Board logo

Nothing new, but i thought i would share!
flak monkey - 26/1/04 at 11:27 PM

Hi everyone....am pretty new to this site and dont know if this will work. If it does the pic is of what i have just spent all evening doing. Like the title says, nothing new...just my version.

(Kidding my self its helping with the design work for my degree too )

If it doesnt work then there is a tiny version over there <<<< but a bigger version on my site....see link below. (Be warned its pretty crud at the mo!)

Am wishing i had a tv here so could have watched that speed cam program...did you see it when top gear tried to beat the cameras?

mackie - 27/1/04 at 09:44 AM

Good job, are you using solidworks?
We have this currently: Rescued attachment for-noodle-1.jpg
Rescued attachment for-noodle-1.jpg

flak monkey - 27/1/04 at 10:06 AM

Looking good!! Like i say mine isnt finished yet....

I am using Pro Desktop 2000i2 , it was free for ages, but i have a feeling you cant get it any more.

It seems a lot of people use solid works, it any good? and if so where can you get it?

Cheers

Simon - 27/1/04 at 12:11 PM

Stop mucking around with the PC. In an evening, you could tack a REAL chassis together

ATB

Simon

flak monkey - 27/1/04 at 12:32 PM

Hi Simon,

I really wish i could....

Am at uni and have nowhere to do a real one yet, damn. Maybe over the summer if i can get the money...that then leaves me with the problem of what to do with it when i get back to uni again....

James - 27/1/04 at 05:53 PM

Mackie,

You appear to be powering your car with a large anvil- is this true?

James

P.S. I thought it was only those of us with Pintos that were doing that!

Kitlooney1000 - 28/1/04 at 08:26 PM

True,,,,LOL

blueshift - 28/1/04 at 09:04 PM

yeah, we heard most people were using a pinto "boat anchor" so thought we'd go one better.

if we ever run into a truck it's going to get a nasty surprise.

flak monkey - 28/1/04 at 10:14 PM

So then out of the pinto and x-flow which is the better engine for the locost? (Im keeping it simple, when i get round to it)

I know the pinto needs mods to fit into a normal chassis, but that doesnt bother me.

Just wondering what peoples preferences are and why...since you all refer to the pinto as an anchor...

JoelP - 29/1/04 at 09:43 AM

one pinto problem is the exhaust being on the drivers side, make it harder to get the steering and brakes to fit.

Viper - 29/1/04 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
one pinto problem is the exhaust being on the drivers side, make it harder to get the steering and brakes to fit.

Thats not a real problem with hthe pinto, if you want to you can get a manifolf that wraps around the back of the head, and the avon uses a pinto without a problem, the real drawback with the pinto is the height of it...
Tim

ChrisW - 29/1/04 at 12:09 PM

..and the weight!

Use a nice v6 like mine. It may weigh a lot but at least it has reasonable power. If I was building a 'normal' sized car I'd be going for the 1.8 (130PS version) or 2.0 Zetec on running either megasquirt or 40's.

Chris

timf - 29/1/04 at 12:11 PM

other thing about a pinto is the silencer is on the drivers side so when you get out you can burm your legs as opposed to the passengers with a x flow

mackie - 29/1/04 at 12:15 PM

Whereas we V8 chaps have the luxury of burnt legs all round! Woo!

ned - 29/1/04 at 01:18 PM

personal opinion i'd rather fit a crossflow than a pinto.
unless you pickup a cosworth head to fit onto a 205 pinto block...

Ned.

Viper - 29/1/04 at 02:02 PM

trouble with the crossflow, is powerfull ones are becoming difficult to find and are a pain to drive, unless you have a stock item then they are bit limp.....
i would suggest Zetec (if you want ford) is the way to go, they are plentifull, reasonably powefull and not a lot of dosh...
I have gone with a pinto coz i had the bits to make one go well.
Tim.

timf - 29/1/04 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
unless you pickup a cosworth head to fit onto a 205 pinto block...

Ned.

cosworth heads need a lot of porting work done to them to use them n/a not to mention a set of cams.

if you can find one a warrior 16v head is miles better.

thebutler - 29/1/04 at 02:59 PM

One thing to bear in mind with the Zetec route is price. Theres lot's of extra bits to buy to do it properly - Shortend sump, aftermaket ecu, etc, etc. Even things like inlet manifolds for twin weber's - which are plentiful and cheap for pinto's & xflow's - cost a lot more for a zetec. Of course you don't have to buy this stuff if your talented enought to fabricate it! Sadly I'm not.

As always budget is the only limiting factor to your imagination

Steve

[Edited on 29/1/04 by thebutler]