Board logo

New Project
Rob Lane - 18/12/04 at 01:13 PM

I've started a new project but perhaps a bit easier than a full build.

Follow link for 'Latest Project' here :-

http://www.domsat.co.uk/pages/locost.htm

By the way, anyone know a 'Locostracer' on ebay?

zilspeed - 18/12/04 at 01:42 PM

I think you have ride height issues...

There's a Melvyn Hartley up here who has been succesful with a gemini for years. Still using a crossflow - still up there and competing.

Rob Lane - 18/12/04 at 04:03 PM

Ride height needs a slight adjustment

Maybe good for off road ??

Trev Borg on here has a very nice Gemini, he and I have been in email contact.

I hope to detail the rebuild on the website. I've a few ideas on a power plant, the crossflow is not ruled out. I have extensive knowledge of the xflows anyway and some parts left.
A 4AGE seems favourite at the moment due to having a spare engine and box available. Fit it with throttle bodies and a Megasquirt and it's well away. Only problem is I sold the Megasquirt just a couple of weeks ago
Oh well build another

Peteff - 18/12/04 at 04:49 PM

Have you any pictures of the chassis without the body on ?.

Rob Lane - 18/12/04 at 05:50 PM

Not yet Pete. I will post some on Monday all being well.

DEAN C. - 18/12/04 at 06:51 PM

I've got a spare MGB engine Rob!
OW !! That hurt!

krlthms - 18/12/04 at 08:22 PM

I like the baby E-type look; very classic (& classy). Are the bodies still made?
KT

Rob Lane - 18/12/04 at 10:55 PM

Yep, still made.

See here http://www.kitsnclassics.com/gemini.html

Dean, I still want to walk, another MGB experience could finish me.

[Edited on 18/12/04 by Rob Lane]

gazza285 - 18/12/04 at 11:22 PM

Saw it on eBay, our lass vetoed any competition you might have had from me.

Rob Lane - 19/12/04 at 06:54 PM

Well, collected and paid for today.

Long journey down to Kent but clear roads anyway.

The photos don't do it justice, apart from dusty and scruffy body, it all should clean up nicely.

I have chassis in garage and will take some decent photos tomorrow in the daylight. Will post on website.

If I really wanted, I could have it as a running chassis in a week, just working at night.

The seats are slightly dusty but new Richfields in dark blue. Shocks are Spax adjustables.

It was originally built in Huddersfield !!

Volvorsport - 19/12/04 at 07:29 PM

ahhh , a gemini - hmm they adapters for volvo engines !

gazza285 - 19/12/04 at 08:06 PM

Made in Huddersfield eh? It's got to be fantastic then.

Rob Lane - 20/12/04 at 08:06 AM

Vulvasport,
which one of the models?

I've seen a 440 at side of road for £150 as a runner.

No, actually I've just won a bid on a 4age with all ancillaries, so I think that can go in.

Two cars with same engines and electronics is easier to deal with if there's a problem.

(Must learn to spell)

Volvorsport - 20/12/04 at 03:24 PM

ahh yes , the ebay 4age , you can buy a whole car for the price you paid for that - and i mean the 180hp 2.3 version.

Rob Lane - 21/12/04 at 08:55 AM

I wouldn't have minded a Volvo engine but the 4AGE was reasonable cost for everything to do the job.

There's also continuity having two cars with the same setup, makes life a little easier.
I have a very nice rebuilt short engine sat here waiting for the donor ancillary parts from my ebay buy.

I've bribed my son with a new exhaust for his car so he will collect the 4AGE for me. It's a 500 mile round trip in my diesel Fiesta van, very noisy!!

I intended to do some cleaning of the chassis and seats yesterday but unfortunately I had been working all day in snow/sleet getting wet. This left me with a stinking cold last night.
Baileys in decaff coffee put me nicely to sleep early. Maybe tonight I can tidy things up for pictures.

[Edited on 21/12/04 by Rob Lane]

Volvorsport - 21/12/04 at 01:03 PM

yeah , wasnt maning the 4age wasnt good - some people miss the point when it comes to volvo , im just trying to pass it on .

Rob Lane - 21/12/04 at 05:34 PM

No offence taken you know! Still friends

I like the Volvos, hell I'm running one now as a daily driver.

Now, a nice T5 engine, that would be something

Surprisingly the Gemini is a lower car than the 7 , both body and chassis. It rides very low off ground.

I will have to have the intake plenum cut again to fit under bodywork.

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of cutting front section, this is offered as a factory option but this body came one piece. When cut the front flips as e-type style. I thought of making the lighting loom detacheable front and rear. That way I could have flip hinges that lift off and a rear section that could be unbolted for lifting off.
I don't yet know how feasable that is.

Many years ago I fitted a fibreglass flip front to a Mini which had lift aside hinges once front was fully open. That's what I had in mind.

DEAN C. - 21/12/04 at 05:54 PM

Flip front is the way to go,my back wont stand leaning over the little engine hatch(sorry I meant bonnet).
Must admit though you may loose some rigidity if its not beefed up underneath though to stop flexing.Might not be as straightforward as first thought.
Looks much better in the flesh than any of the pictures suggest,and I was very impressed to see how much it has in common with the Locost in chassis design,even a little neater perhaps.
DEAN

Volvorsport - 21/12/04 at 06:17 PM

hmmm, i have a nice T5 engine ( in fact two) in my workshop , one with big rods and pistons for mega boost and about 500 hp . the other actually is on the dyno at mr vesseys .

The way we used to fit the front bodywork at darrian would be to bond the front quarter panels in with some sheet grp . basically youve boxed the front quarters under the lights . to those boxes mount a plate with a tube in it that fits pip pins , about 3 inch long so they click into place , from the chassis make two triangular plates that have holes in that obviously mount the bodywork in the right place when the pip pins are mounted through , a tube was welded all the way across to keep everything in position . now you have a tilting front , that also can be completely removed .

hope that make ssense anyway - if not ill draw something .

Rob Lane - 21/12/04 at 07:29 PM

I think I get the idea. Sort of drilled tube with 'R' clips. Are these pip pins?

Volvorsport - 21/12/04 at 07:38 PM

if you look in demon tweeks catalogue( although dont buy from there) basically they are pins that you have a button to push like on a ratchet so you can release them from their tube - a picture is a thousand words ! , i may have to draw one .

DEAN C. - 21/12/04 at 07:56 PM

MMmm! the simple tidy up and rebuild list looks like it's getting a bit more serious.

Rob Lane - 21/12/04 at 09:41 PM

It just f@*!**g has !

Bloke on ebay with engine didn't change his address location when he moved !!

Engines in Deal near Dover

That's a full day to-morrow to fetch it, Dominic won't go on his own to Dover so I'm sharing driving !

Rob Lane - 21/12/04 at 09:47 PM

Dean,

Calmed down a bit now.

At least I will have some time to mess with car over Xmas. We are closed for business from Friday morning till Jan 4th.

I forgot to mention, I managed to at least clean the seats properly to-night. They look very good.

DEAN C. - 21/12/04 at 10:43 PM

I wonder if that alters the price,allowing for extra fuel seeing as he hadn't notified the change of address?

DEAN

Rorty - 22/12/04 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
I think I get the idea. Sort of drilled tube with 'R' clips. Are these pip pins?

A bit more sophistimacated than an "R" clip. Pushing in the button on the top releases the two sprung ball bearings which then allow it to be withdrawn from its hole. Rescued attachment pip-pin01.jpg
Rescued attachment pip-pin01.jpg

ned - 22/12/04 at 10:25 AM

those clips as per rorty's pic are excellent, we use 4 of them to hold the rear wing on one of our racecar's as it allows for quick removal of the wing in order to get the rear bodywork off when you need to attend to the engine..

Ned.

Volvorsport - 22/12/04 at 12:16 PM

see , a picture is a thousand words !

id definitely be bargaining a lesser price for going to dover - come on , its the arse end of britain .

Rob Lane - 22/12/04 at 07:04 PM

Back again, 12 hours journey in total !

The engine and loom is spot on. I have all the ancillaries with it. I even have the service book showing all servicing done.

I actually gave him a tenner more for all the extra bits. I felt sorry for the kid, he was a nice lad, 18 year old with third party only insurance.
Someone had driven into side and wrecked the car and driven off. He's now on foot till he can afford another.

DEAN C. - 22/12/04 at 10:36 PM

Always knew you were a softie at heart Rob,

krlthms - 23/12/04 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Back again, 12 hours journey in total !

The engine and loom is spot on. I have all the ancillaries with it. I even have the service book showing all servicing done.

I actually gave him a tenner more for all the extra bits. I felt sorry for the kid, he was a nice lad, 18 year old with third party only insurance.
Someone had driven into side and wrecked the car and driven off. He's now on foot till he can afford another.

'tiz the season
KT