Board logo

Subaru, Motorbike & Volvo
phelpsa - 11/12/04 at 03:58 PM

We are looking at taking a European driving holiday and would like to take the Subaru and motorbike (Honda Hornet). Because the Subaru is not as comfortable for my dad as our Volvo (he has had a lower back operation) we would like to tow the Subaru and bike. The kerb weight of the Subaru (2002 Impreza WRX 4-door) is 1395kg and the bike dry weight is 180kg. The Volvo's max towing weight is 1800kg. I have looked into and have found that it is highly unlikely that we would be able to do this, but any other ideas than both on a trailer?

Adam

Volvorsport - 11/12/04 at 04:11 PM

you could put the bike on the volvo , and use an A frame , but for long distances i discourage a lot of towing especially anything 4wd , purely because oil pump in gearbox isnt working(unsure of subaru) , the trailer is the best bet , the bike being 180kgs , would be over the limit on a roof , can you not ride the bike ?

phelpsa - 11/12/04 at 04:21 PM

Unfortunately only one driver (my dad). Maybe we would think about fitting a (removable) towbar to the Subaru, but lots of stops when we go. It would make travelling a bit easier with a lot less strain on the car. The Subaru isn;t bad on his back (if it was he wouldn't have bought it), it just isn't as good as the Volvo.

Adam

Peteff - 11/12/04 at 04:53 PM

They'll all fit in and you can kip in it as well. Rescued attachment racetruck.gif
Rescued attachment racetruck.gif

zetec - 11/12/04 at 05:10 PM

Looked at A frames and using a dolly on here before. Unless the car is really light (Car and trailer less than 750KG) then the towed vehicle needs to have automatic brakes. The only time a dolly can be used is to remove a car to a safe place if it breaks down.

[Edited on 11/12/04 by zetec]

phelpsa - 11/12/04 at 05:20 PM

Okay, looks like it's towbar on Subaru.

So, Subaru official (£250) or Towsure(£190), or suggestions.

Adam

krlthms - 11/12/04 at 07:06 PM

I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you are going to use point X as your vacation base, then use the WRX for trips from that point, and the bike for running around, you may want to consider putting the WRX on a train to point X. In the old days it was surprisingly cheap. How cheap? If you were going to southern Italy from the UK for example, then shipping the car and travelling with it on the same train was cheaper than paying for gas and motorway tolls.
Alternatively, you may be able to make a deal with someone such a student going on vacation to drive the car to point X, then back (they should pay YOU for getting to drive the Sube!).
The point about towing 4wd on a dolly being bad for the drive train I heard before, but I am not sure how it works.
Cheers
KT

[Edited on 11/12/04 by krlthms]

phelpsa - 11/12/04 at 08:50 PM

A family holiday around Europe. We would go through the Salvio pass (bike) and then onto the Nurburgring (Subaru and Bike). I think that taking the Volvo onto the Nurburgring might get others a little annoyed

stephen_gusterson - 12/12/04 at 12:23 AM

dont forget that often the towing weight of the car is for a car with ONE passenger.

You need to add to the sum all the extra passengers, the luggage AND the trailer.

I recon you are gonna go over the limit even if you dont take the bike.......

atb

steve

gazza285 - 12/12/04 at 10:39 AM

Why not take the Volvo on the 'Ring? When my mate took his Dax there were all sorts of stuff going round, including sight seeing coaches.

phelpsa - 12/12/04 at 11:07 AM

This is the max Towing weight, not the max gross weight. The max gross weight would include passangers, luggage etc.

We are not allowed to take the Volvo, the insurance specifies 'All of europe except Unlimited toll roads'.

Adam

[Edited on 12/12/04 by phelpsa]