did also consider taking some space inside the passenger footwell, but that would make it very awkward for passengers and reduce the already minimal stowage space too.

russbost - 26/7/07 at 08:45 AM

"The basic principle of the battery is that it should be mounted as near to the starter motor as possible due to the voltage drop in the wire."

Well, yes when we had inertia starters & points ignition. Nowadays there is no reason not to put the battery in the most advantageous place - surely for 7 clones that would be behind the rear axle, get some weight over those driving wheels!

nitram38 - 26/7/07 at 09:27 AM

There is not much volt drop in battery cable if you use the right size!
If you move a battery further away, just get a slightly bigger cable.

iank - 26/7/07 at 09:48 AM

Mini worked perfectly well with the battery in the boot.

As nitram38 says if you get the correct size cable you can put it in the best place for weight distribution.

lsdweb - 26/7/07 at 11:49 AM

I'd suggest go on:
A - Safest position
B - Best for weight distribution
C - Shortest cable runs (alhtough not a huge problem)

Mine's under my knees btw.

Wyn

Hellfire - 26/7/07 at 04:15 PM

Centrally mounted behind steering rack level with bottom of chassis.

Steve

RoadkillUK - 26/7/07 at 05:42 PM

Does it really matter? Just make sure you've got one that works