Board logo

Pics of the trailer
JoelP - 20/2/06 at 02:54 PM

coming along now, i had a brief burst of activity when i thought id have to use it to get to cadwell yesterday, fortunately avoided that one. Two pics here, the red lines are planned structural additions, the remaining shape (its a box trailer-to-be) will be made from 19mm square tube, covered in ally.

Any ideas on the best way to prevent rust on the steel parts that wont prevent ally being sikaflex'd on, as i dont want to use rivets? Rescued attachment trailer1a.JPG
Rescued attachment trailer1a.JPG

JoelP - 20/2/06 at 02:54 PM

numero 2. A few lines are missed so it doesnt look cluttered, main thing not obvious is the triangle on the roof.

[Edited on 20/2/06 by JoelP] Rescued attachment trailer1b.JPG
Rescued attachment trailer1b.JPG

omega 24 v6 - 20/2/06 at 06:23 PM

Erm what about brakes it'll need them if it's over 750kg or half the kerb weight of the towing vehicle. (laden weight that is)

JoelP - 20/2/06 at 08:48 PM

750kgs is the target, 550 in the car leaves 200 for the trailer. I can still lift one end one handed, so i think i should make it. Tow car is a 406 estate, but im thinking of getting a 4x4 soon anyway. The 406 isnt far off 1500kgs anyway.

Simon - 20/2/06 at 09:08 PM

Get yourself a classic Range Rover. With linked brakes, they're legal for towing about 8 tons

ATB

Simon

JoelP - 20/2/06 at 09:11 PM

sounds good! but whats linked brakes?!

JoelP - 10/3/06 at 10:37 PM

trailers coming on well, the tops all on, i towed it down to my brothers house yesterday to store it for a bit, got up to 50mph with no drama. A few things occured to me, regarding the law on trailers. A break away cable is usually used to put the brakes on, is it worth having one anyway incase the primary coupling fails? If so, what? Also, it looked a bit dark in my wing mirrors, anyone know the law regarding where reflectors should be? Or running side lights?

And finally, the manufacturers plate. Im thinking i just make this myself and rivet it on, with as many details as i can muster. Anyone know for sure what it needs to say?

wish id taken some photos, it looks well cool!

Simon - 10/3/06 at 11:13 PM

Joel

No idea, but it's just something that was in the owners manual, I guess it's a bit like an HGV trailer with a dry break in the brake lines, sort of thing.

ATB

Simon